Options

Rebecca Ruled out of the trial on medical grounds........AGAIN

Comments

• Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Gosh, what a venomous thread. It feels a bit like schoolground taunts and bitching at someone who has a reason not to play sports. Why should everyone be privy to her "health reason"? Speculating about heavy periods......!!!!!!

If a doctor (there's a clue in the name and it indicates that he has a qualification to make an informed decision) decides that she should be exempt then why should a posters on an internet forum get their knickers in a twist and decree that it's wrong and express such hate????

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out here. I fully take the point that if it is something personal or even just something she doesn't want disclosed she absolutely doesn't have any obligation to anyone.

Having said that I can also see how people may question why someone would be selected to go on this kind of show if they knew about this in advance.

None of this of course is Rebecca's fault, but I'd say it's fair enough to question the production team or people who cast her (unless this is something that has happened since she arrived), especially when half their money comes from people who phone vote celebs to do these trials.

I think the fact that she is an Olympic Gold medal athlete is actually WHY they are questioning her exemption, as opposed to say Biggins. In a way it's a compliment to her perceived sporting/ physical excellence and perhaps other peoples' keenness to see her smash some trials that adds to the speculation.

A broken arm or a person's advanced age would both be an obvious reason but when she 'appears' in excellent health, I can see how this might prick other people's curiosity even more.

Not saying it's right, just trying to explain why I don't think this thread is quite as 'venomous' as you say.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    It's not hate, just seems a bit unfair and people like a level playing field. If the exemptions carry on at this rate with her I can see why people may question whether she should have been chosen for the jungle.

Although I really dislike the targeting of her as a 'work-shy' campmate, that's also a fair point. It seems that anything involving an enclosed space is off her menu. Which, to be fair, makes her exempt from a good % of the trials.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Although I really dislike the targeting of her as a 'work-shy' campmate, that's also a fair point. It seems that anything involving an enclosed space is off her menu. Which, to be fair, makes her exempt from a good % of the trials.

It would have helped if the producers had changed the order that tasks were played out as it does seem a fair few in a short space of time.
  • Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruled out again :eek::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Paul_Palmer89Paul_Palmer89 Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a joke now, she's gotta go on 1st day of vote off!
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    This is a joke now, she's gotta go on 1st day of vote off!

I'd be happy with that :cool:
  • Options
    LeeyaLeeya Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I don't understand what is wrong with her since she's a young athletic, hardly adjectives that would point towards not being able to do trials
    If she's claustrophobic, I somewhat (somehow) understand as a slight agoraphobic myself
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    campaign speech: when the opportunity arises to vote her out, do the right thing and vote her off
  • Options
    misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Maybe her medical condition is what forced her to retire.
    Regardless, it's really none of our business.

Then don't go on a programme that will say you can't participate on medical grounds; people are curious thats all. I suppose all will be revealed when she does loose women, Lorraine et all when its finished.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    Leeya wrote: »
    I don't understand what is wrong with her since she's a young athletic, hardly adjectives that would point towards not being able to do trials
    If she's claustrophobic, I somewhat (somehow) understand as a slight agoraphobic myself

Wouldn't that be akin to the whole load of other celebs that have come with their phobias and tried to conquer them :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get her out, Olympian or not, she is a waste of space in the jungle:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she is claustrophobic and the sheer panic she feels brings on an asthma attack. I certainly wouldn't want to see her go through that just because she has joined this show. Asthma is an awful condition and even athletes aren't immune.
  • Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    campaign speech: when the opportunity arises to vote her out, do the right thing and vote her off

Unless she is up against that Fonso geezer she will be getting my vote.
  • Options
    AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who ever devised the trials has gone for one that rules out certain medical conditions. Health and Safety would have said no. It is not her fault a section of trials are based on similar themes.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    For the people saying shes claustrophobic, isnt that the whole point?

They want the celebs to be uncomfortable for entertainment so being claustrophobic wont stop her from doing the challenges.

Can you imagine if they said this is a bunjee jump challenege so the following 6 people are exempt because they dont like heights? Or this challenge is in a coffin so anyone whos claustrophobic doesnt have to do it?

I dont like small spaces, so i wouldnt go on a show like this. I wouldnt expect to be able to pick and chose challenges based on what i like and what im not too keen on.

So i dont think its claustrobphobia. They would just let you off for that unless it could cause you serious damage.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has she been ruled IN for any of them?
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    For the people saying shes claustrophobic, isnt that the whole point?

They want the celebs to be uncomfortable for entertainment so being claustrophobic wont stop her from doing the challenges.

Can you imagine if they said this is a bunjee jump challenege so the following 6 people are exempt because they dont like heights? Or this challenge is in a coffin so anyone whos claustrophobic doesnt have to do it?

I dont like small spaces, so i wouldnt go on a show like this. I wouldnt expect to be able to pick and chose challenges based on what i like and what im not too keen on.

So i dont think its claustrobphobia. They would just let you off for that unless it could cause you serious damage.
    Asthma is serious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nosaer wrote: »
    Has she been ruled IN for any of them?

Some but I've lost track, are we up to 4 exemptions now and out of how many tasks?
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    Asthma is serious

So is the internet. Come on, you know the rules ;)

http://htmlgiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/internet-serious-business.jpg
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She won't go first. But being ruled out of so many trials on medical grounds is a joke.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    She won't go first. But being ruled out of so many trials on medical grounds is a joke.

She must be going for another record .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Asthma is serious

Sure is.

I for one would not go on a show like I'm a Celebrity expecting to be able to perform those tasks if I had asthma. I just would not agree to do it, because that would be the decent thing to do. Not just turn up, sit in a corner and take the fee.

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Sure is.

I for one would not go on a show like I'm a Celebrity expecting to be able to perform those tasks if I had asthma. I just would not agree to do it, because that would be the decent thing to do. Not just turn up, sit in a corner and take the fee.

Just sayin'.
    Didn't she just do a challenge which involved water and dipped her head under it?
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really disappointed in Rebecca. At the start I wanted her to win, but I went off her when she started whinging about girls like Amy making her feel bad about her looks - tough, we can't all be beautiful. And now she's been ruled out of so many tasks it's really not been worth having her in there.

Note: This is not full of venom or hate, just sad disappointment. I have sympathy with her if she has a serious health issue, like asthma, but she shouldn't have gone in if she wasn't up to the challenges.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asthma is serious

yes, not being able to beathe easily must've been a real impediment when she swam all those lengths fast enough to beat the best swimmers in the world.

I was rooting for Rebecca initially but this is turning out to be a big mistake for her PR-wise. Didn't she get turned down for Strictly? Maybe these medical issues played a part in that. It may not be asthma or claustrophobia. Whatever it is, that it's meant she's not eligible for most trials and that shows she wasn't suitable for this show in the first place.