Options

Killing hunger pangs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

In my never-ending quest to try and keep my weight down, and now that I'm back at work after a week off I'm finding the 6am starts are kicking off the old hunger pangs yet again.

My diet is a tricky one as I'm coeliac (and currently being investigated for Crohn's/Colitis but that's another story) so my breakfast is fresh pineapple/yoghurt/coeliac-friendly cornflakes/pink grapefruit juice. I can't drink coffee as it makes me vomit, and usually have my main meal at lunch and soup with Ryvita in the evening, however when I'm up so early I get vicious hunger pangs in the mid-morning from about 10am onwards and from 3.30pm in the afternoon.

I've tried doing the whole grapes/carrots & hummus stuff but that seems to make things worse. The cold also doesn't help, when it's crisp and cold I seem to get an almost painful hunger.

Any tips on what helps you stave off hunger? I drink 2/3 litres of water a day too but it's like it washes my stomach empty too. Thinking of trying that cayenne pepper/maple syrup drink as it's so disgusting it puts me off eating for a while but want to watch my sensitive digestive system......

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce diet is no good. Have more Ryvita mid morning or have oats for breakfast.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah if anyone has a solution to this, and sugar pangs I'm most interested also. :D
  • Options
    Hamish ManciniHamish Mancini Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I don't know a lot about diet for Colitis/Crohns sufferers so you may or may not be able to eat them - but I've found almonds or pistachios are amazing for staving off hunger pangs.

You don't even need to eat that many - about a handful. They're also very good for you...lot of vitamins, fibre etc. :)

Oh and ignore people who tell you that they're high in fat because it's a) good fat and b) only if you're having them by the bucketload. Trust me, you won't have room for that many!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know a lot about diet for Colitis/Crohns sufferers so you may or may not be able to eat them - but I've found almonds or pistachios are amazing for staving off hunger pangs.

You don't even need to eat that many - about a handful. They're also very good for you...lot of vitamins, fibre etc. :)

Oh and ignore people who tell you that they're high in fat because it's a) good fat and b) only if you're having them by the bucketload. Trust me, you won't have room for that many!

Used to use those, but alas nuts upset my stomach too.

I'm hard work, I know. I loathed fussy eaters for years and now I am one :(

Ryvitas are a good suggestion though. Them & salt & vinegar rice cakes are my go-to munchie snack but usually the rice cakes aren't quite enough......

*does Cookie Monster impression*
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    When I'm restricting food, I try to spread the food I'm eating out. E.g. I have two sandwiches cut in half for lunch. I eat the first half at maybe 11:30am, then another at 12:30, one at 1:30pm, and another at say 2-2:30. By spreading things out, I find that I feel satisfied most of the time.

Drinking liquids such as water seems to help too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    When I'm restricting food, I try to spread the food I'm eating out. E.g. I have two sandwiches cut in half for lunch. I eat the first half at maybe 11:30am, then another at 12:30, one at 1:30pm, and another at say 2-2:30. By spreading things out, I find that I feel satisfied most of the time.

Drinking liquids such as water seems to help too.

That's quite a good idea actually, eating slowly and spreading things out.

BTW please don't use my crap digestive system as the guide for answers on this thread - general hunger pang avoiding tips are welcomed for folks of multiple & diverse digestive systems ;)
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you have a soup? I find they knock out my hunger pangs for an hour or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you have a soup? I find they knock out my hunger pangs for an hour or two.

Yeah, got into a habit when in the office of having soup at 12noon and then lunch at 1 but I think I got used to that. Hot drinks are generally good to quell stomach "anger" for me, but alas coffee/tea can't be amongst them.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was doing the Fast Diet over the summer (until I fell of the wagon) I found fruit and herbal teas to be useful for staving off the hunger. Full of flavour, virtually calorie free and no caffeine.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find protein for breakfast helps get me through the morning, so I have 3 eggs scrambled with milk which lasts until lunch, when I have my main meal of vegetables and again protein. Evenings I have something simple like soup.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Your body just can't go that long (breakfast-lunch-dinner) without a snack if you are active. Have you tried a banana or smoothie?

PS I would hope that you've discussed the fact you are dieting with your GP as you're undergoing investigations?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    brush your teeth when you feel hungry in between.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member

I've heard that too but I don't find they stave off my hunger pangs at all. Bananas work best for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your body just can't go that long (breakfast-lunch-dinner) without a snack if you are active. Have you tried a banana or smoothie?

PS I would hope that you've discussed the fact you are dieting with your GP as you're undergoing investigations?

Have done, yup, but considering they barely know anything about Crohn's and I have to suggest the next steps to them they're even more confused when confronted with my diet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, got into a habit when in the office of having soup at 12noon and then lunch at 1 but I think I got used to that. Hot drinks are generally good to quell stomach "anger" for me, but alas coffee/tea can't be amongst them.

Have you tried Marigold Bouiilon (Swiss Vegetable). It's low calorie vegetable drink, I sometimes use it and think it's a nice change from tea/coffee on a cold day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have done, yup, but considering they barely know anything about Crohn's and I have to suggest the next steps to them they're even more confused when confronted with my diet!

Oh not good. :( You'd think they'd have an idea or know where to refer you to!

Have you tried asking on a crohns or coeliac web forum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Marigold Bouiilon (Swiss Vegetable). It's low calorie vegetable drink, I sometimes use it and think it's a nice change from tea/coffee on a cold day.

Ooh, no I haven't but that does sound very good. I'll give that a go, ta! I have been known to use Oxo cubes in hot water as a quick hunger pang killer when I was on my short-lived 5:2 diet earlier in the year.
    Oh not good. :( You'd think they'd have an idea or know where to refer you to!

Have you tried asking on a crohns or coeliac web forum?

Not so much about hunger pangs, but there was a very helpful thread I started earlier in the year here about Crohns where people were most helpful about the symptoms, living with it etc. but the annoying thing is, like IBS, different triggers affect different people. What's all the more worrying is that raw veg & salads (which I actually really do like) apparently seems to make it much worse in me and others, and stodge is the "safe" option, which is also the case with me but it's not making me any thinner!
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Can't you find some turkeys to lube up?
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cereal bars?

Or you should try those Special K sweet chilli cracker crisps. Those are yummy and low calorie. They have other flavours as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cereal bars?

Or you should try those Special K sweet chilli cracker crisps. Those are yummy and low calorie. They have other flavours as well.

can't do either of those because of the coeliac thing, but they are good methods for others :) Annoyingly, there's quite a lot out there if you can digest wheat!! But ta anyway.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rice cakes are good to nibble on. Not sure if you can have them though.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you can't eat rye as a Coeliac OP? There's gluten in rye no?

I avoid gluten although I'm not Coeliac.

Suggestion for hunger pangs (generally available from local health food shop):

Clearspring Japanese rice crackers
    Orgran buckwheat crispbread
    Rice cakes
    Corn crackers
    Nut mix - I have peanuts & raisins, almonds, pistachos, brazils
    Seed mix - sesame, sunflower seeds, hemp & pumpkin seeds
    Dried fruit mix - blueberries, cherries, cranberries, apricots & prunes

Miso soup

Superfood shakes: Spirulina, Barley grass & Wheat grass (look for gluten free) mix that up with some spinach & cucumber for nutritious snack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi MPG as you know I have Colitis too, fun :o. I can't eat fruit of any kind or drink fruit juice. If you look on my fb page you will find links to the Crones Colitis Forum. All very helpful and friendly too. I usually don't eat during the day, drinking tea like it is going out of fashion as I find if I eat then it makes things worse. :(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best thing is to seep drinking fluids such as water or herbal teas.

Dehydration sometimes masquerades itself in the form of hunger pangs so make sure you drink 2ltrs a day.

Brushing teeth helps as well using mouthwash. Note that, you shouldn't be starving yourself for 5 hours or more.......
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

Soup needs to be homemade soup - not a cupa-soup.

Potato and leek in a pan with vegetable stock and add fresh herbs - then blend to as fine or chunky as you like. Take to work in a flask if there is no microwave. Loads of other veg work the same - there is no need to add fat to a soup.