Options

Helicopter crashes into pub in Glasgow

Comments

• Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's been getting grief on his facebook page too.

https://www.facebook.com/john.mcgarriglejnr

Jesus! I'm just reading that guys comments!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I've not been following Sky during this, they sound as though they're being so insensitive. :(

Always the case in a tragedy. I've never watched it again since Kay Burley being oh so clever during the hunt from April Jones. I loathe that woman with a passion. Kay Burley that is, in case it's not obvious.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same, stay totally away from Sky News now in case the odious Kay Burley makes an appearance.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always the case in a tragedy. I've never watched it again since Kay Burley being oh so clever during the hunt from April Jones. I loathe that woman with a passion. Kay Burley that is, in case it's not obvious.

I don't think I've ever watched her to be honest (I don't have Sky and tend to go to the BBC site for news) but read enough about her on DS - if I have seen her then I can't remember doing so.. To me there's a line when tragedies like this happen. I know it's their job and all that but just basic common decency should be there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC update 1205:

"The BBC's Sophie Long says ambulances have been seen leaving the cordoned off area around the pub and are believed to have contained the bodies of victims."

Very poignant to see emergency teams form guard of honour as remaining victim's body removed from #Clutha pub. #respect"

As sad as the sight must be I hope it helps bring some comfort to their loved ones / relatives that their bodies have been found.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,641
    Forum Member
    dee-rec wrote: »
    I'm the same, stay totally away from Sky News now in case the odious Kay Burley makes an appearance.

Fingers crossed that one day she'll rub someone up the wrong way with her stupid & insensitive questions & they'll end up given her a right hook.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

hmm. reading his facebook page makes me think he would be anti police regardless of the circumstances. A very political man by the looks of it.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I've just been watching the bodies being brought out on Sky and I think it was handled respectfully and with dignity when the bodies were brought out. I wasn't expecting the emergency services to form a guard of honour and it was a nice touch and may bring some crumb of comfort to the bereaved to see their loved one's bodies being treated so respectfully.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    This is the second helicopter to crash in a city this year. In January a helicopter crashed onto a London street. Rather alarming. Perhaps the government or whoever is in charge of aviation should force all helicopters in the UK to be given a thorough service. Perhaps helicopters should have restricted flights over cities and towns?

The London crash had nothing to do with the safety of the aircraft. It hit a crane whilst flying low on a foggy morning. The pilot sadly misjudged his height.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus! I'm just reading that guys comments!

It's one thing disagreeing with the guys political views (and i definitely do) but you have to be a bit of a sick troll to then use that as an excuse to give him abuse about his father.

Hope the guy gets the book thrown at him!
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so too.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While there's no excuse for that vile verbal assault, I'm rather shocked by the guy's open support for terrorism. Not going to say anymore as it's irrelevant to the situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    hmm. reading his facebook page makes me think he would be anti police regardless of the circumstances. A very political man by the looks of it.

He would be best off making his Facebook page accessible to friends only rather than having it there for anyone to look at.

This is a really tragic accident and suddenly we have numerous helicopter experts and pilots commenting, the pilot could have done this, the pilot could have done that....sadly there will be a million "what ifs" especially for the families who have been bereaved, sadly we may never know the reason why this happened but the pilot was an experienced, former RAF pilot and no doubt, unless he was taken Ill, he would have done everything he could have to try and ditch the helicopter elsewhere.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best to ignore the TV pundits and read the thread on here for informed opinion.
    There's plenty of speculation of course but at least those posting nonsense are soon put right with the facts.
  • Options
    Presto ShinkoPresto Shinko Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    While there's no excuse for that vile verbal assault, I'm rather shocked by the guy's open support for terrorism. Not going to say anymore as it's irrelevant to the situation.

It's all about perception. He doesn't see it that way. He, like many, sees them as freedom fighters.

I too am not a fan of his extreme views and agree they shouldn't have a reflection on what he is going through.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    I prefer BBC News for coverage of most good or bad situations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    This is the second helicopter to crash in a city this year. In January a helicopter crashed onto a London street. Rather alarming. Perhaps the government or whoever is in charge of aviation should force all helicopters in the UK to be given a thorough service. Perhaps helicopters should have restricted flights over cities and towns?

It's also the third time that the Scottish Police Forces only helicopter has crashed and the second time it has hit a Glasgow building in a fatal accident.

I've seen it spending quite a lot of time in areas that I know have a very low crime rate so I've wondered in a few forums how necessary it really is if it's got time to spend in places without significant crime.

Oddly, some people have reacted like I'm insulting their religion to express doubt for the need of police helicopters, even though I've pointed out that many cities don't have them and are fine without them. :confused:
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kws wrote: »
    Oddly, some people have reacted like I'm insulting their religion to express doubt for the need of police helicopters, even though I've pointed out that many cities don't have them and are fine without them. :confused:

I'd be surpised if any reasonably sized UK city doesn't have a Police Chopper.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also the third time that the Scottish Police Forces only helicopter has crashed and the second time it has hit a Glasgow building in a fatal accident.

That was caused by a blizzard - hardly the same
    I've seen it spending quite a lot of time in areas that I know have a very low crime rate so I've wondered in a few forums how necessary it really is if it's got time to spend in places without significant crime.

How on earth would you know what was happening at a particular time? Furthermore just because the helicopter is over an area doesn't mean that's where it is working. Very often it's used for surveillance operations and will stand off from the target, using it's optics to "zoom in"...............that way the bad guys don't hear it.

Most major cities do have them. I have little doubt folks have reacted strangely to your comments................if they are as poorly thought out as this one.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many police helicopters operate in Scotland? Is the Telegraph correct in saying that there was only one, and thus now none?
    The police helicopter which crashed into the Clutha bar in Glasgow was the only one in operation in Scotland and the disaster has left the country’s national force without a helicopter.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10485595/Crash-leaves-Scotland-without-police-helicopter.html
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its such a damn shame the pilot couldn't have landed on the road he landed in the worst possible place not that he could have helped it.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Its such a damn shame the pilot couldn't have landed on the road he landed in the worst possible place not that he could have helped it.
    Though landing on a road in the middle of traffic wouldn't seem a great option either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »

I think the fact that 9 have died and 12 are in critical condition a damn shame.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I. Most Police authorites do have an assigned helicopter which generally serve their whole area if not specifically a city. Helicopters are assigned to areas when needed, and generally, because of population density, there is probably more need for a helicopter in a dense urban area than in a rural area.

2. Crime happens in all areas, good and bad. For all any of us know, they may be travelling over a low crime area to get to a high crime area.

3. Unless a detailed daily account is made available to the public, most of us have little or no knowledge of why a helicopter is over their area. The copter may not necessarily be responding to a crime, but may be providing surveillance or may be using heat-seeking equipment to identify 'drug factories, or may be responding to a major accident. They are not just used to follow joyriders (although if joyriders are not stopped , they can cause fatalities!)

4. Do you think air ambulances should not be allowed in urban areas as well?

5. Given the number of flying hours, police helicopter crashes are remarkably few, compared with fatal accidents involved with police cars responding to a crime. .
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    How many police helicopters operate in Scotland? Is the Telegraph correct in saying that there was only one, and thus now none?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10485595/Crash-leaves-Scotland-without-police-helicopter.html

That is correct. There was only one police helicopter for the whole of Scotland.