Options

Big Brother Australia 2013

Comments

• Options
    HalkiHalki Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dreamworld site was evacuated today because of dangerously close grass fires. The house was considered to be at risk, but the fires were eventually controlled.

Glad it didn't happen before the series finished. :eek:
  • Options
    reddressreddress Posts: 26,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halki wrote: »
    The Dreamworld site was evacuated today because of dangerously close grass fires. The house was considered to be at risk, but the fires were eventually controlled.

Glad it didn't happen before the series finished. :eek:

Bet the producers are thanking their lucky stars they finished when they did it would have been rather awkward to evacuate and keep the HMs so isolated. BBAU take the 'cut off from the world' a lot more seriously than BBUK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing BBUK will take from this is the realisation that they'd done have to bother spending any money on music rights and can just play the same song over and over again whenever there's a party.

Still hearing "I've got the cribbbbbs, I've got the money-money-money" in my nightmares... :D

Are you crackers???!?! :eek:

That's literally what made me stop watching last year. Worst thing I've ever seen associated with any BB show. And I've seen Carole's nudie pictures :cry: :cool::p

Oh god that song I hope I never hear it again.
  • Options
    QueenPixieQueenPixie Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drully is on !!

Look at instagram and their comments
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    QueenPixie wrote: »
    Drully is on !!

Look at instagram and their comments

Is it wrong they're my favourite BB showmance since....like Craig/Anthony? :o

They didn't ruin the show with their romance AND they actually seem to make sense as a couple; that's pretty rare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on the state of play between Jade and Ed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are both seperate at the moment in their home towns but will see each other later in the week.

Tully flew to the Gold Coast for less than 24 hours to spend part of Drews birthday with him and by the looks of it consummated their relationship so they seem to be making a go of it.

BBAU really seems to do way more promos/signings with their ex HM, its looking like the last 5 out are going to be busy with commitments for another week.
  • Options
    RenThrayskRenThraysk Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crumbs, Tim auctioning off his lucky eviction jacket for charity

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Big-Brother-2013-WINNER-Tims-Eviction-Jacket-/221314685846?

Currently at $70,600 or £44,069 :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RenThraysk wrote: »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Big-Brother-2013-WINNER-Tims-Eviction-Jacket-/221314685846?

Read an article about this yesterday. He wants to help those in The Blue Mountains who lost their homes and / or possessions in the bush fires.

Good on him! What a lovely thing to do. :cool: :D
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RenThraysk wrote: »

It is very good that he's doing that, but I wish he'd stop pulling those annoying, ridiculous faces.
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really hard to fault BBAU on any level. The housemates really do go in to have a great time and it comes across to the audience beautifully due to some fantastic editing. I can honestly say i enjoyed every episode.

Other versions of BB just don't cut it. BBUK is too negative and conflict gets old real quick. Drainer. BBUS of course is all gameplay and the public don't get involved so for those reasons it doesn't deserve the Big Brother name imo. Still watch it every year though.

So yeah, BBAU is the last true BB show and it hurts to wait a whole year for the next batch of interesting characters.

Oh, and Tim is up there with my all-time favourite winners. He really did give everything and deserved to win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    It's really hard to fault BBAU on any level. The housemates really do go in to have a great time and it comes across to the audience beautifully due to some fantastic editing. I can honestly say i enjoyed every episode.

Other versions of BB just don't cut it. BBUK is too negative and conflict gets old real quick. Drainer. BBUS of course is all gameplay and the public don't get involved so for those reasons it doesn't deserve the Big Brother name imo. Still watch it every year though.

So yeah, BBAU is the last true BB show and it hurts to wait a whole year for the next batch of interesting characters.

Oh, and Tim is up there with my all-time favourite winners. He really did give everything and deserved to win.

I agree with all that, although Tim is up there on his own as my all-time favourite. :cool: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »

Perfectly put all the reasons why I've loved BBAU. Next year I will proritise it over BBUK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year's series was shit. Barely any drama. Too slow paced. Also two unlikeable winners back to back. Ben and Tim would be booed to high heavens in the UK. Jack and Joe would win big brother Australia. People would find them "hilarious" and look past their snideness and bitchiness.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,120
    Forum Member
    BBAus nowadays seem to pick central characters to win so no way would Jack and Joe be the obvious choice. Infact they would have probably won BBUK if they were more central to the key storylines, instead they were more like the background entertainers. Sam took the 'Dexter-hating' baton off them going into the last few weeks so reaped the benefits of the 'good vs evil' spin of that storyline.

Plus I wouldn't describe Tim as unlikeable, he's probably one of the few housemates of any BB that has managed to successfully combine gameplay with a likeable personality.
    I'm not keen on Ben so I wasn't keen on his victory but if Ben or Tim were booed that badly in BBUK then it simply demonstrates just how ridiculously negative BBUK is nowadays.

Anyway, looking back on previous BBUK series, plenty of housemates with unlikeable traits have been cheered by the BBUK crowd, so acting like they are some sort of moral compass is lol.
    Going on past history I think Ben and Tim would get some hardcore cheers with boos mixed in.
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She is in Melbourne with him and other housemates at present. Loads of pics of them being uploaded by mainly Ed on twitter. They all went bowling last night apparently.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you crackers???!?! :eek:

That's literally what made me stop watching last year. Worst thing I've ever seen associated with any BB show. And I've seen Carole's nudie pictures :cry: :cool::p

I like it, it's good fun. Beats our "Welcome back ____". "BOOO! OOO ARR YA?!" any day. :)

Anyway, the dance was on finale night, you stopped watching at the start of the finale? Or are you talking about the TV ad they did?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAus nowadays seem to pick central characters to win so no way would Jack and Joe be the obvious choice. Infact they would have probably won BBUK if they were more central to the key storylines, instead they were more like the background entertainers. Sam took the 'Dexter-hating' baton off them going into the last few weeks so reaped the benefits of the 'good vs evil' spin of that storyline.

Plus I wouldn't describe Tim as unlikeable, he's probably one of the few housemates of any BB that has managed to successfully combine gameplay with a likeable personality.
    I'm not keen on Ben so I wasn't keen on his victory but if Ben or Tim were booed that badly in BBUK then it simply demonstrates just how ridiculously negative BBUK is nowadays.

Anyway, looking back on previous BBUK series, plenty of housemates with unlikeable traits have been cheered by the BBUK crowd, so acting like they are some sort of moral compass is lol.
    Going on past history I think Ben and Tim would get some hardcore cheers with boos mixed in.

Ben and Tim would have no chance of winning the UK version. I doubt the British public would take to Tim saying he will be in the final 2(said he and Ben would be the last two standing in the diary room) . Wolfy said she wasn't going to be evicted and she got shit for it. Also all the shit stirring he was doing would have made him hated. Getting information from one group then telling it to the other group. Sophie from last season was getting criticised for her shit stirring. Ben from the year before was probably a bigger bitch then anyone from any season of big brother uk. He would have been disliked more then Grace. Yet he won the Australian version. I don't like nice boring people winning. But give me them over unpleasant people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Teflon Don wrote: »
    Ben and Tim would have no chance of winning the UK version. I doubt the British public would take to Tim saying he will be in the final 2(said he and Ben would be the last two standing in the diary room) . Wolfy said she wasn't going to be evicted and she got shit for it. Also all the shit stirring he was doing would have made him hated. Getting information from one group then telling it to the other group. Sophie from last season was getting criticised for her shit stirring. Ben from the year before was probably a bigger bitch then anyone from any season of big brother uk. He would have been disliked more then Grace. Yet he won the Australian version. I don't like nice boring people winning. But give me them over unpleasant people.

If voting for people who didn't bitch or go to one group then the other then they couldn't vote for anyone. As they all did it.
    But the housemates this series had much more noticeably positive qualities that easily outshined them.

Ben and Tim had unpleasant qualities, but one was the 'gay best friend' and popular fatherly figure of the house, while Tim was the cheeky and OTT attention-seeker. Those sound like two textbook characters a BBUK crowd would love.

The audience would have hardly got behind Jade, who would have been crucified for her behaviour in the Ed relationship by a much less forgiving BBUK crowd, while Tahan would be labelled as the 'bitch' and probably unfairly booed and reviled.
    The series Ben won would be more up-in-the-air, all 3 of the finalists could have won BBUK. But Estelle would have probably got similar treatment that Rachel did, where she'd have the backing of BB forums but be labelled as undeserving and boring by an impressionable BBUK audience and also the producers.

The BBUK crowd contain people who cheered Conor on his exit, which shows that 'nice' isn't the key factor in BBUK.

At the end of the day, I suppose I'm trying to show why I personally find BBAus voting tendencies better and more interesting at the moment than BBUK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If voting for people who didn't bitch or go to one group then the other then they couldn't vote for anyone. As they all did it.
    But the housemates this series had much more noticeably positive qualities that easily outshined them.

Ben and Tim had unpleasant qualities, but one was the 'gay best friend' and popular fatherly figure of the house, while Tim was the cheeky and OTT attention-seeker. Those sound like two textbook characters a BBUK crowd would love.

The audience would have hardly got behind Jade, who would have been crucified for her behaviour in the Ed relationship by a much less forgiving BBUK crowd, while Tahan would be labelled as the 'bitch' and probably unfairly booed and reviled.
    The series Ben won would be more up-in-the-air, all 3 of the finalists could have won BBUK. But Estelle would have probably got similar treatment that Rachel did, where she'd have the backing of BB forums but be labelled as undeserving and boring by an impressionable BBUK audience and also the producers.

The BBUK crowd contain people who cheered Conor on his exit, which shows that 'nice' isn't the key factor in BBUK.

At the end of the day, I suppose I'm trying to show why I personally find BBAus voting tendencies better and more interesting at the moment than BBUK.

Estelle would have destroyed Ben in a UK final vote. Ben beating Estelle was just hard to fathom. After that result. I don't know how you can prefer the Australian voting public. It's equivalent to Dan beating Dexter in a final after Dan bad mouthing Dexter all year while Dexter doesn't say a bad thing about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Estelle would have destroyed Ben in a UK final vote. Ben beating Estelle was just hard to fathom. After that result. I don't know how you can prefer the Australian voting public. It's equivalent to Dan beating Dexter in a final after Dan bad mouthing Dexter all year while Dexter doesn't say a bad thing about him.

I was disappointed Ben beat Estelle, but this year's winner has certainly made up for it.

I don't think Estelle would have destroyed him though, I think Layla would have probably won.
    Ben was incredibly popular with the other housemates, Zoe and Michael were evicted leading up to the final both saying they wanted him to win, which would possibly have motivated their fans to support him too.
    There was just too much animosity towards Estelle for it not to have rubbed off on the fans of other housemates.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    I like it, it's good fun. Beats our "Welcome back ____". "BOOO! OOO ARR YA?!" any day. :)

Anyway, the dance was on finale night, you stopped watching at the start of the finale? Or are you talking about the TV ad they did?

Ahh, didn't realise they did it twice; I'd only seen the ad, which was cringey enough.

I can deal with them doing the evictees coming back for a silly little tribute (I assume that's what happened?), like the Jealousy video we got for BB14.

I can't deal with them getting everyone away against a green-screen to do a promo in the middle of the series - even Channel 5 BB has never broken the fourth-wall that much.
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's easy peasy. Estelle, Tahan, Deana, Gina were all up week after week, meaning their voting fans were taxed week after week. Ben was up I think twice if that the entire series, Tim was up quite rarely this year. Adam was almost never up, Jade was hardly ever up.

Viewers only have so much spare cash to vote in these things. That those 4 didn't win says more about the fact they were up week after week with hardly a break and those that won and came second were rarely up than anything else. Had Tim's fans been drained throughout the show like Tahan's were I doubt he'd have won.

Layla would have been evicted early on had she been on BBUK, her whole game plan was Josie MARK II which would not have worked in the UK version in my opinion simply because UK voters have already been bamboozled by the "doing it for the big girls" Josie and would not have fallen for the fake act a second time.

Australia does seem to like a good sob story and many of the winners over the years have had that. Ben, poor Ben unable to keep a job. Jade, poor sweet dumb Jade poor dear has no idea Ed is just using her. The fact she was boring as heck was overshadowed by the poor thing edit she got the last couple of weeks. Winner 1 was an orphan who was raising his brother on his own. Winner 2 or 3 was stuck in a dead end marriage and dead end job. (Mind she was just lovely and I'm very happy she did win.)

It works in the UK as well. Poor dear sweet Sam, can't hear properly. Poor Josie, used by that evil Australian.
    It was a wonder Rachel Rice actually beat out blind Mikey, although I wondered how Mikey got to the final. :cool:

To sum up though to win one has to have fans and ALSO not be up for eviction week after week. It's that last part that is the reason IMNSHO that those 4 worthy female winners didn't win. Their fans simply ran out of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It can't really be that simple that they were up too many times and therefore didn't win. It's if their voters still have the motivation to make them win or if they've lost it.
    In BBUK 12, Aaron won despite facing eviction more than anyone else that series because his fanbase was dedicated enough.

This series of BBAus, Tim faced the public vote 6 times to Tahan's 8. Not exactly a huge difference.
    Plus Tahan fans got a couple of weeks downtime before the 'to win' vote started, while Tim had to face a tough eviction the penultimate week.

I wanted all 3 of these to win their series but:
    Estelle's sudden smooching with Michael definitely alienated some of her potential voters.
    Gina alienated some of her votes with her attitude towards Hazel.
    While Deana's quite brutal (though amusing) taunting of Luke S alienated some of her votes too.

Those things definitely nullified their 'winning' votes at the most inconvenient time.
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't really be that simple that they were up too many times and therefore didn't win. It's if their voters still have the motivation to make them win or if they've lost it.
    In BBUK 12, Aaron won despite facing eviction more than anyone else that series because his fanbase was dedicated enough.

This series of BBAus, Tim faced the public vote 6 times to Tahan's 8. Not exactly a huge difference.
    Plus Tahan fans got a couple of weeks downtime before the 'to win' vote started, while Tim had to face a tough eviction the penultimate week.

I wanted all 3 of these to win their series but:
    Estelle's sudden smooching with Michael definitely alienated some of her potential voters.
    Gina alienated some of her votes with her attitude towards Hazel.
    While Deana's quite brutal (though amusing) taunting of Luke S alienated some of her votes too.

Those things definitely nullified their 'winning' votes at the most inconvenient time.
    Ah but Aaron had help none of the others got. Anyone on Facebook could vote in that BB, anyone anywhere.

Clearly we have different theories on why certain people win and others don't. And of course it's not that simple, there are other factors. Tahan, Deana and Gina are not white. I'm not interested in debating this point.

Gina didn't alienate anyone over Hazel. Hazel only hurt Hazel and Daley. Dexter simply had a stronger following, but he still wasn't white so Sam won. Deana was not brutal LOL how ridiculous. Laughing at that silly man is something MOST people did. That's like saying Luke A's BMI comment caused similar. Which is also ridiculous. Out of the 3 of them the person who won was the white guy.

I don't feel that Tim's following was much bigger than Tahan's but you know it's the same old bullshine. A man can BITCH for England (or Australia or the USA) and he's considered hilarious, witty, interesting. A woman who does exactly the same is considered a bitch. Was there any difference between Stacy and Ben last year, other than their sex? I can't explain Jade coming 2nd, except that she is a "typical" girl. Ed did use her mercilessly, or so the edit led us to believe. While I didn't find her sweet or nice at all, she was advertised as a "nice" girl and they labeled her Ladey Jadey, :eek: while they were labeling Tahan all sorts of nasty things. All that are also factors. As I write this I have to say the biggest factor in who wins is the edit, when there is no live feed they can manipulate at will. From day 1, a majority of the clips were all about cheeky, mischievous Tim. For the first month I think I disliked him just because of how much BB were pushing him in their choice of clips or what they called "live feed". The sheer volume of what came across to me as Tim Ads was annoying me. It was ages before I could even appreciate his being in the house, I had to stop watching the "live feed clips" in order to do so.