Options

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor. BBC1. 23/11/2013 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Show me where an ape has read philosophy, and understood the words, if not the subject?

The universe is so big that whatever you can think of is happening somewhere in some universe. After all there is an infinite number of monkeys who have successfully written all of Shakespeare somewhere in Time and Space or some parallel timeline. An ape reading philosophy is eezy peezy (by the way Humans are classified in an Ape sub-group primates known as Great Apes - so an Ape can read philosophy but surely understanding is the subject of a philisophical debate in itself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ncs1 wrote: »
    Why couldn't all the Gallifreyan time lord people just hop in their Tardises and fly away somewhere else when the Daleks arrived ? Maybe to a nicer planet with beaches, blue seas n stuff ? Then the War Doctor could've done something else that day, like get a wash and a shave.

Just a thought.

They had not thought of it and anyway were under bombardment from a very large fleet of Dalek spaceships.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The universe is so big that whatever you can think of is happening somewhere in some universe. After all there is an infinite number of monkeys who have successfully written all of Shakespeare. An ape reading philosophy is eezy peezy (by the way Humans are classified in an Ape sub-group primates known as Great Apes - so an Ape can read philosophy but surely understanding is the subject of a philisophical debate in itself?

Just because the universe is big, that doesn't mean there is an infinite number of things in it.

It could be very big, but incredibly empty.
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    ncs1 wrote: »
    Why couldn't all the Gallifreyan time lord people just hop in their Tardises and fly away somewhere else when the Daleks arrived ? Maybe to a nicer planet with beaches, blue seas n stuff ? Then the War Doctor could've done something else that day, like get a wash and a shave.

Just a thought.

The point of the Time War is that it takes place everywhere and everywhen, which is why it threatens all of reality not just the Time Lords and the Daleks.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    The thing I have to ask is why the curator didn't have a scarf??? Have to say I fell out of my seat when I heard Baker's voice, didn't think it would be him, but it was...

Perhaps the scarf worn by the girl with glasses with Asthma was his scarf all along, and it was a mighty big clue right there in front of our faces?
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I admit I have a hard time judging it fairly because Ten is my favourite Doctor and I thought DT knocked it out of the park so that made the episode for me. The tenth Doctor back wow just wow. That aside I really enjoyed the episode and I say that a not a huge Moffat fan. Made it relied a little heavily on jokes but the time flew and the end of the time war changed amazing.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Would of been a okay end of series episode minus the padding like the tardis being carried to Trafalgar square etc.

How exactly did Tom Baker's Doctor get old or was it not the Doctor but someone the Doctor looks like?!

What happened to the rubbish looking aliens in Elizabethan times? The leader was killed but the others?!

Was okay. The 3D was a bit pointless though.

Ho hum. Just like David Tennant Matt Smith's doctor is going out on the back of some nonsensical specials
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because the universe is big, that doesn't mean there is an infinite number of things in it.

Or very small, but incredibly full! ;):)
  • Options
    Forum Member

but since every decision can itself create a number of different timelines then even if the universe is very large (and finite) then it is so large as to be in all practical sense infinite.

Anyway it's fiction - sometimes it is just not worth studying in too much detail - at this rate we are going to get on to the Grandfather paradox (and I can think of two possible answers to that one)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

How exactly did Tom Baker's Doctor get old or was it not the Doctor but someone the Doctor looks like?!

Apparently it was a later Doctor just regenerated at the Tom Doctor because he liked it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    So, can we call Hurt the ninth Doctor now or...?

Yes. Even in the end credits sequence when they showed the faces he is now slotted in the running order of Doctors.

By the way that end credits sequence looked great in 3D.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently hunting down Zygon vomit on ebay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the episode, it was fantastic. I have to say it was disappointing that it wasn't the real Rose that Billie was playing, but other than that it was brilliant.

So happy about Tom Baker's cameo. I know he had already said he was in it, but we didn't actually know how much truth there was in that.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Phew.

Will need to watch again (without company so I wont be explaining things all the time!) but some initial thoughts...

Great fun. Matt and David worked well together; Nice to see Doctor 10 back and Matt...well, it's always a joy.

Zygons...good choice of monster, but they somehow didn't look as good as in 'Terror of...' John Hurt was unsurprisingly great, and thought Billie was very well used.

Y'know, I love the Peter Davison era and 'The 5 Doctors' but it's not my favourite story of Doctor Five. Nor is 'The Three Doctor's re: Doctor 3. But I adore them. It'll need a rewatch or six, but can see me thinking along the same lines with this story as part of Matt's era. Going to be very emotional at Christmas....

Tom? Lovely touch. (Original) Opening theme? Lovely touch. Clara working in Coal Hill School...Lovely..oh you get my drift.

Right. To the I-player. :)

My sentiments exactly, really. :)

I'm watching that Five-ish Doctors thing at the moment, it's pretty funny. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the rubbish looking aliens in Elizabethan times? The leader was killed but the others?!

They all went into the paintings and waited to come out of them in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Even in the end credits sequence when they showed the faces he is now slotted in the running order of Doctors.

By the way that end credits sequence looked great in 3D.

In terms of the TV show (not the mythos) why have they given us a new 9th Doctor?

Did they need to make Capaldi the 13th Doctor, couldn't they have just made him the 12th and had another one later?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of the TV show (not the mythos) why have they given us a new 9th Doctor?

Did they need to make Capaldi the 13th Doctor, couldn't they have just made him the 12th and had another one later?

Well that's if you believe Capaldi will be the last Doctor (which I don't for a second).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    OK good show but i am confused on something here, if JH wanted to burn Gallifrey (as they called it), wouldn't that make him the first doctor (not 9th). if as you have all been saying he turned into CE, then we are only on number 3, not 11 or 12th, if that is a case what happed the to first 8.

Also if the last dr finds Gallifrey it can go one of two ways,

1. We can have a new line of Time Lords.
    or
    2. When he finds Gallifrey his regeneration number resets back to one again (i.e all Time Lords have to go home at somepoint after 13 times)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that's if you believe Capaldi will be the last Doctor (which I don't for a second).

I don't believe he will the last Doctor either, which is why I don't understand the need to give us him as the 13th one.

Although if they wanted to bring us a Doctor from the past that we haven't seen before they would have to shoe horn him in.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not bad. but not the best. I still want a darker less camp doctor.

Something tells me Capaldi won't be camp.
    The trouble is that Tom's Doctor regenerated when he looked younger.

But they could have said that he used his regeneration power to go younger for a while.

Maybe he goes back to look like 4 and remains so for so long that he ages.

Isn't that what happened to the War Doctor? He regenerates from McGann and looks young and ages a lot before regenerating into Eccleston.
    starsailor wrote: »
    Poor ten. Eleven lives 400 years, and ten only 4.

Where did you get that?

We didn't account for 10's every movement in the specials year nor between companions.

Because there was a gap where we didn't see the regeneration so Moffat clearly wanted a twist in there.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all went into the paintings and waited to come out of them in the future.

Yes but what happened to them?!
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Red Button extra, absolutely divine bit of a piece put together, had my eyes streaming with laughter at one point!

Just watched that, now that was good writing :D
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst it was fun I have to say I'm a tad disappointed. I loved seeing the Zygons back but their plan in the story seemed abit glossed over at the end to focus on Gallifrey.

Tom Baker turning up was good but I'm confused what it added.

John Hurt - why not make his role Paul McGann as he "forgotten Doctor" and be done with it? Was there really a need to add a new Doctor?

I think the disappointment for me was that it was effectively a new Who story that could have been at any time in any series or another "Three Doctors" story not a way to incorporate 50 years. As a story it was fine though.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone please explain the scarf girl?
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 218,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent 50th anniversary episode :)

Really enjoyed every minute of Matt Smith's penultimate episode

Really pleased they filled the gap between Doctors 8 and 9, and a nice few surprises along the way

I was :eek: when the 12th Doctor made a brief eyes only appearance and when Tom Baker showed up at the end