Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the expert spot, especially if it's the estate agent, who is knowledgeable and gives good advice, but the quiz ruins it by putting it right in the middle of the expert slot, leaving insufficient time. I think you are the first one who I have heard saying he likes the quiz, but I suppose there must be others.

I do like it, but I also agree with you. I do feel that sometimes it ruins the flow of a perfectly good interview just to quickly fit it in.

Perhaps do it straight after the midnight news, leaving the rest of the hour for the expert?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Drive have the Bolton bag on right now. Derbyshire states that someone is serenading her with some bloody drum or something. Peter Allen says "you don't get that in Salford do you?"

Part of me so wants to believe that Peter Allen was having a little jibe with that remark...:)
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bonus! 10am slot covered by Tony Livesly - what an improvement on Saint Derbyshire. No faux sympathy, empathy or cutting across contributors - just down to earth chat.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I like Williams Quiz. That and the "expert" he gets on. I can miss the first 90 minutes, but I like the final hour.

I still quite like Dotun, but I am starting to prefer the Rhod Sharp nights.

Up all night is one of the few gems on Radio 5. Rhod is good and I like the fact that there are often some decent long interviews. Dame Nikki Campbell could learn a few things from Rhod.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Derbyshire will be staying in Newsnight's Capital One Cup team after the big money transfer of Laura Kuenssberg.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Just turned Radio 5 on as I read that Livsey might be on. But no it's the Bolton bag and back to her misery stories. So click.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Derbyshire will be staying in Newsnight's Capital One Cup team after the big money transfer of Laura Kuenssberg.

Think it's more the Johnstone's Paint Cup. Just not sure if it's Northern or Southern section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good. Something then might happen...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derbyshire interviewing a nhs bigwig tomorrrow about the acute state of accident & emergency services in the UK.
    Lets hope the 'expert' interviewer of Newsnight fame finds some time to enquire of the impactof the immigrant Romanian and Bulgarian hordes on this service...
    No, prob spend all the time on the gender split of senior nhs staff !!!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the misfortune to have to overhear the Victoria Derbyshire programme on 5 Live over recent weeks and all I want to say is it's enough to drive anyone into the arms of The Samaritans.

www.samaritans.org/

I'm not joking either, so if you need their help please use them. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I've had the misfortune to have to overhear the Victoria Derbyshire programme on 5 Live over recent weeks and all I want to say is it's enough to drive anyone into the arms of The Samaritans.

www.samaritans.org/

It must be easily the wprst output the BBC puts out across all its formats.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make interesting radio ....Derbyshire interviewing the BBCs' Head of Human Resources,Lucy Adams.

One abuses licence fee money with an unnecessary free trip to Brazil and Adams ( on £320,000 a year ) using licence fee money to pay legal costs in a libel action against the NUJ.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

www.samaritans.org/

............and support them where you can. They are a wonderful organisation. ..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make interesting radio ....Derbyshire interviewing the BBCs' Head of Human Resources,Lucy Adams.

One abuses licence fee money with an unnecessary free trip to Brazil and Adams ( on £320,000 a year ) using licence fee money to pay legal costs in a libel action against the NUJ.

And Derbyzhire would talk to Adams in her slow, condescending manner so all the pleb listemers can keep up with her 'sharp' questioning and empatthy. "And when Margeret Hodge tolddd you to stoppp being economic with the truth.Lucy, hooow diod thatt maklkke you feellll.?"............"Ohhh, Righttt"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major outbreak of interuptions from the ego this morning. I do wish the bbc would sort out 6 -12 programming. Otherwise the station is a good listen (other than the Derbyshire repeats shoved down our throats).
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    It was dreadful this morning. He kept hurrying people along but asking the longest questions himself and cutting them off when they tried to reply. What with that and the croaky voice, I switched to Radio 4.
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    And Derbyzhire would talk to Adams in her slow, condescending manner so all the pleb listemers can keep up with her 'sharp' questioning and empatthy. "And when Margeret Hodge tolddd you to stoppp being economic with the truth.Lucy, hooow diod thatt maklkke you feellll.?"............"Ohhh, Righttt"

Won't worry Derbyshire - she will be on her business class flight home no doubt at our expense. She has to be the thickest skinned woman on radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only Talk Sport would replace Brazil. My weekday listening would be excellent:
    Morning Reports, Wake Up to Money,
    Then
    Brazil replacement, Colin Murray (instead of woeful Derbyshire), Hawksbee and Jacobs
    Then
    Drive with Peter Allen, Sport with Pugbatch or Chapman, evening, then Up All Night.
    In my humble opinion, this would be a good listen and would offer variety - and not misery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If only Talk Sport would replace Brazil. My weekday listening would be excellent:
    Morning Reports, Wake Up to Money,
    Then
    Brazil replacement, Colin Murray (instead of woeful Derbyshire), Hawksbee and Jacobs
    Then
    Drive with Peter Allen, Sport with Pugbatch or Chapman, evening, then Up All Night.
    In my humble opinion, this would be a good listen and would offer variety - and not misery.

You are so right - i agree with you 100%
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would keep Christian O'Connell as the presenter of Fighting Talk. Jonathan Pearce and the other one who is so bad I cannot even remember his name are just rubbish
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I wish they would keep Christian O'Connell as the presenter of Fighting Talk. Jonathan Pearce and the other one who is so bad I cannot even remember his name are just rubbish

Yes spot on! Unless they got Johnny Vaughan back but he is on TS at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just six minutes in and ian wright has given the ypu know hat I mean three times slready. Sounds very poor programme so far.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Try Press Pass on Talk Sport,. It's on from 6 to 8. I have been listening to it for the past 3 weeks on the recommendations of "The Difference" and others. Although I don't listen to Talk Sport very often, it's a far better programme than Ian Wright and Kelly Cates.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Wish Greeny would come back and host 606.

He seems generally to be taking things easier this season, not as many big games, no 606, and he has also stopped posting his weekly column in the Belfast Telegraph.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Press Pass on Talk Sport,. It's on from 6 to 8. I have been listening to it for the past 3 weeks on the recommendations of "The Difference" and others. Although I don't listen to Talk Sport very often, it's a far better programme than Ian Wright and Kelly Cates.

Glad to hear this. :) The Press Pass was a good programme from what little I heard of it this evening, it had a strong line-up with Des Kelly back in the presenters' chair and Tony Evans from The Times and the German football journalist Raphael Honigstein as his studio guests.
This discussion has been closed.