Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well of course it is a different class. Did you expect he celebs who have never danced to produce a performance like that?
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, elizabethjo. :) I think they're a cut above the Strictly professionals too, unfortunately, since Ballroom takes second place to Latin on the show nowadays

Thanks for the post Liza. It's a showdance that shows you CAN be inventive dancing in hold, (Artem, please take note), if you're good enough at the basic ballroom that is.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well of course it is a different class. Did you expect he celebs who have never danced to produce a performance like that?

Was she talking about celebrities who have never danced?

it wasn't clear who she was saying Joanne was "in a different class" from.

My guess would be same as Spin Turn's in that she was talking about other professionals - but bear in mind Joanne is also dancing in a full-on competition/exhibition context in that clip.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Is she dancing at Blackpool on Saturday night during a showcase?

I believe Kevin's parents are.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »

Bendymixer will know as she knows the family :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I think they are wonderful. I know a show dance is different to competition, but I think these 2 would give the pro dancers on SCD a run for their money. As it is, Kevinfromgrimsby stands head and shoulders above the rest on there doesn't he?
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She'd be marked down by Len for the "faffing about" at the start of that :D:D
  • Options
    SkyrahSkyrah Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

roflmao :D
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »

yes she is!!!! I cant wait, Joanne is an amazing dancer
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, we discussed about this quite a bit in the Non Fan War Thread the other day. I think Joanne has rehearsed that routine many moons with Paolo to have produced that quality of dance on the floor. Not to knock her, but the celebs (and the pros) only have one week to do the routine, and Natalie Lowe, if she's found fit to dance on Saturday, only ONE DAY to learn the pro routine before showtime.

Still, that ballroom medley routine was amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More than made up for it in the middle. Also, this is a showdance, they are allowed.:)
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As SCD-O says it is a showdance and doesn't need to be in hold all the time. That said, it has loads more dancing in hold than many of the Strictly Professionals manage in their so called ballroom dances and so Len would probably applaud something similar, even in the ballroom.

Of course no one is expecting a pro/celeb performance on Strictly to be at the same level and I don't think that is being suggested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    As SCD-O says it is a showdance and doesn't need to be in hold all the time. That said, it has loads more dancing in hold than many of the Strictly Professionals manage in their so called ballroom dances and so Len would probably applaud something similar, even in the ballroom.

Of course no one is expecting a pro/celeb performance on Strictly to be at the same level and I don't think that is being suggested.

I hope that, like series 4 and 5, they invited really good pros to do the demo in the results show. It will wake the pros up a bit I think. :D
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joanne is fab dancer - really the whole family are Keith and Judy in their day were great and won most major comps incld the Worlds - cant really compare Joanne and Paolo to the pros on SCD they are the World NO 1 and in a different league.

This remains one of my fave showdances from Joanne and Paolo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFRQXxPTzc
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is an amazing dancer & if Kevin is an example they must be a lovely family too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    Joanne is fab dancer - really the whole family are Keith and Judy in their day were great and won most major comps incld the Worlds - cant really compare Joanne and Paolo to the pros on SCD they are the World NO 1 and in a different league.

This remains one of my fave showdances from Joanne and Paolo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFRQXxPTzc

Yes, wonderful! But if you are doing a pro dance, does it mean you are allowed to mime to the song? Because Joanne and Paolo seemed to do quite a bit of miming from these clips?

Not directly dance related, I think they need Chris and Jane's mixer to sort out their tracks. The gap (no music) in the middle is a little disconcerting, and it doesn't seem to cut well from one melody to another... Chris and Jane's music were almost always immaculate and it actually add to the dance when you are performing at this level...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris and Jayne's music was specially done for them at great expense but the had huge sponsorship.

these dances of joanne and paolo are not comp dances they are showdances done either at the end of a comp as an honour dance or as a dem - in a comp they are not on their own on the floor and of course they do not mime :D

comp video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouzKakO0Qw4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to compare anything to our pros these days as I don't think we get to see them at their best any more. Obviously they have to hold back when dancing with their celebrity. And sadly the days of seeing a stunning pro dance of "how it should be done" are over. Our pros are just used as a chorus line these days.
    Althoug maybe this weekend will be different?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris and Jayne's music was specially done for them at great expense but the had huge sponsorship.

these dances of joanne and paolo are not comp dances they are showdances done either at the end of a comp as an honour dance or as a dem - in a comp they are not on their own on the floor and of course they do not mime :D

comp video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouzKakO0Qw4

Aw, thanks for sharing those!!!:)

There were more clips after the telegraph video link ends. Wonderful!!!:)

"They do it because they want to do it." :)
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw bless how lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joanne is beautiful without the thick make-up.

Hope this link works, they were eighteen (Kevin) and sixteen (Joanne).

Going to share this in another thread. :D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Craig would find a little finger incorrectly placed at some point?
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NICE!

I would take my hat off to the Pros that make the final this year if they can actually come up with a Ballroom showdance (as opposed to some freestyle, modern, acrobatic stuff). A medley of Ballroom dances (with maybe the odd Latin infiltration here and there) would be a challenge that some of them must surely have no worry in coming up with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    NICE!

I would take my hat off to the Pros that make the final this year if they can actually come up with a Ballroom showdance (as opposed to some freestyle, modern, acrobatic stuff). A medley of Ballroom dances (with maybe the odd Latin infiltration here and there) would be a challenge that some of them must surely have no worry in coming up with.

Tom Chambers, whatever criticisms people had on him, came the closest to a beautiful showdance that include ballroom and some latin (paso) elements and tap as well...