Options

3pm Premier League blackout starts abroad

Comments

• Options
    RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    samburrows wrote: »
    OP has a decent record - think he may be a Sky UK employee but can't instantly recall.

The story has the ring of possibility around it, but I find it improbable. The loss in European domestic markets for Sky is not worth any upside for them in the UK.

It's on the official Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=633190093387114&set=a.561423620563762.1073741828.556241147748676&type=1
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Racket wrote: »

Translated via Google;

FOX SPORTS communicates to its viewers the decision of the Barclays Premier League to temporarily not possible in Italy integral transmission of the matches scheduled on Saturday at 16.00. The meetings will not be visible on the channel as early as Saturday, November 23.
    Fox Sports will however continue to document these games are not available on TV even in England, in a timely and direct from his studies with highlights and insights.
    Aired from 13.00 to 00.30, Saturday Top of the Fox Sports will keep its structure, consisting of commentaries and studies live, with the best match of the Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Eredivisie.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    Good. If it makes people go out and support their local clubs i am all for it.

The main games for neutral fans are normally on tv so proper football fans won't be too disadvantaged.

That's naive if you think people will go to there local club instead because of the 3pm blackout, they'll still be streams available somewhere for those with knowhow on how to get them.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local team is a Premier League side & there is no way in hell that I would go to support them every week, because they are a rival team to the club that I support. I am a full member of the club that I support & I go to games when I possibly can as tickets for the season are sold in 2 halves. Last week tickets went on sale for the second half of the season & despite being a member & despite queuing online and on the phone from just after 8am, I wasn't able to secure a ticket for a single home game.

My only hope now is to get a ticket during the general sale or for an away match I will only support 1 club and personally couldn't give a rats about some little local league game, as I only watch Premier League & some La Liga matches, hell even the championship playoffs we so boring last season, that none of the teams promoted seemed to have the passion for the Premier League, so I dread to think what a little local league would be like.

The FA should make it easier for people to get tickets for the team that they support, or even bring the games via the red button for a fee. I would have no problem in paying x amount to see a legal feed for the match live. But as they seem intent on using an outdated policy, I will do anything possible to see the match as it happens and not by lame MOTD highlights or lousy Football First hours after the match has finished. I cannot honestly see the blackout period being worldwide for quite awhile yet, so us that are faithful to one team only, should be safe for the time being.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these blacked out" games are still being shown in the rest of the world - Middle East, Far East, wherever - they will find their way on to the web. So, rather than watching legal, paid-for programmes from european satellites, fans will turn to the pirates.

The only solution, at 3pm, is not to show any games anywhere. Just like it used to be!
  • Options
    Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    How does it affect you? What's the good news from your point of view?

My view has been echoed by quite a number of other posters so there is little point repeating it...but I will anyway...

The fact is, those that argue that supporters will go and watch their team no matter what game is shown on the television are correct, every teams die hards will always continue to go to the games.

But the majority of teams will always have its floating support too, those that choose to go to a game without it being a religious thing. Those supporters will pick games that don't clash with another activity which they could do like seeing family/friends, the cinema, the pub or watching a random game of football on the television.

At the club I support, you can always see a drop in attendances when the game clashes with a televised match and it's understandable as watching football live is an expensive habit. If you just like watching football, a televised game is always going to be a good alternative.

So personally I think the blackout law is a good idea, to help protect football throughout the football pyramid, as I believe the importance of every game right through from the local non league scene through to the Premier League is important and deserves to be protected.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    Fantastic news, the wider the 3pm blackout the better. Especially as it should mean it being maintained in this country.
    Er, exactly why is this "fantastic news"? It is ridiculous to punish viewers in a completely different country like this does.

The number of people in Italy etc who will think "Well, no 3pm games on any more, I'll fly over and watch a league 2 match instead" is either ridiculously small or completely non-existent.

Of course, I realise this isn't the reason it's been done. The reason is presumably to stop people receiving the foreign broadcasts of 3pm games here - but again, it will have close to zero impact on lower league attendances as virtually nobody with the desire and knowhow to have been able to watch 3pm kick offs in the first place will be going to a live lower league match.

In short, a ridiculous decision.
  • Options
    WoborbyWoborby Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    liveonsat has the 3pms on Saturday on JSC as TBC...apart from the arsenal v soton match - which most broadcasters have.

and the JSC schedule site is the same...no channels yet allocated for matches...?

So have they also been "blocked", or is JSC just late in allocating channels to matches...?
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I think it's the way people think they have some divine right to break rules and watch streams illegally which bothers me. I understand the frustration but the way some people talk it's as if they think they are above the law because they hiding behind their keyboard. It's the same with all the controversial stuff posted on Twitter.

There needs to be better internet laws and people holded account for their actions just as if they did it in the street

whats wrong with paying for a legit, Al jazeera, NBC sport, or premier league pass (NZ subscription). and watching them through a proxy if they are geo locked.
    Just the same as getting a satellite subscription from other EU countries to watch these matches.

I'll give you a clue, it's perfectly lawful, domestically.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    whats wrong with paying for a legit, Al jazeera, NBC sport, or premier league pass (NZ subscription). and watching them through a proxy if they are geo locked.
    Just the same as getting a satellite subscription from other EU countries to watch these matches.

I'll give you a clue, it's perfectly lawful, domestically.

The EU's "Television without Frontiers" directive is, as the name might suggest, only applicable to people living in the EU watching channels which broadcast to the EU. And that's perfectly lawful as you say.

However EU residents have no legal right to watch channels which are not broadcast to their own or other member states, regardless of whether they are paying for the subscription.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

However EU residents have no legal right to watch channels which are not broadcast to their own or other member states, regardless of whether they are paying for the subscription.

This was dispelled earlier this year. When karen Murphy won her case. the only limits are in any terms and conditions supplied with the subscription. It's also why the premier league started limiting how many games EU satellite can broadcast back in january. It was the only way to restrict these broadcasts from reaching the UK short of flat out banning these games on satellite TV.

Not sure if it's the FA or premier league who have taken this a step further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woborby wrote: »
    liveonsat has the 3pms on Saturday on JSC as TBC...apart from the arsenal v soton match - which most broadcasters have.

and the JSC schedule site is the same...no channels yet allocated for matches...?

So have they also been "blocked", or is JSC just late in allocating channels to matches...?

They're allocated on my schedule in the ipad app and allocated on the rolling adverts for this weekends games. AJS hasn't changed at all
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's naive if you think people will go to there local club instead because of the 3pm blackout, they'll still be streams available somewhere for those with knowhow on how to get them.

I think it's kind of sad. But the interest is in the big name players and teams, not the lower leagues.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    This was dispelled earlier this year. When karen Murphy won her case. the only limits are in any terms and conditions supplied with the subscription. It's also why the premier league started limiting how many games EU satellite can broadcast back in january. It was the only way to restrict these broadcasts from reaching the UK short of flat out banning these games on satellite TV.

Not sure if it's the FA or premier league who have taken this a step further.

The FA has zero say with regards to anything outside of England
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I think it's kind of sad. But the interest is in the big name players and teams, not the lower leagues.
    People are fans of whatever team they choose, and for the majority of fans that will be one club and one club only. Organisations or rules attempting to convince people to go to "local" games instead of watching the team they support are missing the point - if a person is a fan of that club, they'll go anyway. If they're not, it's unlikely they will go, as they'd be supporting more than one team, and that's not exactly a common occurrence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are only two teams that I support in the UK and they are Liverpool & The Liverpool Reserves.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I support a league one side. I go watch a non league side from time to time. People who DO support both clubs sometimes stay away as it is just as easy to see a game from the comfort of home. It IS harming smaller clubs so anything that can be done to lower it is great. You are coming from it from the point of view of the armchair fans not the match going ones.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I support a league one side. I go watch a non league side from time to time. People who DO support both clubs sometimes stay away as it is just as easy to see a game from the comfort of home. It IS harming smaller clubs so anything that can be done to lower it is great. You are coming from it from the point of view of the armchair fans not the match going ones.

I go to games of the club i support, regularly, so thanks for assuming everyone is an armchair fan... How respectful! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    There are only two teams that I support in the UK and they are Liverpool & The Liverpool Reserves.

Not 3?
    Liverpool Ladies? :D
    We had an awesome season in the WSL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I go to games of the club i support, regularly, so thanks for assuming everyone is an armchair fan... How respectful! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not 3?
    Liverpool Ladies? :D
    We had an awesome season in the WSL.

Whoops my bad. :o
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FA turned football into such a horrendous product that I couldn't care less if I never see another match.

Still be all the hooky streams under the sun for the discerning pirate to choose from, this just means another nail in the coffin for our pubs.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woborby wrote: »

JSC normally only release their schedule for the week ahead. It is normally refreshed on Fridays. Check back later...
  • Options
    WoborbyWoborby Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    JSC normally only release their schedule for the week ahead. It is normally refreshed on Fridays. Check back later...

at the moment, JSC references for 3pms (apart from arse v soton) have been removed from liveonsat....

hope this is just an update as you suggest, and not a block for jsc also
    They're allocated on my schedule in the ipad app and allocated on the rolling adverts for this weekends games. AJS hasn't changed at all
    May not change for jsc internet users, but maybe for satellite users...
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a backward approach from the Premier League.

The easier, and more financially rewarding from their point of view, solution would be to move all Premier League matches to outside the Saturday 3pm window. Then the rights to all matches can also be sold in the UK.

The arguments put forward (again by the authorities) seem ridiculous when there are live midweek PL matches even when there's a full programme of FL matches on the same night.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    sat-ire wrote: »
    It's a backward approach from the Premier League.

The easier, and more financially rewarding from their point of view, solution would be to move all Premier League matches to outside the Saturday 3pm window. Then the rights to all matches can also be sold in the UK.

The arguments put forward (again by the authorities) seem ridiculous when there are live midweek PL matches even when there's a full programme of FL matches on the same night.

There is no real reason why all PL matches cant be played on a Sunday at 3pm (bar the TV matches on the Saturday and Sunday of course). Worth experimenting with for a season to see how it impacts on the lower leagues.

I do admit that the teams who are playing the the CL the following week will have to play on the Saturday but one of those at the very least is likely to be on telly anyway and therefore in a 1245 and 1730 slot.

The only people who would moan are the traditionalists, however the world moves on, embrace it.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    It's a backward approach from the Premier League

Just to point out, we still don't know where this decision was taken and who by.