Options

Was Susan just specific to the First Doctor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
Forum Member
As its the 30 year anniversary, I'm currently rewatching The Five Doctors. When the First and Fifth Doctor first meet in the Fifth Doctor's TARDIS, the First Doctor introduces Susan to the Fifth as if they had never met before and Davison replied 'Yes I know'. Yet, Susan is the Doctor's supposed granddaughter? Am I just being stupid or have others picked up on this as a question mark moment?

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was simply an assumption on the part of FIVE, through collective memory ..... or some other gubbins :D
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as far as we know she only travelled with the First Doctor. But yes, the script you're talking about was originally intending to disguise the fact that she was the Doctor's granddaughter so viewers wouldn't think of the Doctor as someone who had sex and fathered children, but Carole Ann Ford rightfully vetoed this.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well she appeared in 4 Big Finish audios with the 8th Doctor
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Well she appeared in 4 Big Finish audios with the 8th Doctor

She also met with the 8th in the BBC Book Legacy of the Daleks.
  • Options
    onemorearrowonemorearrow Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Well as far as we know she only travelled with the First Doctor. But yes, the script you're talking about was originally intending to disguise the fact that she was the Doctor's granddaughter so viewers wouldn't think of the Doctor as someone who had sex and fathered children, but Carole Ann Ford rightfully vetoed this.

I can't remember the scene at all, what are the lines? I can't see how this would have been intended at all. Susan was always known as the Doctor's Granddaughter; if it wasn't unacceptable in 1963, I don't see why it ought to be 20 years later. When has there ever been anything shameful and disgusting about having children? In any case, An Unearthly Child was running concurrently on BBC2 as part of the Five Faces of Doctor Who repeat season, so any attempt to "disguise" who Susan was to the Doctor was clearly futile and misguided.

Like I say, I can't remember the scene off hand, but it sounds like just bad writing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was them just messing about with time travel. Susan wouldn't know who the 5th doctor was but he'd know who she was
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember them disgusting the fact she was his granddaughter. In Hartnell days she's always refered to as his granddaughter to make it seem more of a family
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snopaelic wrote: »
    I think it was them just messing about with time travel. Susan wouldn't know who the 5th doctor was but he'd know who she was

They are both Time Lords/Ladies so they would know each other instantly when there minds connected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep but at the time this was made that rule wasn't always applied. The 1st Doctor doesn't recognise the Master either, lol also that whole debate in the community about whether she is his biological daughter or not. But I think it's a case of being a cheap pun on time travel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, the Master has hijacked someone else's body for that incarnation.
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that's a real missed opportunity now that Matt's going, would have been to have an aged Carole Ann Ford playing against a really young looking Doctor and calling him Grandfather.

That would have been a really interesting thing to play with
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Considering he was being reunited with his granddaughter Five had a very bland reaction to meeting Susan again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The five doctors was a bit of a mess with continuity errors
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,059
    Forum Member
    The five doctors was a bit of a mess with continuity errors

Maybe Steven Moffat can rewrite that as well.:)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it - none of the other Doctors made any response to Susan, his beloved grand-daughter. She only seemed to make friends with Turlough!

"Yes, one day I shall come back.....etc" He DID!! What he do? Ignore the poor accident-prone child!! :D
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I don't remember them disgusting the fact she was his granddaughter. In Hartnell days she's always refered to as his granddaughter to make it seem more of a family
    Considering he was being reunited with his granddaughter Five had a very bland reaction to meeting Susan again.

I do remember the fan world in the Eighties and, good grief, did a good many agonise over the 'granddaughter' bit! It was mainly expunged and quite acceptable to consider 'grandfather' to be an 'honorary' title, like 'Uncle/Aunty' for your parents' friends that lived across the road.:eek: It was said (then) that it was so that it was to make sure that there was nothing dodgy-looking in the relationship. So the fact that it was referred to at all was nothing short of controversial for a good part of fandom. To focus on it would have just been a step too far and JNT would have been hounded into immediate retirement!
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    It's brilliant that it was less dodgy for her to be a young girl travelling with a man she just calls "grandfather" than for it to be her actual grandfather!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    She also met with the 8th in the BBC Book Legacy of the Daleks.

True but events in that contradict the Big Finishes

Given that the 8th Doctor mentioned his companions from Big Finish in The Night Of The Doctor I would say that that makes those audios more canon-ish than the BBC books
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    It's brilliant that it was less dodgy for her to be a young girl travelling with a man she just calls "grandfather" than for it to be her actual grandfather!

I think the point is not that it would be dodgier for him to be her grandfather but that simply having him as some old bloke she hangs out with would be more dodgy. The viewer can interpret it either as a sort of adopted relationship, with him as a sort of guardian, or literal, whichever they prefer.
    theARE wrote: »
    One thing that's a real missed opportunity now that Matt's going, would have been to have an aged Carole Ann Ford playing against a really young looking Doctor and calling him Grandfather.

That would have been a really interesting thing to play with

I don't know much about the audio series but I did hear her in one of the Eighth Doctor's stories, and McGann's younger than her by twenty years.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there even debate about this? Of course Susan was his real granddaughter.

In Fear Her, The Doctor stated he was once a dad.
    In The Name of the Doctor, the Doctor and Susan are seen leaving Gallifrey together. Indicating she's a Time Lord.

Perhaps some of the fans are disturbed by the concept of the Doctor laying in bed ******** someone, but he must have done it. Susan was without doubt his granddaughter by blood.

People say "then why is she called Susan?" Well, why does the Doctor call himself the Doctor?

Besides Susan couldn't apply for the Coal Hill School under the name Romaoemamaouieoomeknal or whatever her real Time Lord name is, could she?
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »

Perhaps some of the fans are disturbed by the concept of the Doctor laying in bed ******** someone, but he must have done it. Susan was without doubt his granddaughter by blood.

Not necessarily. Time Lords are not humans, so may reproduce in a completely different way. Genetic looms perhaps?

Runs for cover.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. Time Lords are not humans, so may reproduce in a completely different way. Genetic looms perhaps?

Runs for cover.

Interesting theory. But, hearts aside, Time Lords are essentially built like humans. So logically, it's most likely that they reproduce by ******* just the same as humans. I might be wrong.

Also, the Doctor left Susan with that David fellow, knowing that they'd fallen in love. So therefore one has to assume that Time Lords and humans are compatible sexually, and therefore, like humans they **** rather than use mystical Time Vortex power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno watching the Hartnell years it never seems in doubt she is his real granddaughter. In the show she states that they had to leave the 49 century ( well in the original pilot.). No idea about the horrified fans in the eighties.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=JohnnyForget;70012065 Genetic looms perhaps?
    Runs for cover.[/QUOTE]

You'll never run fast enough...:)
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Interesting theory. But, hearts aside, Time Lords are essentially built like humans. So logically, it's most likely that they reproduce by ******* just the same as humans. I might be wrong.

Also, the Doctor left Susan with that David fellow, knowing that they'd fallen in love. So therefore one has to assume that Time Lords and humans are compatible sexually, and therefore, like humans they **** rather than use mystical Time Vortex power.

Especially as they had a son who was human as far as I recall from the audio? And Alex was a bit freaked out to find out that his mother was an alien. Which raises the question again as to whether Susan was Time Lord or 'just' Gallifreyan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I was also confused by the fact five had literally no reaction to seeing sarah again.