Options

Was this customer right to shout at me?

allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I work in retail and today a customer rang up ranting and raving that his daughter bought a loaf of bread with a best before date 13/11

i asked politely what was the issue and he was shouting that he was sick of supermarkets thinking we can rip off customers! He said we was conning him by selling him bread that goes off today

he said that we should have got rid of all the bread last night but i explained it was standard practise everywhere to thrown out of date products at the end of the day

dp you think the customer was over the top because i was a bit shaken by his attitude and aggressiveness on thebphone

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in a shop for a couple of years. Some people are shouters and ranters, some people are calm and reasonable.
    His daughter was at fault for buying short-dated bread, but he chose to vent his anger on you. Don't worry about it one bit, he is the one shortening his own life.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to think how this person would react to anything important. :eek:

I thought most people check the dates on what they buy. You should've told him you'd refund the loaf of bread, and let his daughter have the life lesson for free. :cool:
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Of course he wasn't. No customer has the right to do that and had he tried that with me, he would have got a mouthful back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have taught his daughter about checking dates on short life products. He is at fault. But having worked in a supermarket myself you get arsey people from time to time, don't let it bother you
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no, he was wrong, you aren`t paid to take abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he wasn't. No customer has the right to do that and had he tried that with me, he would have got a mouthful back.

you can't do that or you would lose your job you have to be professional. You fake smile and be polite and explain and think "**** off penis in your head and slag him off to your workmates later":D
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What customer does not check the date of the bread they buy? If you ask me the customer is a dumb-ass
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I work in retail and today a customer rang up ranting and raving that his daughter bought a loaf of bread with a best before date 13/11

i asked politely what was the issue and he was shouting that he was sick of supermarkets thinking we can rip off customers! He said we was conning him by selling him bread that goes off today

he said that we should have got rid of all the bread last night but i explained it was standard practise everywhere to thrown out of date products at the end of the day

dp you think the customer was over the top because i was a bit shaken by his attitude and aggressiveness on thebphone

About the best "excuse" I can think of would be that if that loaf had been sent as part of a home-delivery a customer might have a right to be a bit upset cos they'd be buying it sight-unseen with no way to check the date before purchase.

If the person came into the shop and bought it they had every opportunity to look at the date and choose not to buy the loaf if they didn't want it.

I would have been tempted to tell him to send his daughter to Specsavers for some glasses before sending her shopping again. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also because he was on the phone you could have used hand gestures towards him down it to get rid of your feelings. How can you con someone anyway when everything has a date label.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not over something so small, but if it had been something more serious I don't see why not.

The customer is always right - except when they're being downright abusive, but shouting doesn't necessarily infer being abusive. I've shouted at people before now out of sheer frustration/emotion rather than due to malice or nastiness. If you work in CS you must remember that if a customer is shouting it's probably because they're pretty damn upset.

It seems some people also refuse to listen/take complaints seriously unless they're being shouted at, which makes it sadly necessary.
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone was just stressing! We don't do deliveries so the daughter didn't have any excuse not to check the dates!
  • Options
    Oicho ThrowOicho Throw Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I've shouted at people before now out of sheer frustration/emotion rather than due to malice or nastiness. .

Hello this is literally what children do and you should feel ashamed of yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello this is literally what children do and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

Er, no. :confused:

You've never, ever once lost control of your emotions as an adult?

Nothing has EVER happened in your life from the age of 18, which pushed you over the edge?

Never had anyone die suddenly? Never lost your job? Etc etc.

Don't be so silly. Your view is far, far too simple. Adults aren't infallible robots, they're people with emotions too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I lose control of my emotions, I don't get mad, I cry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, no. :confused:

You've never, ever once lost control of your emotions as an adult?

Well yes, but like an adult I felt ashamed of it when I cooled down and either apologised or slunk away like a cur with my tail between my legs. I didn't try and justify being a stupendous man baby because WAAH CUSTOMER SERVICE NO LISTEN.
    Nothing has EVER happened in your life from the age of 18, which pushed you over the edge?

Never had anyone die suddenly? Never lost your job? Etc etc.

Well yeah sure, things happen, tempers flare, emotions fray.

But there's a huge difference between acting out because you're upset by something actually real, and freaking out at some anonymous low-level customer service drone because BLAAH MY NAPPY'S WET THEY WON'T LISTEEEEEN.

Plus, like, most people will go "Oh god, I freaked out at that poor fellow, I feel so bad". Not OH HEY IT'S COOL CS DUDE SUCK IT UP IT'S WHAT YOU'RE THERE FOR.
    Don't be so silly. Your view is far, far too simple. Adults aren't infallible robots, they're people too.

Haha I have to say trying to justify being a big manbaby bully via hippy-dippy "Hey man we're all just people" is a beautiful and ironic twist on an old classic.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    you can't do that or you would lose your job you have to be professional. You fake smile and be polite and explain and think "**** off penis in your head and slag him off to your workmates later":D

I usually hold my tongue but I don't let anyone shout at me. At the end of the day its a job and no customer has the right to make me feel threatened.
    Not over something so small, but if it had been something more serious I don't see why not.

The customer is always right - except when they're being downright abusive, but shouting doesn't necessarily infer being abusive. I've shouted at people before now out of sheer frustration/emotion rather than due to malice or nastiness. If you work in CS you must remember that if a customer is shouting it's probably because they're pretty damn upset.

It seems some people also refuse to listen/take complaints seriously unless they're being shouted at, which makes it sadly necessary.

Shouting may not always be abusive but its certainly threatening. I've been shouted at over a tin of Quality Street and I told him just how pathetic I thought he was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, but like an adult I felt ashamed of it when I cooled down and either apologised or slunk away like a cur with my tail between my legs. I didn't try and justify being a stupendous man baby because WAAH CUSTOMER SERVICE NO LISTEN.

Well yeah sure, things happen, tempers flare, emotions fray.

But there's a huge difference between acting out because you're upset by something actually real, and freaking out at some anonymous low-level customer service drone because BLAAH MY NAPPY'S WET THEY WON'T LISTEEEEEN.

Plus, like, most people will go "Oh god, I freaked out at that poor fellow, I feel so bad". Not OH HEY IT'S COOL CS DUDE SUCK IT UP IT'S WHAT YOU'RE THERE FOR.

Haha I have to say trying to justify being a big manbaby bully via hippy-dippy "Hey man we're all just people" is a beautiful and ironic twist on an old classic.

Wow :confused:

You clearly completely missed the point of my post, so it's a waste of time discussing it further but as per the examples I gave, I was clearly talking about serious events and situations, not the.. odd.. trivial examples you've capitalized above.

You also missed the perspective of my argument. I run a business. My job is CS. I take crap from people all the time, because it's my job. I just wish I could sometimes receive anything approaching the level of service and tolerance I offer.

You're the one that sounds like a bloody great baby, which is reflective of exactly what I was talking about. You get on with your job and you bend over backwards for the customer. The only exception is if they're being actually abusive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly completely missed the point of my post, so it's a waste of time discussing it further but as per the examples I gave, I was clearly talking about serious events and situations, not the.. odd.. trivial examples you've capitalized above.

Go on then, Senor Manbaby, give a couple of examples of times when it's okay to throw a wobbler at an underpaid and totally uncaring stranger.

Particularly this vague, sketchy Eastenders plot you hinted at, where somehow the CS fella is responsible for your dead loved ones and your lost job. I'm really curious to see how that one went.
    You're the one that sounds like a bloody great baby, which is reflective of exactly what I was talking about.

p.s - "I know you are, but what am I?" is also A Thing Literal Children Do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on then, Senor Manbaby, give a couple of examples of times when it's okay to throw a wobbler at an underpaid and totally uncaring stranger.

Particularly this vague, sketchy Eastenders plot you hinted at, where somehow the CS fella is responsible for your dead loved ones and your lost job. I'm really curious to see how that one went.

You know, the irony of all of this is you clearly don't understand people at all. You're trying to make yourself sound as if you have some sort of moral high-ground, but what I'm hearing is you wouldn't take an adults anger or upset seriously and you wouldn't consider them a real person with feelings.

If you work in CS you have to empathise with people, if you don't, well, you end up with the views you have.

When you call up virtually any business or public service, wouldn't you rather have someone on the end of the phone who listens to you and takes your upset seriously? And listens to your complaint no matter how angry you are? And tries to put things right?

Sometimes I agree with the right-wingers, and I say that with a terribly heavy heart. Brits seem to expect to be wrapped in cotton wool. I hate the USA, but at least over there the customer is king. :cool:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

You need to get out more because it's not just kids.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

I once took a rather expensive Sony hifi back to a Sony centre for repair.

I sat it on the counter, the guy typed the model and serial number into a computer, did some quick tests and told me it'd be £70 for a service and I'd also have to pay for any parts required.

I agreed, paid the £70 and, a couple of days later he phoned me up to say that the service had been carried out but Sony don't stock spare parts for that hifi and so it couldn't be repaired.

When I went to pick it up, me and him had words.

*EDIT*

I once took a perfectly functional Toyota into a garage for a service prior to MOT time and, after several weeks delay it came out again, I drove it down the road and the ABS failed.
    I drove it back to the garage, told them about the ABS fault and they then took another couple of weeks to repair it.

I had words with the people there too.

Also, FWIW, after getting through the test the ABS failed almost immediately afterwards again and I ended up repairing the f**king problem properly myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you work in CS you have to empathise with people, if you don't, well, you end up with the views you have.

Oh puh-leez.

I empathise plenty. It's why, when I'm feeling a bit narked at a company, I maybe don't shit my pants and freak the **** out at the first person I can get a hold of. I don't release the steaming contents of my neurotic brain onto someone who may, in fact, have their own troubles. And if I do, I feel bad because I made someone feel bad. I don't go "Ra ra, customer is king!"
    Sometimes I agree with the right-wingers, and I say that with a terribly heavy heart. Brits seem to expect to be wrapped in cotton wool. I hate the USA, but at least over there the customer is king. :cool:

Hahaha, oh my GOD.

"People here want to be treated like they're fragile! Why won't they just toughen up and treat me like I'm fragile, dammit?"

p.s - Eastenders story where it's Totally Okay You Threw A Child's Tantrum plz kthx manbaby
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I know it's off topic and immature but "go on then Senor Manbaby" just gave me a massive giggle fit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope I never have to deal with this Oicho Throw person as a customer.

I am with Hypnodisc on this. I work in a customer service environment (have done all my working life) and you are paid to be helpful, polite and courteous at all times because there is no business without customers. You are free to bitch about rude customers in private all you want but when dealing with them, you must be professional at all times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh puh-leez.

I empathise plenty. It's why, when I'm feeling a bit narked at a company, I maybe don't shit my pants and freak the **** out at the first person I can get a hold of. I don't release the steaming contents of my neurotic brain onto someone who may, in fact, have their own troubles. And if I do, I feel bad because I made someone feel bad. I don't go "Ra ra, customer is king!"

Hahaha, oh my GOD.

"People here want to be treated like they're fragile! Why won't they just toughen up and treat me like I'm fragile, dammit?"

p.s - Eastenders story where it's Totally Okay You Threw A Child's Tantrum plz kthx manbaby

I think you're trying to be so quick to reply, again, you've missed my point.

I wouldn't shout at the first person I spoke too, immediately - or whatever else you've got into your head.

All I'm saying is that if you've been passed from pillar to post, you've had a bad day and you're supposedly paying money for a product or service you cannot blame people for being highly strung when things are going wrong and they feel like they're getting NO help or support from the business in question.

Can you not understand that?

If anything, the CS agent should of course be even MORE accommodating and apologetic; but what you have nowadays, especially in the UK are official policies whereby phone calls, contracts and the like are terminated if the customer raised their voice :eek:

Just never start a business, or work in customer service, or deal with people, or go out of the house.. :D