Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are music labels staying in business?

Apparently Epic are on the brink financially. Perhaps labels are encouraging their artists to tour more, since this brings in the most revenue, as well as budgeting a campaign very carefully (Gaga's label might be regretting spending so much on her for this campaign). A lot of labels also have a couple of high profile/decent selling artists that probably make enough for them to keep going - no doubt 1D are making fortunes for Syco.
  • Options
    19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Little Me is Radio 1's Track of The Day at some point.
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A spokesperson for Jade told MailOnline: 'She's not engaged.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2513176/Little-Mixs-Jade-Thirlwall-denies-shes-engaged-Diversity-star-boyfriend-Sam-Craske-sporting-HUGE-sparkling-band-ring-finger.html

A source said: "It would be exciting to have another Little Mix engagement but sadly it was just a bit of costume jewellery that only fit that finger."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/little-mix-jade-isnt-engaged-2849309

Behind the scenes, Leigh-Anne found out and beat the crap outta Sam. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a comment where someone said "now that 1d is profitable on their own, hopefully Simon will spend it on *insert artist".

I had to laugh. Top funding will always go to 1d. Just like it went to Leona for awhile.

Edit:

I also wish he girls would appear on semi finale night and sing studio version of "little me" that would help a lot...

Someone over at buzzjack had earlier prediction this would sell 100k by January 1st. Looks like they are right. So far it's headed that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone paid attention to the stocking supply in their stores? I saw Perrie tweet an out of stock pic over the weekend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone over at buzzjack had earlier prediction this would sell 100k by January 1st. Looks like they are right. So far it's headed that way.

Well I'm hoping at least 200k by January when people are bing their Christmas presents and January sale

Edit: my number predictions have been ok so far :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How are music labels staying in business?
    I've seen some unattributed quotes from label reps that they're hopeful the industry will at least stay flat this year based on expanded streaming revenue. We'll see how that panned out in a couple of months, I guess.

Personally I got a Google Play sub and it's wonderful but I pretty much plan to never buy an album again. (I did import Salute, but that's because I'm here in this thread, I didn't want to wait several months, and I adhere to a very strict no-stealing policy few of my peers seem to share.)

Increased live shows and merch sales aside, it seems to me that the way forward for the labels consists of growing all the existing streaming services and monetizing Youtube at a Spotify level, but it's a huge dice roll. At the current sub to ad-supported uptake and pay rates, my back of the envelope math suggests they'll need 100m-150m subs across all of the services to replace current global sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    Apparently Epic are on the brink financially. Perhaps labels are encouraging their artists to tour more, since this brings in the most revenue, as well as budgeting a campaign very carefully (Gaga's label might be regretting spending so much on her for this campaign). A lot of labels also have a couple of high profile/decent selling artists that probably make enough for them to keep going - no doubt 1D are making fortunes for Syco.

Yes I heard about Epic in America. But when I look t their artist rooster I see artists that only had 1 or 2 hits in America. I heard that LA Reid is jumping ship and they are dropping some artists.
    1D are making insane money for Syco. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chem wrote: »
    Well I'm hoping at least 200k by January when people are bing their Christmas presents and January sale

Edit: my number predictions have been ok so far :D
    Move weekly sales: 33,891
    Move total sales: 169,663

Salute weekly sales: 21,060
    Salute total sales: 56,341

The album would have to rack up 30k every week between now and the end of the year. That's a tall order.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chem wrote: »
    Yes I heard about Epic in America. But when I look t their artist rooster I see artists that only had 1 or 2 hits in America. I heard that LA Reid is jumping ship and they are dropping some artists.
    1D are making insane money for Syco. :eek:

Looking at the list of names Epic have on their roster, it's no surprise they're struggling. Of all their artists, I can only recall Tamar Braxton having a successful single/album this year.

With regards to Salute, I'd like LM to sell about 20k a week in the run up to Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album would have to rack up 30k every week between now and the end of the year. That's a tall order.

I think it could. This week is when Christmas shopping will begin. (Well for me :p :cool:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the list of names Epic have on their roster, it's no surprise they're struggling. Of all their artists, I can only recall Tamar Braxton having a successful single/album this year.

This is why Fifth Harmony are being pushed so frantically in the US, they are potentially the answer to all of Epic's prayers (and the X Factor's credibility) so they are just going to throw everything they can at trying to make them happen. Cher Lloyd was looking promising for them at some point, but that has tailed off quite badly by the looks of things, in fact they look to have lost interest. They seem to be after a big 1D-type brand to really bring the money in.

I don't know the ins and outs but I assume that Syco own the Little Mix 'brand' so are benefitting from the nail polish, make up and clothing deals they currently have amongst other things. All things in LM's favour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With regards to Salute, I'd like LM to sell about 20k a week in the run up to Christmas.

There could be a number of reasons for the poor sales generally:

1. Nobody has any money to buy what really is a luxury.
    2. The multiplicity of places that you can get hold of music - both legally & illegally is eventually going to take its toll on total sales..
    3. The poor quality and lack of originality in music at the moment is perhaps beginning to show. I must admit I am struggling to locate a decent record in my favourite genre of music. The Top 40 in the UK is full of samey unoriginal rubbish that pales against music around 10-15 years ago.

Or a combination of all 3 of course ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »

2. The multiplicity of places that you can get hold of music - both legally & illegally is eventually going to take its toll on total sales..
    3. The poor quality and lack of originality in music at the moment is perhaps beginning to show. I must admit I am struggling to locate a decent record in my favourite genre of music. The Top 40 in the UK is full of samey unoriginal rubbish that pales against music around 10-15 years ago.

Sales are worse than ever in the US too, even though the economy's rebounded a bit here. So the prevalence of streaming seems a more likely culprit.

I maintain that the top 40 has always been 80% rubbish, largely determined by marketing budgets, and the wheat gets separated from the chaff over time. Actually revisiting the top 40 charts from my teen years was surprising and instructive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »

It's all down to the internet. People generally don't buy records now until they are absolutely sure, they can 'try before they buy' on streaming services or by illegally downloading. At one point people would try out music by actually buying the record from the record shop, that barely happens anymore which wipes out a large number of sales.

Don't forget this is a country that has seen acts such as Bob The Builder & The Teletubbies sell around a million copies of singles in the past. Neither of which were charity efforts. Crap has always sold.

Music evolves. Your a dance music fan and the 90's/early 00's was a golden era for that genre, but that is only an opinion. I agree with you that modern dance music isn't as good, but its hardly uncommon to hear people complaining about how much better things were when they were younger...
  • Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    It's all down to the internet. People generally don't buy records now until they are absolutely sure, they can 'try before they buy' on streaming services or by illegally downloading. At one point people would try out music by actually buying the record from the record shop, that barely happens anymore which wipes out a large number of sales.

Don't forget this is a country that has seen acts such as Bob The Builder & The Teletubbies sell around a million copies of singles in the past. Neither of which were charity efforts. Crap has always sold.

Music evolves. Your a dance music fan and the 90's/early 00's was a golden era for that genre, but that is only an opinion. I agree with you that modern dance music isn't as good, but its hardly uncommon to hear people complaining about how much better things were when they were younger...

Erm excuse me but Bob the a builder is NOT crap - how dare you!:p I will give you the Teletubbies.
  • Options
    aldualdu Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone paid attention to the stocking supply in their stores? I saw Perrie tweet an out of stock pic over the weekend.

Went to my local Tesco yesterday there were like 5 left, bought 2..
  • Options
    Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    To any UK-based fans who don't know, over the Xmas period MTV Christmas will be showing a five-hour 'Happy Little Mixmas' special with a countdown of their favourite festive songs and them answering questions from fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aldu wrote: »
    Went to my local Tesco yesterday there were like 5 left, bought 2..

Commited! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holte139 wrote: »
    To any UK-based fans who don't know, over the Xmas period MTV Christmas will be showing a five-hour 'Happy Little Mixmas' special with a countdown of their favourite festive songs and them answering questions from fans.

Have yourself
    A Merry Little Mixmaaaaaaas

/Bing Crosby voice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have yourself
    A Merry Little Mixmaaaaaaas

/Bing Crosby voice

Haha, from the title I thought it was going to be one of those really stereotypical, cheesy Christmas countdowns but I saw the last 15 minutes and it was quite entertaining. The girls seemed to answer the fans' questions really honestly, so I'm sure we'll all be able to learn a lot of new things from/about them through it. I hope someone manages to create a highlights package from it for all you US-based fans. Actually scratch that, I hope it airs in the States for you!

I did have to laugh though when they announced that their #1 Christmas song was Move! :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this air already? How did you see it? Or should I ask?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The first airing was tonight but it's going to be repeated a lot of times up until Christmas. I saw it through Sky (satellite TV) on MTV Christmas. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in the US, sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully some kind soul will do a highlights package on YouTube. 4 hrs, of which they will probably feature for 10% of is a bit steep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tim_A wrote: »
    Hopefully some kind soul will do a highlights package on YouTube. 4 hrs, of which they will probably feature for 10% of is a bit steep.

If you've got Sky or Virgin you could just record it and fast-forward to the speaking bits!
This discussion has been closed.