Options

Homework for children

laser558laser558 Posts: 470
Forum Member
I would welcome other parents thoughts about the above subject. My son is 8 and attends the local junior school. He has been receiving homework since the age of 6. I confess, I don't agree with the idea of homework at such an age. It is difficult for my son to become motivated for one thing and then as a parent, I end up becoming the teacher and almost doing it for him on a few subjects. I also learnt today, that if a child fails to hand there homework in on time, they are penalised by not being allowed out at break time. Is it only me that finds this quite outrageous? Let's not forget, we're dealing with 8 year old children here. Children who need some fresh air and the opportunity to run about and interact with children, which in my mind is just as important as any academic work. Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't agree with homework full stop. When they get home it is their time, let them be kids. They won't be for long.

Unfortunately they do get homework, and it needs to be done..that is my advice.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Doing homework from an early age can instil discipline for when it becomes more important academically. Fresh air and messing about also forms part of learning, but there is no reason a child can't do both. The school has a homework policy and is using the sanction of missing break to ensure children learn about responsibility and consequences. All good stuff tbf. Unless the volume of homework is excessive I would encourage your child to do it and make sure they don't pick up on your own doubts, children are extremely perceptive about these things.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    My son had homework from year 2

When he was in year four we had to name all the countries in Asia and their capitals and write a piece on one country

It literally took all weekend

He would also lose break time if he didn't do homework

There was a after school homework club but they chose who went so it was the ones whose parents never made them do it
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homework makes children revise and remember what they learned at school. It also teaches them discipline and responsibility. When I was 7-8, I loved doing homework and put a lot of effort into it. Your son has his teenage years to rebel and be lazy. Let him sit down and do his homework whilst you can still control it.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me when the teachers set a large amount of homework, yet rarely mark it. What is the point of setting homework if it is not reviewed to see if it has been done correctly?

Due to the near total absence of marking from my childs teacher, I end up reviewing their homework with them and telling them what is right and wrong.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Homework prepares a child for the real world. I had to write whole essays at the age of eight and do latin at the age of nine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Homework makes children revise and remember what they learned at school. It also teaches them discipline and responsibility. When I was 7-8, I loved doing homework and put a lot of effort into it. Your son has his teenage years to rebel and be lazy. Let him sit down and do his homework whilst you can still control it.

Is there actual evidence of this, please link sources or is it your own opinion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homework prepares a child for the real world. I had to write whole essays at the age of eight and do latin at the age of nine.

Evidence please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was your real world. It is was not and is not the real world of most children.

To the OP, assuming you are not talking about your 8 year old writing whole essays and studying latin, I think some reading, writing or sums is quite a good thing for a child and a good thing for a parent to engage in with their child. I don't imagine we are talking hours on end of homework for an eight year old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Is there actual evidence of this, please link sources or is it your own opinion?

It's called common sense. Do you need a source for that aswell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have been to school, so know from personal experience :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    It annoys me when the teachers set a large amount of homework, yet rarely mark it. What is the point of setting homework if it is not reviewed to see if it has been done correctly?

Due to the near total absence of marking from my childs teacher, I end up reviewing their homework with them and telling them what is right and wrong.

Lack of marking would annoy me too! That's just laziness on the teachers' part. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    It's called common sense. Do you need a source for that aswell?

It's not common sense at all, studies have shown that homework is inconclusive on a child's education.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2239928/Is-homework-waste-time-Study-18-000-schoolchildren-finds-relationship-spending-time-work-home-better-grades.html

If it is targeted & structured then yes homework does seem to work, if it is just homework for the sake of it, then it offers nothing. Which is probably why teachers don't mark it, because they have just set homework for the sake of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you provide a daily mail link?:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evidence please.

Improves organising skills
    Instils discipline
    Improves writing skills
    Teaches the importance of time management
    Establishes creativity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    So you provide a daily mail link?:D:D

http://www.greatschools.org/students/homework-help/1938-what-research-says-about-homework.gs?page=all

Another one that isn't Daily Mail if you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am amazed at such quick responses. Thank you. To give you an example, my son (aged 8) received some maths homework to do with sequencing. Now, I'm not stupid but even I couldn't answer 3 out of the 6 questions. My son, meanwhile, was getting so stressed and agitated that he couldn't do it, that I truly felt was it all worth it especially since I was also getting the same feeling. I do sometimes question why children are not allowed to grow being children anymore. I believe that is the root cause of many social problems we have today. We put so much pressure on our children today by way of expectation, no wonder they have issues as adults. To those that talk about discipline, surely that should be practised at home, not school. It is certainly something I do as a parent, along with good manners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    laser558 wrote: »
    I am amazed at such quick responses. Thank you. To give you an example, my son (aged 8) received some maths homework to do with sequencing. Now, I'm not stupid but even I couldn't answer 3 out of the 6 questions. My son, meanwhile, was getting so stressed and agitated that he couldn't do it, that I truly felt was it all worth it especially since I was also getting the same feeling. I do sometimes question why children are not allowed to grow being children anymore. I believe that is the root cause of many social problems we have today. We put so much pressure on our children today by way of expectation, no wonder they have issues as adults. To those that talk about discipline, surely that should be practised at home, not school. It is certainly something I do as a parent, along with good manners.

We had a Master at school who every day told us that he was "Head Of Discipline". We never forgot about it, unlike some of the unruly youths of today.
  • Options
    BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a small amount of homework enables the parents to see just what their children are doing at school and what they are expected to know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't agree with homework full stop. When they get home it is their time, let them be kids. They won't be for long.

Unfortunately they do get homework, and it needs to be done..that is my advice.

Why does it need to be done? In the great scheme of things, why?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

I couldn't so some of my sons year 3 maths homework, made me feel great

Most times the parents do the homework
  • Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    It depends how much homework your child´s expected to do - I teach (albeit in Spain) in a primary school and the students have a "Practice book" which comes bundled with their textbook for Maths, Language, and Coño (History/basic science/Geography etc). In the grades I teach (1º and 2º so 5-8yr olds) the students are given homework of 6/9 pages from their practice book per week - 2/3 from their Maths book, 2/3 from the Language and 2/3 from Coño respectively per grade. We tell the parents that the idea is that they do 1 or 2 pages, rotating the three subjects, each day. The 2º grade also get English homework which is usually revision of vocabulary words or a review worksheet but occasionally if they don´t finish work in class then they will have to finish that at home too.

The homework not only means they practice the things they have been learning in class but it means we can also assess how well they can apply the information they are supposed to have learned and to get them used to doing a little bit of work every day, and the homework increases as they go up the school so that by the time they reach senior school and have homework that counts towards their grades/final exams, it´s not a huge shock.

Also, if students fail to finish work during class time (usually because they´ve been chatting/staring into space/generally messing about) that work still has to be done and when else would you like us to let them finish? I have lesson schedules based on the units I have to teach, material I have to cover, assessment dates and holidays etc. If I constantly let a few students leave work unfinished or continue in the next lesson then that throws out the whole schedule and punishes the other students, the majority of whom did finish and did get everything done and shouldn´t have to waste class time waiting for the slacking students.

We have the option of sending the work home (which doesn´t guarantee it will get done) or we can keep them in at break which not only means we can supervise them finishing their work without the distraction of 20 something other children but is also reinforcing the point that if they want to take their break in my lesson then I´ll take that time they wasted from their breaktime, and short of one or two students who just refuse to do anything and end up being kept in by various teachers at break times, it´s very rarely that work doesn´t get done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I'm not a parent, I know. But still, I have an opinion.
    I currently have some GCSE Mock Exams coming up and I need to revise as much as possible. Surely teachers would agree with this? No. They still hand out homework like pedo's hand out sweets. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR HOMEWORK FAM!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would welcome other parents thoughts about the above subject. My son is 8 and attends the local junior school. He has been receiving homework since the age of 6. I confess, I don't agree with the idea of homework at such an age. It is difficult for my son to become motivated for one thing and then as a parent, I end up becoming the teacher and almost doing it for him on a few subjects. I also learnt today, that if a child fails to hand there homework in on time, they are penalised by not being allowed out at break time. Is it only me that finds this quite outrageous? Let's not forget, we're dealing with 8 year old children here. Children who need some fresh air and the opportunity to run about and interact with children, which in my mind is just as important as any academic work. Your thoughts would be most welcome.

When I saw your post on this subject I guessed what sort of responses you would get - I have read quite a few and forgive me if I am repeating other posters but 'I disagree with children (particularly as young as 6 and 8 years old) getting homework - I believe children need to do school work at school and be playful children at home - as many on here will know I am a professional Child Care Worker and have seem many children very badly stressed out by being given school work to do ate home (where they lack the support and environmental 'atmosphere' that school provides)
    I am not saying all children are hurt or damaged by being forced to do homework but many 'less scholarly' or 'special needs' or 'emotionally insecure' children often are. Even when the afore mentioned groups of children get older they often need to keep school and home life separate because this compartmentalisation allows them to work (at school) and play at home.
    Although many educationalists disagree with this view as someone who has seen the results of 'over pressurising' children I have worked with many troubled children and young people and know that they achieve better when allowed to do 'homework' in school - with their support worker.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    my school did not give out any home work.