Options

Price increases---no surprise there

owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just got a letter from Virgin advising my package M+ TV, 30mb broadband and basic phone package is going up by £4.50 per month. Considering my package is only around £42 per month, this is a significant rise.

So much for getting all those new channels for free, Alibi, Watch etc

I have been a customer since the Telewest days but this is just an increase too far

Comments

• Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Just got a letter from Virgin advising my package M+ TV, 30mb broadband and basic phone package is going up by £4.50 per month. Considering my package is only around £42 per month, this is a significant rise.

So much for getting all those new channels for free, Alibi, Watch etc

I have been a customer since the Telewest days but this is just an increase too far

Yep ... what a surprise. The annual price increase and the inevitable call to customer retentions. I'm just getting so weary with the whole dance.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £46.50 a month is pretty darn chunky price for TV that is basically Youview plus a few more random channels and a phone line with hideously expensive calls (apart from weekend landlines).

Well worth considering your options, especially if the extra TV channels are of little interest.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    £46.50 a month is pretty darn chunky price for TV that is basically Youview plus a few more random channels and a phone line with hideously expensive calls (apart from weekend landlines).

Well worth considering your options, especially if the extra TV channels are of little interest.

Re-read your post and the original post.

You seem to have omitted something?
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Re-read your post and the original post.

You seem to have omitted something?

I just had to re-read, he's forgotten the BB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By 'youview' I meant TV, broadband and a PVR, which is basically what a youview package gives you. I admit I should have been clearer.

Either way, still expensive for what you get.
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    By 'youview' I meant TV, broadband and a PVR, which is basically what a youview package gives you. I admit I should have been clearer.

YouView is TV, it doesn't provide any broadband services

However BT and TalkTalk provide YouView with their broadband and phone packages
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever, perhaps we can stick to discussing the VM price increase?
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an annual price increase. Nothing new....:cool:
  • Options
    naveennaveen Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an annual price increase. Nothing new....:cool:

The issue is that very few people are getting a pay rise so are having to cut back and TV packages will be the easiest cut for most.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tivo is leaps and bounds ahead of Youview imo. Let's do the maths here
    30mb bb (soon to be 50mb) , phone tvm+ (includes channels such as sky1 , universal , syfy , mtv , tcm etc) = about £45p/m this is after price rise , chances are you'll get half price for 6 months anyway so it'll be about £30p/m for first 6 months.
    bt youview (no sky channels , a few channels such as GOLD , Watch etc) 38mbs bb , phone = about £41p/m +£55 worth of activation fees (price befor bts price rise).
    talktalk youview (sky1 , gold etc) - 38mbs bb , phone , about £40p/m (before price rises). VM somehow doesn't look that bad now does it?
  • Options
    lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently paying just under £50 a month for 30Mb BB + free weekend calls and XLtv+Tivo x 2.
    This package includes a monthly discount of almost £10 for a year that I got because I cancelled .

I'm half tempted to go to Sky when it ends but Tivo is so much better than the Sky+ HD box and BB speeds appear to be far superior on Virgin but the annual hoop jumping is becoming tiresome.
    A 10% increase is unacceptable although I've had no letter yet
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,028
    Forum Member

That is what I think as well, except it will be negated by a speed increase if you have their Broadband service as well, if not you will not get any benefit from their price increase
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is what I think as well, except it will be negated by a speed increase if you have their Broadband service as well, if not you will not get any benefit from their price increase

As you don't with Sky , BT ,Talktalks price increases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently paying just under £50 a month for 30Mb BB + free weekend calls and XLtv+Tivo x 2.
    This package includes a monthly discount of almost £10 for a year that I got because I cancelled .

I'm half tempted to go to Sky when it ends but Tivo is so much better than the Sky+ HD box and BB speeds appear to be far superior on Virgin but the annual hoop jumping is becoming tiresome.
    A 10% increase is unacceptable although I've had no letter yet

I was lucky enough to nab one of those 12 month half price deals of Sky and VM gave me a deal too so i get 60mb bb , phone , tvm+ of vm for £38p/m and i get sky ent extra with hd , sky sports and movies hd too for £31p/m. so £69p/m all in. Can't grumble at that imo both companies are giving me a great deal.
  • Options
    lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to nab one of those 12 month half price deals of Sky and VM gave me a deal too so i get 60mb bb , phone , tvm+ of vm for £38p/m and i get sky ent extra with hd , sky sports and movies hd too for £31p/m. so £69p/m all in. Can't grumble at that imo both companies are giving me a great deal.

For about 3 years I only had Virgin for BB but for well over a year I had both Sky and Virgin for tv but it was once Sky started charging the £10 for HD that I decided it was time to ditch one provider .

I upgraded Virgin when they were doing the 3 for £30 deal .
    After the year I had to choose and the guy at Sky readily admitted they couldn't match the prices offered by Virgin.

Once I'd cancelled I got regular bumph from Sky offering me any package at 50% off for a year .
    I was really tempted but upon enquiring they wouldn't budge on the HD charge . So while they would knock 50% off any package including movies the HD charge of £10 wasn't included.
    So for the sake of £5 they ended up with nothing .
    Bizarre marketing strategy. ( I assume they realised it too which is why they've juggled the subs to make the HD charge less visible)

Sky have sent sales people to my house offering good deals but the last time they called it was shortly after I entered my current 12 month deal with Virgin.

My son has Sky in the next village ( because he can't get Virgin) but I have to say the Sky HD box is still not a patch on Tivo so they'll need a superb deal to make me lose that third tuner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For about 3 years I only had Virgin for BB but for well over a year I had both Sky and Virgin for tv but it was once Sky started charging the £10 for HD that I decided it was time to ditch one provider .

I upgraded Virgin when they were doing the 3 for £30 deal .
    After the year I had to choose and the guy at Sky readily admitted they couldn't match the prices offered by Virgin.

Once I'd cancelled I got regular bumph from Sky offering me any package at 50% off for a year .
    I was really tempted but upon enquiring they wouldn't budge on the HD charge . So while they would knock 50% off any package including movies the HD charge of £10 wasn't included.
    So for the sake of £5 they ended up with nothing .
    Bizarre marketing strategy. ( I assume they realised it too which is why they've juggled the subs to make the HD charge less visible)

Sky have sent sales people to my house offering good deals but the last time they called it was shortly after I entered my current 12 month deal with Virgin.

My son has Sky in the next village ( because he can't get Virgin) but I have to say the Sky HD box is still not a patch on Tivo so they'll need a superb deal to make me lose that third tuner
    BIB absolutely agree Tivo is even better now that Netflix has been added channel 204 :)
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    naveen wrote: »
    The issue is that very few people are getting a pay rise so are having to cut back and TV packages will be the easiest cut for most.

Very true. But at the same time costs still increase whatever we do or don't get in our wages. Even if it was just an increase for inflation costs will go up. So anyone expecting not to have price increases each year are onto a loser there.

It is certainly an easier thing to cut but it also depends on what else you do to fill your time, spend your money on etc. You have to consider your options.

Going by the OP's costs an extra £4.50 a month is what? An extra 15p a day. They don't seem to mind paying the £1.40 a day so is 15p a day extra really that awful?
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they up my price by £4.50 then that will be a 59% increase in 4 years. Though in the same time my broadband speed has tripled, they given me Tivo and the number of channels has increased. Also i'm on mates rates which is (just about) still a good deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they up my price by £4.50 then that will be a 59% increase in 4 years. Though in the same time my broadband speed has tripled, they given me Tivo and the number of channels has increased. Also i'm on mates rates which is (just about) still a good deal.

It's not relevant to use Mates Rates ( or indeed Retentions deals) for a valid comparison of increased prices for the majority of people who pay standard prices.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a bit of confusion by me

TV is M+ with a V+ box and a standard box for spare room
    Phone is M
    BB is M, 30mb all for £42.50, going up by £4.50.

More than 10% is a big rise by any standard.

Ok my broadband has increased but do I need 30mb, probably not for waht I do.

As someone posted, 59%rise is 4 years is excessive by most standards. VM pretty much pushing customer loyalty to the limit.

Talk Talk seem like a decent option and with just a single You view plus box with a TV package unlimited broadband added giving roughly same channels for around £17.50 plus line rental of about £11 if paid in advance like I do just now
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Maybe a bit of confusion by me

TV is M+ with a V+ box and a standard box for spare room
    Phone is M
    BB is M, 30mb all for £42.50, going up by £4.50.

More than 10% is a big rise by any standard.

Ok my broadband has increased but do I need 30mb, probably not for waht I do.

As someone posted, 59%rise is 4 years is excessive by most standards. VM pretty much pushing customer loyalty to the limit.

Talk Talk seem like a decent option and with just a single You view plus box with a TV package unlimited broadband added giving roughly same channels for around £17.50 plus line rental of about £11 if paid in advance like I do just now

That's what I find with Virgin their prices for broadband are high like you said many people don't need really fast broadband.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the contract:
    'If we and/or Virgin Media Payments:
    a) increase our charges under this agreement
    b) make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or
    c) make significant changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement (including the other legal stuff),

you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice'

But still a bit cheeky. You've signed a contract and they decide to alter the terms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the contract:
    'If we and/or Virgin Media Payments:
    a) increase our charges under this agreement
    b) make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or
    c) make significant changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement (including the other legal stuff),

you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice'

But still a bit cheeky. You've signed a contract and they decide to alter the terms.

Please re-read what you just wrote and you will see that what you said is far from correct.

You quoted the contract which allows you the customer to cancel if the price goes up. Hardly a contract change. More protection which benefits you and not Virgin Media.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not relevant to use Mates Rates ( or indeed Retentions deals) for a valid comparison of increased prices for the majority of people who pay standard prices.

I didn't say it was, I was just pointing out that even on mates rates the price rises have been pretty considerable.

And mates rates isn't some amazing deal, from memory I think it's £15 a month off the standard price (as long as you take out all the specified services). I'd guess that anyone that tried hard enough could get a similar deal.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please re-read what you just wrote and you will see that what you said is far from correct.

You quoted the contract which allows you the customer to cancel if the price goes up. Hardly a contract change. More protection which benefits you and not Virgin Media.

yes my comment isn't a reaction to the quote, it's a reaction to the price change. The quote just points out we have a fallback.