Options

Xbox Live HDMI TV passthrough

Comments

• Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My housemates got an xbox one and we have our TV set top box hooked into the console. It's very impressive but on sports and fast paced TV theres definitely is a slight lag, that hinders the experience slightly, sure it'll get sorted though!
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't really a way to fix this though, short of reducing the native output of the console to 50hz globally, or putting up with an ugly transition (spoiling 'snap' feature) if you want to keep games at 60hz. There's no magic fix to have it work smoothly while keeping the system at 60hz output.

I see it's popped up on the support forums a few times, eg -

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1628540.aspx

a few other AV sites have found the issue too -

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-50hz-201311233468.htm

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Computers-Gaming/Xbox-One-and-HDMI-Passthrough-with-VM-TiVo/td-p/2083706

http://www.avforums.com/threads/xbox-1-50hz-broadcast-hdmi-input-problem.1831965/

I did see some people mention it may also affect onboard media playback, ie Netflix/Lovefilm etc and DVD, forced 60hz of 50hz material to maintain smooth transitioning from the UI (although Blu-Ray definitely 'snaps' into it's correct refresh rate according to users).
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    There isn't really a way to fix this though, short of reducing the native output of the console to 50hz globally, or putting up with an ugly transition (spoiling 'snap' feature) if you want to keep games at 60hz. There's no magic fix to have it work smoothly while keeping the system at 60hz output.

I see it's popped up on the support forums a few times, eg -

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1628540.aspx

a few other AV sites have found the issue too -

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-50hz-201311233468.htm

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Computers-Gaming/Xbox-One-and-HDMI-Passthrough-with-VM-TiVo/td-p/2083706

http://www.avforums.com/threads/xbox-1-50hz-broadcast-hdmi-input-problem.1831965/

I did see some people mention it may also affect onboard media playback, ie Netflix/Lovefilm etc and DVD, forced 60hz of 50hz material to maintain smooth transitioning from the UI (although Blu-Ray definitely 'snaps' into it's correct refresh rate according to users).

I'm starting to wonder if MS have really thought out this whole 'TV Integration' stuff. Didn't anyone at MS bring up the 50Hz issue during development of Xbox One? Or even test that the pass-though wouldn't degrade picture quality (because it sure does!).

By the looks of it, a 'perfect fix', one where Snap still works smoothly, may not be possible. Considering that's a key feature of the system, that's not great.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if MS have really thought out this whole 'TV Integration' stuff. Didn't anyone at MS bring up the 50Hz issue during development of Xbox One? Or even test that the pass-though wouldn't degrade picture quality (because it sure does!).

By the looks of it, a 'perfect fix', one where Snap still works smoothly, may not be possible. Considering that's a key feature of the system, that's not great.

It was obvious in the UK. Why did you buy it?
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    It was obvious in the UK. Why did you buy it?

Obvious? How? Enlighten us.

Looks at post history.

Oh, right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's annoying having half ass implementation of features, but didn't MS state the TV side would only work in the US.

I don't know the exact wording MS used when they explained the TV features and how and where they'd work, but maybe MS were aware from the start that this feature was only going to work correctly state side.

Was there any indication that this feature would be fully implemented world wide at a later date, or is that just the assumption people made, I honestly don't know what MS announced regarding TV integration.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    It's annoying having half ass implementation of features, but didn't MS state the TV side would only work in the US.

I don't know the exact wording MS used when they explained the TV features and how and where they'd work, but maybe MS were aware from the start that this feature was only going to work correctly state side.

Was there any indication that this feature would be fully implemented world wide at a later date, or is that just the assumption people made, I honestly don't know what MS announced regarding TV integration.

It is a bit of a unknown at the moment in regards to the tv functionality. There doesn't seem to be any indication as to who MS are partnering up with outside of the USA.

Question is - will new owners be slightly peeved if it doesn't happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TV functionality/pass-through function certainly wasn't flagged up as being 'unsuitable' for 50hz regions - and there has been TV programming (sports mainly) in their advertising - but forget that, if the forced 60hz output is affecting streaming services too, then that's got to be addressed.
  • Options
    the_polar_bearthe_polar_bear Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a PS3 and Xbox360 and went for Xbox One. I hooked it up to my SKY box and tried to watch the West Ham vs Chelsea game at the weekend and couldn't for reason above.

I will be really pissed off if this is not fixed as I watch mostly Sport and wasn't aware of the fact it wouldn't work when I bought it.

That said, the Xbox One is a great piece of kit and looking forward to when decent games are available. The Skype Integration is awesome and Skype calls to my family at home are now a real pleasure due to the system and the kinect camera.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I bought the xbox one on release knowing full well certain aspects would not be available/working as they should straight away. I imagine the console will last at least a similar length to the 360 and issues will be put to bed through this time. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

How many of you really expected it to be running without hitches from day one ?

With patches easily applied this shouldn't be a big concern. Let's see how much better it is by spring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rawowl wrote: »
    With patches easily applied this shouldn't be a big concern. Let's see how much better it is by spring.

It's a technical problem between source-hardware-display. A patch can't make it work exactly as it would for a machine in a 60hz region, their options (magic excluded) would appear to be:

(A) Switch the console itself to 50hz output globally, so that everything runs at the same rate and the 'snap' function will still be seamless between all operations. This would potentially impact games - it's possible some games won't run at 50hz, or won't do so in multiplayer.

(B) Allow frequency switching, so content - whatever it is - runs at it's native rate, so all media (games included) output the way they should. This is the ideal, for the purist, but it will make switching (ie snap) look ugly, as your display will blank for a moment (this varies depending on screen maker) between switching frequencies.

Their best bet is to give the user the option of 'as it is now' or (B) in their settings. It should be able to sense the conflict in frequency rates on input and media content, and remind the user of the available options, should they wonder why things look a little off.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »

MS said the full One Guide (the EPG overlay with STB control via Kinect's IR blaster) would not be available outside America at launch... but MS never said that the HDMI passthrough would be even more crippled in the UK and elsewhere due to the 50Hz/60Hz issue or anything else.

If it was not intended to work here properly at all, now or later, then MS should never have even had the option there on non-American consoles.

But, as it is, it *was* intended to work here now, just without the One Guide (which itself is coming next year)...
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Bit annoyed I can't play my 360 though the X1 without input lag, why wasn't I told? Albert Penello even clearly stated this a good time before launch but none of the media picked up on it. It's a shame as it's a really cool feature and while my TV has 4 HDMI-in only has one allows a pure no-lag PC mode at 1080p. I've plugged my PC into it instead which works better for me.

Remember the Xbox One was designed to be continually on so don't worry about overheating or anything like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Various media outlets did pick up on the statement that using the passthrough for interactive entertainment would not be ideal due to lag.

e.g.

http://kotaku.com/though-albert-penello-microsofts-director-of-product-p-1368126435

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/microsoft-yes-you-can-plug-ps4-xbox-one-please-dont-4B11233762

The passthrough is a cool feature, but I think it's been poorly implemented. No passive passthrough, which is an issue for many people using the console and Sky/Virgin STB on a household/family TV rather than their own personal TV. Juddering issues due to MS forgetting that not everyone uses 60Hz for TV. Image degradation and darkening of anything put through the passthrough.

I have my Xbox One set to "energy saving" mode rather than "instant on". Sure, it's designed to be on, but it's still a waste of energy. I don't mind losing the faster boot, and certainly don't care about losing "Xbox, on". Easier to just press the new version of the Guide button to turn it on, just like the 360.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a thread (of several on the problem) in the official Xbox One support forum, where "Studbucket" (who, I am given to understand is a member of the product dev team) has posted, apparently oblivious to the pitfalls of 50-60hz conversion, but noting the reports nonetheless - better than some other threads where people are told to try different cables, or turning it off and on again.

Studbucket comments on page 1:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4277/t/1625096.aspx?PageIndex=1

'Mister Ohnaka' (page 2) asks for reports with console IDs

There's a Sky forum thread on it,

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/General-Discussion-for-almost/Xbox-One-HDMI-Passthru/td-p/1490571

Only noteworthy thing there is that apparently Kinect interferes with active 3D glasses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinect interferes with active 3D? LOL, I guess we won't be seeing 3D Blu-ray support any time soon then :rolleyes:

As for the HDMI passthrough... such a great idea, let down by terrible implementation :(
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any benefit to hooking your Xbox 360 through this HDMI connection on the Xbox One?
    Is it just a saving of a HDMI connection?
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible when using TV mode that you can play a game full screen and have the audio of the TV app still playing. I would like to hear my apple TV playing music while gaming. The only I could get it work was in snap mode but I would like my game to be full screen.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Kinect interferes with active 3D? LOL, I guess we won't be seeing 3D Blu-ray support any time soon then :rolleyes:

As for the HDMI passthrough... such a great idea, let down by terrible implementation :(

I wondered about this. Some 3D glasses use Infra Red to sync with the TV, so Kinect constantly bathing the room in IR light was bound to cause issues.

Another issue for people with Sky 3D would be the lack if a SBS optimised 3D mode for the dashboard. If your watching a 3D programme on Sky and get a notification, Skype call or try to use Snap Mode, then all you'll see is a jumbled mess of graphics all over the screen. Not a great solution for a supposed all-in-one system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any benefit to hooking your Xbox 360 through this HDMI connection on the Xbox One?
    Is it just a saving of a HDMI connection?

The only benefit is saving an HDMI connection.

... but that would be outweighed by the drawbacks:

- You would need the Xbox One fully powered up every time you wanted to use the Xbox 360.

- Using the passthrough for anything "interactive" is not recommended because of lag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody in the comments section of the DS news story on this, posted that there is a way to get the Xbox One to run natively at 50hz (it may even be that some of those saying they don't notice the juddering have unkowingly initialised their units this way):
    "First, set your Xbox One to auto-detect HDMI (under Display settings). Then, toggle the resolution from 1080p to 720p (or vice versa), which should trigger a prompt window asking if the screen is displaying correctly, and if you want to keep the new resolution. Select “No” before the 15 seconds is up. This seems to trick the Xbox One into thinking that the TV is not compatible with 60Hz signal, and voila! 50Hz output.

This is not ideal though as the games then suffer from some stutter due to the frame rate difference."

So the unit CAN run it's UI and therefore incoming signals at the correct rate - but doing so means the games (which are obviously fixed 60hz) then suffer the frame judder symptom (though then for a reverse reason - frame dropping).

It would make sense to advise owners that if they intend to use TV features/throughput, 50hz is the ideal for image quality (some won't care, others it'll drive insane) - and include an option to switch to 60hz when launching a game, returning to 50hz on exit to UI.

Include a kinect voice command - "Xbox - 50hz!" "Xbox - 60hz!"
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    The only benefit is saving an HDMI connection.

... but that would be outweighed by the drawbacks:

- You would need the Xbox One fully powered up every time you wanted to use the Xbox 360.

- Using the passthrough for anything "interactive" is not recommended because of lag.

Ah, I won't bother then.

My HDTV has 3 HDMI inputs of which 2 are currently used for my laptop and Xbox 360.

When I get the Xbox One i'll just use the spare HDMI.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    Somebody in the comments section of the DS news story on this, posted that there is a way to get the Xbox One to run natively at 50hz (it may even be that some of those saying they don't notice the juddering have unkowingly initialised their units this way):

So the unit CAN run it's UI and therefore incoming signals at the correct rate - but doing so means the games (which are obviously fixed 60hz) then suffer the frame judder symptom (though then for a reverse reason - frame dropping).

It would make sense to advise owners that if they intend to use TV features/throughput, 50hz is the ideal for image quality (some won't care, others it'll drive insane) - and include an option to switch to 60hz when launching a game, returning to 50hz on exit to UI.

Include a kinect voice command - "Xbox - 50hz!" "Xbox - 60hz!"

I can confirm that there is a massive difference in using the auto detect 50hz trick. Works a charm!

Now how hard can it be for Microsoft to put in an update where the menus and everything else runs at 50hz but as soon as we switch to a game it goes to 60hz? I mean the glitch mentioned with the auto detect etc proves its capable of switching hz rates at a moments notice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be easy for them to do it, they were probably hoping not to have to and that nobody would notice, so the switching and snap functions could still be said to be seamless.

Clearly the games are fixed at 60hz, everything else should be 50hz, I think most people could live with a brief blanking when launching or leaving a game. And the settings should include manual selection of screen modes (as well as an indication of the one in use). I'm certain this'll come.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Cool, look forward to hearing how you get on. I don't want to have to turn the X1 on to watch the TV all the time but at the same time, it would be a handy feature so I could hear the football scores or have a music station from Sky playing in the background

Splitter arrived this morning and works fine between Sky box and Xbox One and TV. I do need to power it though as the Sky box doesn't provide enough power to the splitter on its own.