Options

Typing without looking at the keyboard...

Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,456
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying - and so far failing miserably - to touch type. It's harder than I thought it would be.

OK, it's time to show off - if you can do it!

The reply you make to this post, type while looking at the screen without looking at the keyboard and then hit the reply button.

I was looking at the keyboard when I posted this by the way, so I was cheating ;)

Give it a go!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can touch-type anyway. :p
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    I can type withour lookingf at the keyboard

EDIT: Could've ben worse

EDIT2: I was looking at the keyboard then :o
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »

Same - it was how I was trained, on old manual typewriters nearly 30 years ago. I must admit, I'm a bit more lazy in recent years, but I don't do much typing anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's cheating!

Oh, I managed to do that!

Not bad!
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Touch typing isn't difficult, it just takes a bit of practise. The more you practise the easier it becomes. I wish I'd learned to do it properly (all fingers touching the keyboard at the same time), but I ended up getting faster and finding it easier not to look at the keyboard with only my two index fingers, the thumbs for the space bar, and the 3rd finger on the right hand for the delete key!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typing with my eyes closed.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can touch type. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Touch typing isn't difficult, it just takes a bit of practise. The more you practise the easier it becomes. I wish I'd learned to do it properly (all fingers touching the keyboard at the same time), but I ended up getting faster and finding it easier not to look at the keyboard with only my two index fingers, the thumbs for the space bar, and the 3rd finger on the right hand for the delete key!

I touch type, always have done. I get confused if looking at the keyboard. My fingers know where the letters are if my eyes don't. And no, I didn't look at the keyboard once writing this :p
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,187
    Forum Member
    I can touch type, I can do about 55-60wpm these days. When I used to do a lot of typing it was quite a bit more...

Practice makes perfect.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can touch type when I don't think about it but as soon as I realise I am doing it I start going wrong! It dawned on me a few years ago when I was writing reports for my job that I could copy my notes without looking at the screen or keyboard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typing with my eyes closed.
    Here's my attempt at typing the same ("typing with my eyes closed")

Typih woyj u eies c;;soed

^
    They're back open now. Nope, that didn't work very well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I assumed most people could touch type apart from the oldies.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I used to work in an office the receptionist could touch type. She'd be typing away while looking at you and having a conversation, I found it quite unnerving to be honest.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can touch type; it's harder actually looking at the keyboard :D Even worse, most of the keys are rubbed blank from use on my keyboard, so if I look it really confuses me lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazziee wrote: »
    Hahaha :D Many oldies, as you put it, learned to touch type many years ago, on typewriters. I wouldn't dream of looking at the keyboard whilst typing.

You young people think you invented typing? :D
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazziee, touch typing is how people were trained years ago, so us oldies will be able to, rather than be the exception. Secretaries copy-type, which is what Pull2Open us describing. Nowadays, youngsters learn to type from being on Facebook and fora all the time, or learning to code. I know my kids did. They're very fast at typing as well, but they can't touch-type.

Edit: Muggins, snap. :D

Edit again: :o I actually remember having seriously strong hands back in the days of manual typewriters! Getting your little fingers to bash down the A and semicolon keys with the same pressure as the other fingers was a challenge at first. :D
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I van sort of touch type, bur no veru well,

That's my attempt.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I touch type. If I'm ever posting on here in the middle of the night, I'll be typing in the dark. It's improved my typing :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member

As one of the oldies I'm not sure why you thought that? Anyone who learned to touch-type before word processors were common had to be accurate first time (and also be able to spell - no spellcheckers in those days!). I taught myself to type while at uni and have found it useful ever since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm 25. As "one of the oldies", I can touch-type. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's probably why I can't do it :cry:
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I can touch type I'm doing this without looking

:)
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 25. As "one of the oldies", I can touch-type. :p

You so cannot be 'one of the oldies' at 25 :p
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I can kind of do it for a short amount of time, although I usually have to look every now and then. I actually touch typed this post, except for the initial "I"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Jazziee, touch typing is how people were trained years ago, so us oldies will be able to, rather than be the exception. Secretaries copy-type, which is what Pull2Open us describing. Nowadays, youngsters learn to type from being on Facebook and fora all the time, or learning to code. I know my kids did. They're very fast at typing as well, but they can't touch-type.

Edit: Muggins, snap. :D

Edit again: :o I actually remember having seriously strong hands back in the days of manual typewriters! Getting your little fingers to bash down the A and semicolon keys with the same pressure as the other fingers was a challenge at first. :D
    Young people are so funny aren't they, most of the modern technology in use today was thought of, created, invented by people much older than them, many of them so old that they are long dead :D

edit: Remember the old Adler typewriters, god they were hard to press down :D