Options

Homework for children

Comments

• Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your child's education is so important. Do your very best to support the school in educating your child. They are the experts in education. The children who do best in education are the ones who's parents encourage them every step of the way.

Doing a bit of homework is a really great habit to get into. I'm completely astonished that anyone could object to it.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't receive homework until I switched to secondary school at age 11. I ended up with a university degree and no problem finding employment. It worked for me so I don't see why young children (and their parents) need the imposition of homework. I doubt that I would have coped with it very well at a young age.

I have to say that I've witnessed the English education system grow increasingly bad since I left school. I can say that from the experience of watching younger members of my family leave school without much understanding of English grammar or spelling, never mind foreign languages. I've also seen "qualified" teachers posting on forums in "English" that leaves a lot to be desired (present company excepted).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't receive homework until I switched to secondary school at age 11. I ended up with a university degree and no problem finding employment. It worked for me so I don't see why young children (and their parents) need the imposition of homework. I doubt that I would have coped with it very well at a young age.

I have to say that I've witnessed the English education system grow increasingly bad since I left school. I can say that from the experience of watching younger members of my family leave school without much understanding of English grammar or spelling, never mind foreign languages. I've also seen "qualified" teachers posting on forums in "English" that leaves a lot to be desired (present company excepted).

It doesn't matter what you or anything else thinks, if the school are setting homework the parents have to make sure the children do it. If a parent is less than very enthusiastic about supporting the school, what message does this give the child?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your child's education is so important. Do your very best to support the school in educating your child. They are the experts in education. The children who do best in education are the ones who's parents encourage them every step of the way.

Doing a bit of homework is a really great habit to get into. I'm completely astonished that anyone could object to it.

It depends how the homework is set, if it has no structure and no significance and is just homework for the sake of it, then it has no benefits what so ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    It depends how the homework is set, if it has no structure and no significance and is just homework for the sake of it, then it has no benefits what so ever.

What you think is irrelevant. If the children get homework, parents need to fully support the school in making sure the homework is done. Otherwise what message are the children getting about schooling and their education?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you think is irrelevant. If the children get homework, parents need to fully support the school in making sure the homework is done. Otherwise what message are the children getting about schooling and their education?

No.. when teachers set it, can't be bothered to look at it and mark it, then yes it is irrelevant. How is that supporting the child? What message is the teacher sending to the child?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An 8 year old being asked to do 20/30 mins of homework in their 5 or six hours of free time to help them reinforce and learn a subject is hardly a chore. it is a terrific way of involving and informing a parent on their childs studies and interests and frankly parents who don't want to know and show disinterest astound me.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    once kids are out of school it wrong of schools to make kids do anything to do with schools as school should be power less out of school hours,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children only get one chance in education and parents need to make sure they do well. The children who do best in education are those with parents who fully value and support everything the school has to offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Children only get one chance in education and parents need to make sure they do well. The children who do best in education are those with parents who fully value and support everything the school has to offer.

but school should back up parents also ,like help stop bullying and kids being picked on you but many school turn a blind eye to it so why should parents back the school,
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    but school should back up parents also ,like help stop bullying and kids being picked on you but many school turn a blind eye to it so why should parents back the school,

And you can justify this as a reason for not sitting down for ten minutes and discussing and helping a child with their studies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes of course schools should act on bullying. Parents need to support the school because it's crucial for the child's education. Children need to value school and they need to learn good studying habits, if they are going to do well. If a parent does not back the school their child will pick up on this resulting in the child failing in their education.
  • Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    once kids are out of school it wrong of schools to make kids do anything to do with schools as school should be power less out of school hours,

That´s as bad as the parent who came into school to attend a parent teacher meeting because his child was disruptive, rude, didn´t do any work and was generally a brat. His response when told that his child was doing all those things: "How my child behaves in school is not my problem, when he´s at school he´s your problem."

Schools and parents aren´t supposed to be in battle against each other, they´re supposed to support and reinforce things from both sides. Schools are expected to reinforce polite, respectful behaviour from students and turn out decent human beings, yet the parents have no responsibility to back up the school when it comes to their child´s education?

At the end of the day it´s their child that loses out - if the rest of the children are doing the extra work to either prepare them for the demands of education further on in their school careers or to help them reinforce their learning, the kids whose parents think that learning should only happen from 9 till 3 inside the classroom are the ones who will suffer - and not because of the school´s actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mel1213 wrote: »
    That´s as bad as the parent who came into school to attend a parent teacher meeting because his child was disruptive, rude, didn´t do any work and was generally a brat. His response when told that his child was doing all those things: "How my child behaves in school is not my problem, when he´s at school he´s your problem."

Schools and parents aren´t supposed to be in battle against each other, they´re supposed to support and reinforce things from both sides. Schools are expected to reinforce polite, respectful behaviour from students and turn out decent human beings, yet the parents have no responsibility to back up the school when it comes to their child´s education?

At the end of the day it´s their child that loses out - if the rest of the children are doing the extra work to either prepare them for the demands of education further on in their school careers or to help them reinforce their learning, the kids whose parents think that learning should only happen from 9 till 3 inside the classroom are the ones who will suffer - and not because of the school´s actions.

What if the parents values are different to the school vaules
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents who are too lazy to take an interest in their children's education and somehow find reasons to justify their position should be ashamed of themselves. If you allow your children to disrespect teachers and school policy, don't be surprised if your children lose respect for you too.
  • Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    What if the parents values are different to the school vaules

Then if a parent´s values are so drastically different to the school values, why are they sending them there?

I work in a private school run by a Catholic Religious Order. The head teacher is a priest, as are most of the school board, and the school is an active faith school. Should a parent wish to send their child to our school who wasn´t Catholic, there is nothing stopping them, however if they sent their child to the school and then took issue to the emphasis placed on having christian values etc then the person with the issue is the parent, not the school.
  • Options
    Brian1709Brian1709 Posts: 2,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my school did not give out any home work.

Really? You aren't a great advert for the system that educated you.
  • Options
    laser558laser558 Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    When I saw your post on this subject I guessed what sort of responses you would get - I have read quite a few and forgive me if I am repeating other posters but 'I disagree with children (particularly as young as 6 and 8 years old) getting homework - I believe children need to do school work at school and be playful children at home - as many on here will know I am a professional Child Care Worker and have seem many children very badly stressed out by being given school work to do ate home (where they lack the support and environmental 'atmosphere' that school provides)
    I am not saying all children are hurt or damaged by being forced to do homework but many 'less scholarly' or 'special needs' or 'emotionally insecure' children often are. Even when the afore mentioned groups of children get older they often need to keep school and home life separate because this compartmentalisation allows them to work (at school) and play at home.
    Although many educationalists disagree with this view as someone who has seen the results of 'over pressurising' children I have worked with many troubled children and young people and know that they achieve better when allowed to do 'homework' in school - with their support worker.

As the original poster, I really feel this reply makes so much sense. My 8 year old get's stressed when he is unable to complete a homework task and that stress or frustration rubs off on me. Last night, we spent nearly three hours on a writing project and reading. We had no time to play. Children will grow up to be adults and therefore have the opportunity to experience the rigours of deadlines. By that time I would imagine they would have left the idea of playing a cowboy or an indian, or a spaceman well behind but for goodness sake, let them enjoy their time being a child. To the poster who suggested that homework aids creativity, I strongly disagree. It actually diminishes natural creativity. I do believe that we are trying to turn our children into automatons and that can't be right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studies (various sites on the internet) suggest homework for younger children (Primary age), have little benefit, and in certain cases cause more harm than good.

Usually due to child been easily distracted at home, or it gets boring and the child loses interest very quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Studies (various sites on the internet) suggest homework for younger children (Primary age), have little benefit, and in certain cases cause more harm than good.

Usually due to child been easily distracted at home, or it gets boring and the child loses interest very quickly.

So various sites on the Internet is your evidence :D

Teachers are qualified professionals, who have completed teacher training. I trust the teachers at my kid's school to do what's best. Mine get homework and me or the wife sit with them in the evening and help them with it. We are showing an interest in their school work, we are encouraging them to study and learn and we get to know what they are learning at school. Ever since they were small we've encouraged them with learning and will continue to do this very important job.

If anyone has a real problem with a school's philosophy they should consider changing schools. Parents and teachers are a joint effort when it comes to education and any parent who does not fully support the school and the teachers will end up with kids who do not value their education.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    My son started school this year, and I must admit I am a bit surprised by the amount of homework he has, considering what a long day it is for a 5 year old. But I find it is also nice to sit down and do together as I can see visibly the progress he is making with reading :) Its a nice window into what he does at school all day.
  • Options
    dancingdaisydancingdaisy Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I'm a teacher! *ducks from the rotting veg about to be thrown at me*

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that primary school children are in school for 6 hours a day and learning for approximately 5 of those hours. Therefore I believe that children should be allowed to be children.

I heartily disagree with homework and I have loudly voiced that opinion at many a staff meeting.
    I have given out homework to children and I will do in the future, but this is generally about a subject that we are covering and it is too ensure that a child fully understands, especially if they have struggled with a particular concept and have only just 'got it'.
    We have to move on so quickly in education that we rarely get a chance to ensure that children understand, coverage of the curriculum is huge and every day teachers are told that they have to screw something else into an already overstretched timetable.

Reading is key to a child's learning, but I don't set it as homework, it is sold as a given, something that all children should do for enjoyment and it is something that I insist upon. Logs are regularly checked and I set comprehension questions about the text when possible.

I have noticed that a few posters feel it's ok to talk about lazy teachers. These posters couldn't be more wrong. Just because a piece of work isn't covered with ticks doesn't mean that the teacher hasn't looked at it, talked to the pupil about it and made copious notes in their planners about next steps for these children. Teachers assess constantly, whether that is through actual marking, reading work or listening to a child talk.

Also, as I feel the need to stick up for my profession, every day I mark approximately 90 books, I assess all of the children in my class, I teach, I plan, I make resources, I chat with parents, I deal with playground issues, I tend to sick children, I go to meetings, I work from 7.30am until about 5.30 pm in school and then come home to cook and clean for my family. I then work until about 11pm at night. I make sure that i give myself Friday nights off work and I always take a day off over the weekend.
    I'm not complaining as I LOVE my job. But it gets on my nerves when I read comments about lazy teachers who cannot be bothered to mark.

As you were. :D

FYI. I'm only on here now as I'm in my sickbed. It's been my first day sick day for 5 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    My eight year old has been doing homework for the last three years, and it's the single biggest factor in making our household unpleasant.

I can't blame him for not wanting to do it, but he kicks up a massive fuss every single time over homework that would take him half an hour at most if he put his mind to it. Whole weekends have been ruined over his tantrums.

Maybe it's down to his personality or my failing as a parent, but I do think homework before the age of eight isn't the best idea in the world. They children want their free time out of school, and at that age should be allowed to have it.
  • Options
    laser558laser558 Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    I'm a teacher! *ducks from the rotting veg about to be thrown at me*

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that primary school children are in school for 6 hours a day and learning for approximately 5 of those hours. Therefore I believe that children should be allowed to be children.

I heartily disagree with homework and I have loudly voiced that opinion at many a staff meeting.
    I have given out homework to children and I will do in the future, but this is generally about a subject that we are covering and it is too ensure that a child fully understands, especially if they have struggled with a particular concept and have only just 'got it'.
    We have to move on so quickly in education that we rarely get a chance to ensure that children understand, coverage of the curriculum is huge and every day teachers are told that they have to screw something else into an already overstretched timetable.

Reading is key to a child's learning, but I don't set it as homework, it is sold as a given, something that all children should do for enjoyment and it is something that I insist upon. Logs are regularly checked and I set comprehension questions about the text when possible.

I have noticed that a few posters feel it's ok to talk about lazy teachers. These posters couldn't be more wrong. Just because a piece of work isn't covered with ticks doesn't mean that the teacher hasn't looked at it, talked to the pupil about it and made copious notes in their planners about next steps for these children. Teachers assess constantly, whether that is through actual marking, reading work or listening to a child talk.

Also, as I feel the need to stick up for my profession, every day I mark approximately 90 books, I assess all of the children in my class, I teach, I plan, I make resources, I chat with parents, I deal with playground issues, I tend to sick children, I go to meetings, I work from 7.30am until about 5.30 pm in school and then come home to cook and clean for my family. I then work until about 11pm at night. I make sure that i give myself Friday nights off work and I always take a day off over the weekend.
    I'm not complaining as I LOVE my job. But it gets on my nerves when I read comments about lazy teachers who cannot be bothered to mark.

As you were. :D

FYI. I'm only on here now as I'm in my sickbed. It's been my first day sick day for 5 years.

I so very much appreciate your reply. As a teacher, I know that you're not alone in your views. I also appreciate how hard teachers work, I have a couple of friends who are teachers and I truly applaud you. I would also agree with you regarding reading and this is something I have been doing with my son before he started school as well as getting him familiar with the alphabet. What I do object to is the amount of homework they are presented with, the complexity of the subject matter for their ages and the time they have to spend doing this. I wrote a letter to the school this morning and suggested that is was barbaric keeping children in during break if they didn't hand homework in on time. I also made them aware that these children are only 8. It is wrong, really wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laser558 wrote: »
    As the original poster, I really feel this reply makes so much sense. My 8 year old get's stressed when he is unable to complete a homework task and that stress or frustration rubs off on me. Last night, we spent nearly three hours on a writing project and reading. We had no time to play. Children will grow up to be adults and therefore have the opportunity to experience the rigours of deadlines. By that time I would imagine they would have left the idea of playing a cowboy or an indian, or a spaceman well behind but for goodness sake, let them enjoy their time being a child. To the poster who suggested that homework aids creativity, I strongly disagree. It actually diminishes natural creativity. I do believe that we are trying to turn our children into automatons and that can't be right.

I am a firm believer in 'childhood' we have been foster carers for a lot of years and have helped many young people but one of the primary policies we have in our house is that however young or old the children are when they are at home if they want to 'play' they can - we actively encourage them to play with toys, computer games, make believe and dress-up we have had 18 year old lads spend the whole of Saturday and Sunday building something out of Lego - and groups of young people (our foster children and their friends from the community) having a Monopoly marathon - now I think that is more educational than a two page essay on the Elizabethan period - which is more relevant - social interaction and learning about building a house - buying a house etc. or writing using different words what you read of a inter-web site?