Options

Why is there so little output from the new Who?

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how someone's 'source' who 'works on the show' has been able to confirm major plot points for someone but not confirm or deny if Classic Doctors are appearing or not. Which seems odd seeing as this impeccable sources friend is particularly vexed by this issue. One would assume it would've been the first question asked.

It...almost...makes you....question. The validity. Of the...source. *pulls Shatner face*
  • Options
    James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure a lot of the general audience who will watch the 50th won't have seen/won't care about Time Crash. Also, pretty sure Time Differential only explains an aged appearance, not massive weight gain. (Poor Colin.)

I think you need to watch it again Peter Davison isn't exactly skinny either and they did reference that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how someone's 'source' who 'works on the show' has been able to confirm major plot points for someone but not confirm or deny if Classic Doctors are appearing or not. Which seems odd seeing as this impeccable sources friend is particularly vexed by this issue. One would assume it would've been the first question asked.

It...almost...makes you....question. The validity. Of the...source. *pulls Shatner face*

My sources says the classic Doctor's aren't in it but he has said he's thrown in a few red herring so that he doesn't completely spoiler the episode for me so I'm still hopeful.

I can understand you not believing me though seeing as I have no proof
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James_Vick wrote: »
    I think you need to watch it again Peter Davison isn't exactly skinny either and they did reference that

But Colin is after Peter, thus should suffer less from the Differential, and he was placed on a rather strict diet exercise regime near the end of his life... *carrot juice* :D

Suspension of disbelief will still be tested ridiculously. Again, the general audience probably won't have watched/remembered Time Crash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Colin is after Peter, thus should suffer less from the Differential, and he was placed on a rather strict diet exercise regime near the end of his life... *carrot juice* :D

Suspension of disbelief will still be tested ridiculously. Again, the general audience probably won't have watched/remembered Time Crash.

I think your being very cruel to Colin he's not that big, in fact he's about the same build as Peter, maybe just a little bit bigger
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See Time Crash!!!!! (which was written by Moffat)

I'm not saying that you can't provide an explanation of the Doctors' changed appearance within a script (plainly you can), but there was a reason for italicising the Doctors they remember in my previous post.

I don't know how old you are, or how much you have seen of William Hartnell's era. I watched Doctor Who from the first episode, and for me Hartnell is the Doctor, far superior to his successors, none of whom matched his range and sparkle.

The Three Doctors was (and still is) an immensely distressing story for me to watch. Hartnell plays the Doctor again, but this is far from being a celebration. Gone are all the liveliness and skill: here we have an obviously sick man reading words off a cue-card with very little indication that he even understands them. I would not wish that experience, or anything like it, on anyone else.

You cannot bring back what has gone: let's just be grateful for what we have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    I'm not saying that you can't provide an explanation of the Doctors' changed appearance within a script (plainly you can), but there was a reason for italicising the Doctors they remember in my previous post.

I don't know how old you are, or how much you have seen of William Hartnell's era. I watched Doctor Who from the first episode, and for me Hartnell is the Doctor, far superior to his successors, none of whom matched his range and sparkle.

The Three Doctors was (and still is) an immensely distressing story for me to watch. Hartnell plays the Doctor again, but this is far from being a celebration. Gone are all the liveliness and skill: here we have an obviously sick man reading words off a cue-card with very little indication that he even understands them. I would not wish that experience, or anything like it, on anyone else.

You cannot bring back what has gone: let's just be grateful for what we have.

I seen all of Hartnell's era that still exists and he's one of my least favourite Doctors, but thats doesn't mean I don't like his Doctor I just means that I like a number of the other Doctors more. http://www.imdb.com/list/PmZhMAXC3z0/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seen all of Hartnell's era that still exists and he's one of my least favourite Doctors, but thats doesn't mean I don't like his Doctor I just means that I like a number of the other Doctors more. http://www.imdb.com/list/PmZhMAXC3z0/

Thank you for the link, which was interesting: I wish I had something similar to offer in return, but I'm afraid my web presence outside this forum is negligible.

So, having seen all that survives of Hartnell's era, how do you feel about his appearance in The Three Doctors? Does it live up to what had gone before, or is it a disappointment?
  • Options
    Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member

IMDB, much like Wikipedia is not a reliable source.. I doubt if you did a Poll here, Matt Smith and Christopher Eccleston wouldn't have fallen so far from the top!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMDB, much like Wikipedia is not a reliable source.. I doubt if you did a Poll here, Matt Smith and Christopher Eccleston wouldn't have fallen so far from the top!

It's not a poll :rolleyes: it's my list :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, having seen all that survives of Hartnell's era, how do you feel about his appearance in The Three Doctors? Does it live up to what had gone before, or is it a disappointment?

I think it was a nice touch, if a little sad, I was just pleased that he made one last appearance before his passing, much like I was Troughton and Pertwee
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    old who was drama. its all in the script. after its on tape you just edit.

nu who is a video game, basically. once filmed then you need a geeky bloke fiddling with effects on a computer for some time ........

I would have said Classic Who was a kid's show, while NuWho is drama.

And since all Who is sci-fi I think the FX and pretty integral to the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I would have said Classic Who was a kid's show, while NEW Who is drama

The classic series was not a kid's show it was made my the BBC drama department to appeal to a family audience, so if anything it's a family show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a nice touch, if a little sad, I was just pleased that he made one last appearance before his passing, much like I was Troughton and Pertwee

Thank you. Obviously, my own reaction was very different. I don't think we're ever going to agree on this, but I feel I now understand your position better (and I hope I've done something to explain my own).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you. Obviously, my own reaction was very different. I don't think we're ever going to agree on this, but I feel I now understand your position better (and I hope I've done something to explain my own).

Indeed you have :)
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic for a second, but in "The Rings of Akhaten" Why doesn't it work?

Back on topic, the idea of the older Doctors as they now appear would be a disaster IMO. The way they were portrayed in "The Name of The Doctor" was effective I thought.

Because Rings of Akhaten was garbage.
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    On the subject of fat & balding old Docs (slightly off the topic of my original posting here but that's okay :D), what about if they brought back the old Docs and used the same clever technology like they did with making Jeff Bridges young again in Tron Legacy? Even if it was just briefly (because of the cost factor).
    Alternatively, you could bring back a Doctor like Tom Baker (just bring him across as he was near the end of Leisure Hive), i.e. an old man
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*EDIT*
    That will be a question to Peter when I meet him at the next CON. I'd love to record HIS opinion on it.

Oh I would love to see that interview. 'Right then baldy, are you gonna put the pies down long enough to play Five again or shall we just stick with the Androzani DVDs for the rest of time?Whaddya mean you're leaving? You've forgotten to answer the question! Pete! Pete! Peeetttteee!!!!!!':D
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Referring to the OP's question - maybe Moffat thinks letting the audience wanting more is the model to adopt similar to Sherlock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not a poll :sleep: it's my list :) it clearly has comments on my personal history with some of the Doctor's i.e. "joint favourite, Eccleston may be my first Doctor but it was Tennant who turned me from a casual viewer into a fan." under David and "joint favourite, while Tennant turned me into a fan, it was the episode School Reunion that made me go and buy some classic series DVDs (Resurrection of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, The Three Doctors and the Ark in Space), I watched Resurrection first and thought it was okay but when I got to the Ark in Space I was completely blown away by Tom's Doctor and for that moment on I was no longer just a fan, I was a hardcore Whovian." under Tom
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Apart from soaps, Waterloo Road and Casualty (which are both bordering on soap, if not a full-blown soap anyway) I can't think of any dramas which have more than 20 episodes per year.
    Holby City, obviously, is another. By the way, Waterloo Road is no longer over 20 episodes - the current series will have exactly 20 episodes.
    CD93 wrote: »
    If this is the 8th anniversary special, THEN WHERE THE F**K IS BRUNO LANGLEY?!?! :mad:
    Weatherfield.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Referring to the OP's question - maybe Moffat thinks letting the audience wanting more is the model to adopt similar to Sherlock.
    Which I'm sorry to say I find inexcusably lazy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    If this is the 8th anniversary special, THEN WHERE THE F**K IS BRUNO LANGLEY?!?! :mad:

He wasn't a Doctor
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »

Moffat should go do 8 episodes of Sherlock a year and give Doctor Who a new showrunner. :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    Something that has perplexed me a bit is, why is there so little in the way of episodes per year of Dr Who?

If you compare with an American season they do over 20 shows. It use to be 10 to 11, but now we are talking 7 stories here with Who. If you compare to old Who they did 6 or 7 stories of at least 4 episodes, so lets say 26 to 28, 25 mins compared to 7 50 min stories -that's about half the output!!

Okay, so production standards have gone up in terms of time & cost (may be too much at the expense of other key ingredients), but I come back to this is under half what the yanks can do (& its not as though it costs the BBC a truckload as its their cash cow globally, so the more they make the more profit).

Some might argue the quality would then slip.. maybe that's it, they just don't have the number of stories (or they spend far too long on the stories that passes through) -? I don't know..
    -any thoughts?
    I've got a hunch the show may be nursing a hangover from series six - maybe, even, series five.

It's been dropping executive producers at an alarming rate, and seemingly with no emergency provision at hand. Caro Skinner mysteriously vanished not weeks after she was so excited about series eight, and they didn't have an executive producer for the anniversary special - drafted in the head of drama at the BBC! They're a good team, doing great work, but I think that's the kind of impromptu change that absolutely leaves a mark on the show. Between Beth Willis, Piers Wenger, Caro Skinner, Faith Penhale and Brian Minchin, they've had five execs since The Wedding of River Song. Granted, that episode broadcast over two years ago, now, but in episodes we're only talking slightly more than the length of a standard series.