Options

Sky Sports Winter Cricket Coverage

tim456tim456 Posts: 137
Forum Member
Saw Sky Sports winter cricket coverage promo spot during yesterday's Eng v Aus ODI and all the usual destinations for cricket over the winter months on Sky were there such as SA, India, Australia and WI along with the U19 World Cup in Dubai and T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.

There was no mention of cricket from New Zealand which have a couple of interesting series coming up at home to WI and India.

Does anyone know if Sky has a long term contract to show cricket from New Zealand like they do with Aus, India etc, or do they only sign up for certain tours? Some winters they have shown cricket from New Zealand, other winters they haven't.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Sky has a long term contract to show cricket from New Zealand like they do with Aus, India etc, or do they only sign up for certain tours? Some winters they have shown cricket from New Zealand, other winters they haven't.

I don't think any such long term deal has ever been announced - so the assumption is they just do deals for individual tours.

In contrast there are long terms deals for Aus, Ind, SA and WI - expiry dates are in links below:

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2012/three_long_term_cricket_deals_go_live_with_sky_sports

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/11979/8329194/Sky-Sports-will-show-England-s-next-four-tours-to-the-West-Indies-in-a-new-deal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I don't think any such long term deal has ever been announced - so the assumption is they just do deals for individual tours.

I don't think any long term deal with NZ cricket has been announced either. Only when England tour does it get a mention that Sky have signed a deal to show NZ v England.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was the last time Sky showed a live test from NZ which didn't involve England?
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was the last time Sky showed a live test from NZ which didn't involve England?

NZ v SA was shown in 2012.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    There was no mention of cricket from New Zealand which have a couple of interesting series coming up at home to WI and India.

The series against WI clashes with the Ashes, so Sky may not decide to show it.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    The series against WI clashes with the Ashes, so Sky may not decide to show it.

Quite often in the winter months with overseas test match cricket, when there's been more than one match at the same time, one of the matches has been broadcast via the red button. It could happen again.
    Ian.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Quite often in the winter months with overseas test match cricket, when there's been more than one match at the same time, one of the matches has been broadcast via the red button. It could happen again.
    Ian.

lets hope so, more cricket the better!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lets hope so, more cricket the better!!!

There is enough international cricket between late November and early January for Sky to bring back the Ashes channel should they choose to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thinking back over the past few years, the series shown on Sky from New Zealand other than England tours have been tours by Australia (x3 ODIs. They didn't show the test series the following year) Bangladesh, South Africa, West Indies and I think Zimbabwe.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like the Pakistan v SA series in the UAE isn't going to be shown on Sky Sports. Does anyone know if it's going to be shown anywhere in the UK? It seems to me like it would fill a nice gap before the Ashes, but perhaps not. (Plus Pakistan are always an interesting side. Often for the wrong reasons).
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    It seems like the Pakistan v SA series in the UAE isn't going to be shown on Sky Sports. Does anyone know if it's going to be shown anywhere in the UK? It seems to me like it would fill a nice gap before the Ashes, but perhaps not. (Plus Pakistan are always an interesting side. Often for the wrong reasons).

Just looked on the Sky EPG and Zee Cinema have live coverage starting 6.50am tomorrow with highlights on Zee TV 11pm.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Sadly greyed out with my package, but it was worth a try ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would have liked to have seen that series. Not paying extra on top of my Sky sub though just for one test/ODI series. I suspect Zee TV will show NZ v India in the new year now Sky aren't showing cricket from NZ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should rename Sky Sports F1 as Sky Sports Cricket during the winter when there is no F1 coverage to show.
  • Options
    plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just watching the ashes warmup match versus Australia A , and Sky are taking the aussie commentary , i take it that when the ashes start , Sky will have their own commentary team in place ?
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    platty wrote: »
    just watching the ashes warmup match versus Australia A , and Sky are taking the aussie commentary , i take it that when the ashes start , Sky will have their own commentary team in place ?
    Yes, that's what happened on the last tour of Australia. They showed the warm up match with Aussie Commentary, then when the tests started Sky used their own commentators.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles Colvile just announced during lunch in the Ashes warm-up match that Sky will have an Ashes Breakfast show at 8am each morning, after each day's play has been shown live, presumably focused on actual highlights, though probably in the format of Masters Breakfast shows during golf's US Masters. It wasn't clear how long the programme will be. Then the Ashes Verdict will be in prime-time, at 9pm, looking ahead to the next day's play, as well as reflecting on the previous day's, featuring punditry primarily from Bob Willis, Jason Gillespie, and Marcus Trescothick (with the occasional appearance from Mark Butcher around Christmas apparently). Almost certain to be an hour long again, you would think.
  • Options
    AR1983AR1983 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Sky Programme Info site it says Ashes Breakfast - LIVE is on at 8am (for an hour) and says "Rachel Brookes is joined by guests to talk about all the major talking points from (day x) of the (x test) at (x venue).

The highlights show looks like its on at 8pm each night. No actual listings for it yet but two hour gap left in listings. So an Hours Highlights then verdict at 9 looks like it.
  • Options
    Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel Brooke's ?! Surprising choice isnt it !
    She should stick to F1 me thinks.
  • Options
    plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    She's got to do something when the F1 season is over :D
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Before Sky won the F1 rights Rachel Brookes could usually be seen reporting on the Lancashire cricket matches for SSN.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She is also a massive cricket fan, and previous reporter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AR1983 wrote: »
    On Sky Programme Info site it says Ashes Breakfast - LIVE is on at 8am (for an hour) and says "Rachel Brookes is joined by guests to talk about all the major talking points from (day x) of the (x test) at (x venue).

The highlights show looks like its on at 8pm each night. No actual listings for it yet but two hour gap left in listings. So an Hours Highlights then verdict at 9 looks like it.

SPI still has them as blank slots but looks like there will be a 1 hour highlights show at 10am, 12 noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and then as you say again at 8pm with Verdict at 9pm.

I guess downside is you have to wait all day to see the Verdict!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Ian Ward is in London studio hosting role.

SPI now fully updated.

Days 2,3,3,5:
    11pm Ashes Extra Live - Ward hosting
    11.30pm Live Programme starts (11pm on Day 1)

Every day:
    8am Ashes Breakfast - Brookes
    10am and throughout day until 8pm - 1 hour highlights programme
    9pm Verdict - Colvile
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Looks like Ian Ward is in London studio hosting role.

SPI now fully updated.

Days 2,3,3,5:
    11pm Ashes Extra Live - Ward hosting
    11.30pm Live Programme starts (11pm on Day 1)

Every day:
    8am Ashes Breakfast - Brookes
    10am and throughout day until 8pm - 1 hour highlights programme
    9pm Verdict - Colvile

Dont think they are loosing much by having Ian Ward and not David Gower, .

Are we beginning to see the the end of Gower being the main man, and Ian Ward take over.

I thought we might have seen Bumble stay at home this winter due to his knee, or maybe that is fully sorted now following the operation.

Always thought Ian would take over.