Options

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor. BBC1. 23/11/2013 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just give a mention to Billie Piper? I thought she was fantastic throughout and really carried her scenes. A much better memory than her return in S4.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am actually looking forward to it now. I'm a classic Who person (born in the 60's).....and I've enjoyed it all the way through the years (apart from one or two). I've loved the NU-Series - but disliked the last couple of series/seasons (whatever|). But now that my favourite Tennant is back (for one story only!) - I'll be watching avidly!
    (I'd have watched it anyway! ;))

I wont be typing in during the show - I never do that. HOW can people watch such a thing and write in at the same time?? I like to watch a programme all the way through!:):eek:

I don't believe that you can really do it and pay something proper attention to it when you do.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expectations were high. Expectations were met. And occasionally exceeded.

Job well done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    The bar for future episodes has been set soooo very high now.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just give a mention to Billie Piper? I thought she was fantastic throughout and really carried her scenes. A much better memory than her return in S4.

Totally agree with you I thought she was Brilliant
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    John Hurt was great. Capaldi appeared and I shouted out in excitement. Tom appeared and I shouted 'Tom!!'. But, I must confess, the story itself was really, really mediocre.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Just Clara was a little superfluous, I thought.

I actually thought the complete opposite, this is possibly the episode I've liked Clara most, and certainly Jenna's strongest so far in my opinion.

For me this episode made me realise how nice it is to watch an episode completely unspoiled for once. I haven't been following all the build-up at all as I've been too busy, so I had no idea what to expect when I watched it (didn't even know who was/wasn't going to be in it apart from Tennant and Piper), and as a result thoroughly enjoyed it. It was wonderful to see Kate Lethbridge-Stewart again, and I enjoyed all the plot twists and turns interspersed with humorous moments. The three Doctors together were brilliant and for once even Billie Piper wasn't annoying! My one complaint is that the Elizabeth I stuff in 1562 went on too long, but even it tied in neatly with the Shakespeare Code in series 3.

I'm sure people who care immensely about the canon of the show probably had some issues with it, but as someone who is too young to have been around for the original series, I found this episode engaging and don't mind in the slightest that the history of the show is being rewritten a bit - things have to move on, and it's being done cleverly (in my opinion), so I have no problem with it.

If the poll were up already I'd be voting Excellent, which I don't think I've done in a while! Looking forward to the Christmas special now! :D

Random aside, when did Jenna drop the '-Louise' bit from her name? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    topcat2 wrote: »
    So where was Tenants doctor on his timeline? Why did Hurts doctor regenerate at the end?
    How did they prepare for it if they don't remember it? Why was the scientist randomly wearing the scarf?
    I didn't really get most of it. Why no doctors after 13?

A) 1562
    B) Because he had served his purpose?
    C) Three guesses at where the scarf came from...
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    Really?? That was incredibly easy to understand. :D

I'm really worried lol

All y'all seem to have understood it but I did not :eek:

I will give it a re-watch.

TBH I did miss Matt's last series with Clara. Maybe that's why :confused:
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, now that Torchwood has gone will there be a
    Gallifrey spin-off series
    ?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    However, I'm a tad confused. Wasn't suspending Gallifrey in time what always happened? Isn't that what they always said had happened from the Eccleston series?
    I had thought that rather than Gallifrey being suspended in time, it was that the time war was suspended in time (thus still ongoing, just from an outside perspective, it had ground to a halt and was frozen).

With this episode, the Doctors took Gallifrey out of that time, and put it into another one. I'm not convinced all them Dalek ships blew each other up either. There would have to be some stragglers.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It killed me when Ten couldn't see Rose (even though I know it wasn't really her lol).
    Personally I enjoyed it, but I wish we could have seen more of the actual war.
    They've talked about it so many times since Nu Who started I wanted more action.

Also, I though Tom Baker's inclusion was utterly pointless, just fanwank.
  • Options
    MorganaNKMorganaNK Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Loved it; headed straight to Amazon to pre-order it... need to watch it again and again... So good to see David as Ten again,
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing Tom Baker brought a tear to my eye (I grew up with him as the Doctor)- and the way he was integrated was very smart indeed. So glad he wanted to do it. As I said earlier, Christopher Eccleston feels like the elephant in the room. His turn as the Doctor brought it all back. I know he didn't want to get typecast, being a serious ac-tor and all that but he comes across as being somewhat precious. If his acting was that good, he could have easily transcended the Who phase and popped back for this. After all, David Tennant has managed it with ease and good grace.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    No it didn't because essentially, like the shot of all the Doctors, from a distance, it was just gimmicky. In the way Matt's cameo in AAITAS wasn't.

There's no way I will be swayed by these gimmicks when they are sat on the huge turd that was this episode.

It was expected I think because Tom is the oldest and only surviving Doctor Who left. He was also incredibly popular too.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just read capaldi was in it, how did i miss that where was he?

literally a NOT BLINK and you'll miss him moment!

this was just like hans gruber's plan in die hard ..... you'll be going through the WRECKAGE of this for years .....

and russell t davis will be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent!!!

:D

the zygon's plan, and that giving them the idea in "saving" gallifrey .....

the moment convincing the JH doctor, in fact the MOMENT was an UTTER METAPHOR to it all!

some nice little touches again to the formers ..... but those end shots ..... some really cheap wigs there ;)

but tom baker, as usual, is an absolute STAR .....

MY DOCTOR :cool:

but of course that IS the doctor's biggest regret, to end his own people, and now he'sTHEY'VE changed that ..... and now we wait .....

wait to see how it all mushes together ..... in the end .....

of the year :D
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's an alien and not OTT

Yeah, course he isn't.
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Sorry y'all but I did not like the episode at all.

John Hurt was fantastic but the story too complex and confusing. For me and my household anyway.

Sorry y'all but that episode plot wise was quite simple. ;)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and though he wasn't there physically I was as happy for a name check for my beloved Captain Jack as I was for anything else.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom baker I swear is a Timelord
    the guy has such an Aura about him
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Delia Derbyshire credited for the music! About time.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved how they basically poked fun at all the furore over "I don't want to go". :D

At least Tennant's Doctor has now left viewers a better note. :p
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to wonder also if they've now 'officially' killed off Jack Harkness as well. It'll be a bit of a low-key way to go - basically being killed off in a sentence ..
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem was that they spent all the FX budget on the time war. Which was about 5 mins of footage used again and again.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,111
    Forum Member
    Nice touchs (Cromer :) ). But all a bit so-so for me.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    So, can we call Hurt the ninth Doctor now or...?

Let's just call him The War Doctor to avoid confusion...:o