Options

Check my maths - deep fat fryer oil required

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
Got a round deep fat fryer:

diameter = 20cm (radius = 10cm)

depth required = 6cm

volume needed = height * ( pie * radius^2 )
= 6 * pi * 10^2 = 600 * pi =(ish)= 1900 cm^3

1 litre = 1000 cm^3 so to fill the fryer I need x2 litres, right ?!

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lifes too short for that lol.

Just buy some oil and test how much you need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go buy a bottle of oil and fill it up see what happens no need to do the maths for it.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »

In the context of a deep fat fryer, I presume "pie" is a variable rather than a constant? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fooey to the lottaya. :p

I'm going the 2 ltr route and'll just dilute it if it ain't enough, so in effect I'll be frying+boiling at the same time, which should get things done much faster. :cool:
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fooey to the lottaya. :p

I'm going the 2 ltr route and'll just dilute it if it ain't enough, so in effect I'll be frying+boiling at the same time, which should get things done much faster. :cool:

I hope you're kidding.
    Oil and water don't mix -when water and oil are together water sinks. In a frying pan this means that the water sinks in the oil. Therefore if the oil is above the boiling temperature of water any water droplets that are sinking in the oil with rapidly expand into a gas (water vapour).
    Its this rapid expansion under the surface of the oil that causes the explosive spattering of the oil.
  • Options
    Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I hope you're kidding.
    Oil and water don't mix -when water and oil are together water sinks. In a frying pan this means that the water sinks in the oil. Therefore if the oil is above the boiling temperature of water any water droplets that are sinking in the oil with rapidly expand into a gas (water vapour).
    Its this rapid expansion under the surface of the oil that causes the explosive spattering of the oil.

OP please please please listen to this guy/girl
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a round deep fat fryer:

diameter = 20cm (radius = 10cm)

depth required = 6cm

= 6 * pi * 10^2 = 600 * pi =(ish)= 1900 cm^3

:confused:

Yes

(filler to make 5 chars)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found out tonight that oil+water don't mix when my cooking method went from frying+boiling to frying+boiling+flame-grilling :eek:

^ don't worry, me jest, I do know not to mix oil+water. :)

and it looks like I rock as a math whizz. :cool:
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found out tonight that oil+water don't mix when my cooking method went from frying+boiling to frying+boiling+flame-grilling :eek:

^ don't worry, me jest, I do know not to mix oil+water. :)

and it looks like I rock as a math whizz. :cool:

Put some washing up liquid in with it next time, then they'll mix nicely into an emulsion... ;)
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, if you're going to fill it to the brim. But that doesn't sound a good idea; check what the instructions say. (Don't forget you need space for the chips! Or whatever you're cooking.) (Edit: it's possible you've already allowed for that in your calculation, since 6cm would be the shallowest deep fat fryer I've come across!)

For estimating the volume, you could just have seen have many 1 litre jugs of water it took (then drying thoroughly before adding actual oil).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ 6cm is the max level line which is about 3/4 -> 1/2 way up the fryer.

And yes I could have used an empty milk bottle to estimate the volume but..... but.... erm, well I ddin't think of that :doh:

re: adding washing up liquid - guess that would save me time as it'd clean the fryer during the cooking process. :)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't these things come with instructions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine there will be a marker or indicator inside the fryer to show where to fill to.

Although, IMO, deep fat frying at home is a no no. Makes your house smell and your arse fat. Save eating deep fried foods as a treat when you go out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Don't these things come with instructions?
    who keeps those ? :o
    orangebird wrote: »
    deepp fat frying at home is a no no. Makes your house smell and your arse fat. Save eating deep fried foods as a treat when you go out.
    if it's a choice between a fat ass or an empty belly I'll take the big booty. :)
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,299
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    I would imagine there will be a marker or indicator inside the fryer to show where to fill to.

Although, IMO, deep fat frying at home is a no no. Makes your house smell and your arse fat. Save eating deep fried foods as a treat when you go out.

I hope it doesn't make your house fat!! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nope but it does smell of arse . :(
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    1860mls cooking oil :D

Forget the fryer, use auntie bessies products they taste fried from the oven :D

I miss asdas yorkshire chips, moooo..

:D
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    nope but it does smell of arse . :(

You had an 'accident' then?

:o :eek:
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you put in to much oil you will not have enough room for the chips. So what you need to do is work out what volume of chips you want to fry. Take that away from the volume of oil required to fill the chip pan with oil. Subtract 2.3456890 % for the oil expanding. Heat and throw chips in. Remove when golden brown :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a bit obvious but...... my deep fat fryer has two fill lines indicated on the inside - a minimum line and a maxium line. So I just put in whatever is needed to keep the unit safely working.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Lifes too short for that lol.

Too short for a 3 second calculation on a pocket calculator that tells you it's 1885.2ml? Or even less for an adequately rough figure in your head? How depressing LOL.

10x10=100. But everyone should know that without thinking about it.

3.142 is a good enough figure for Pi that everyone should remember from school.

3x100 is 300. No one should have to work that out. 100x.142 is 14 or whatever, obviously. So it's about 314.

310 (which is roughly 314) times 6 is.... well 3x6 is 18. So that's 1800ml. 10x6 is 60. So that's about 1860ml in total. Hardly something that should tax anyone who can wipe their own backside without instructions. LOL

You buy oil in 1L bottles, so that's 2 bottles. Assuming you actually want to fill it. No need for a calculator of anything more than a second of thought and 16-22 years of state education.

Ohhh, Doctor Who stories make my brain melt!!!!!! Let's go set light to someone we wrongly think is a paedophile or paediatrician or however you spell it lol (spelling always gives me brain ache lol). And what about that H bloke out of Steps and what he did to that baby!!!!!!!! lol

I can't BELIEVE Kat's going back to Alfie!!!! AGAIN!!!!! And I got 8 GCSE A-stars! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Too short for a 3 second calculation on a pocket calculator? Or even less for an adequately rough figure in your head? How depressing LOL.

10x10=100. But everyone should know that without thinking about it.

3.142 is a good enough figure for Pi that everyone should remember from school.

3x100 is 300. No one should have to work that out. 100x.142 is 14 or whatever, obviously. So it's about 314.

310 (which is roughly 314) times 6 is.... well 3x6 is 18. So that's 1800ml. 10x6 is 60. So that's about 1860ml in total. Hardly something that should tax anyone who can wipe their own backside without instructions. LOL

You buy oil in 1L bottles, so that's 2 bottles. Assuming you actually want to fill it. No need for a calculator of anything more than a second of thought and 16-22 years of state education.

Ohhh, Doctor Who stories make my brain melt!!!!!! Let's go set light to someone we wrongly think is a paedophile or paediatrician or however you spell it lol (spelling always gives me brain ache lol). And what about that H bloke out of Steps and what he did to that baby!!!!!!!! lol

I can't BELIEVE Kat's going back to Alfie!!!! AGAIN!!!!! And I got 8 GCSE A-stars! lol

And you still can't spell your own name!! :p:D
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    1860mls cooking oil :D

Forget the fryer, use auntie bessies products they taste fried from the oven :D

I miss asdas yorkshire chips, moooo..

:D

They should do with the amount of fat/lard/oil that they put on them. Might as well just use a fryer.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    And you still can't spell your own name!! :p:D
    You've walked straight into the trap! There's a character limit on Digital Spy for user names ;-)

Besides, Kingdom was my great-granddad. My own middle name is Principality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've walked straight into the trap! There's a character limit on Digital Spy for user names ;-)

Besides, Kingdom was my great-granddad. My own middle name is Principality.

Do you know, I have walked into a trap but not the one you perceive.

I was convinced it was "Isombard" but when I looked for a link to prove it I found that it was I who was wrong.

That'll teach me to check first!!