Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the actual layout as such, it's the colours and all that wasted space. On a 1080p monitor there's about a good 5/6cm minimum each side of the forum posts.

I understand the need to appeal to users of mobile devices, but we real computer users should at least have the ability to use a theme that fits our screens too, surely?.

I've just tried it on 2 tablets an Android and an iPad and it's no better on there than on my PC
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    It's awful on my ipad, I can't read the end of the posts, along the right hand side doesn't fit. Colours are bland. Horrible.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,293
    Forum Member
    Depressingly grey! :(

The black banner across the top before scrolling down is asking for screen burn.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/110379284@N05/11176207316/

Also the right side of the page is cut off unless I go full screen!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/110379284@N05/11176256005/

So much wasted space everywhere, this can't be the finished product, surely?!
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    At least I'll get some work done now as I won't be spending time on these forums anymore :D

Me too. I was worried about my 'addiction'. Suddenly I think I might be cured.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Awful font when you're typing - makes it very hard to read and edit.

Far too narrow.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hurts my eyes, tbh.

And it just looks horrid. Sorry to be so negative. :(
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's far too bright. It's starting to hurt my eyes and give me a headache. Please, please fix this otherwise I will no longer be able to use the forums.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to quit for the night, it's giving me weird-eye.

Maybe it'll be adjusted by tomorrow...
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I've just made my own custom theme for the forums using the browser extension Stylebot.

http://i.imgur.com/l9PA7CQ.png
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,697
    Forum Member
    Please can you get rid of the black boxes where the private message is, it looks so out of place. The old buttons have got to go and I'm not sure grey, grey and even more grey is the right way to go.

Other than that it's looking great.
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Can't see the right of the screen, & it won't let you scroll across, on a smartphone.

Same here ... I'm on iPad
  • Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    Dreadful. :eek:
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen, some of the words are hard to read, due to how lightly coloured they are. The right hand side of screen gets cut off too. :-(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Okay, This is what the forums look like on my 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor with the text at a sensible size and THIS is what they look like when zoomed to fit the screen, with text that's prbably visible from space.

Also, almost impossible to type at the moment.

Yes, this is what I see to.

And have you tried quoting someone, the message/reply box is now too small that it can be difficult to properly read and highlight any parts of someone's post you want to draw attention too.

Still, I guess (I hope) it is still a work in progress.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Getting a headache, I'm logging out for now.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks dreadful, the layout is a mess, navigation is non-existent. It really is frightening to think that anything this universally abysmal was put live.

Put the old format back please ASAP, and flush this effluence back down the toilet it came up from.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    I've just made my own custom theme for the forums using the browser extension Stylebot.

Well done looks so much better :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the space people are talking about will soon be filled with annoying pop up adverts
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's far too bright. It's starting to hurt my eyes and give me a headache. Please, please fix this otherwise I will no longer be able to use the forums.

Do you have trouble reading text written on paper too? Black text on a white background isn't generally considered difficult to read...
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Just tweaked the design myself using the browser extension Stylebot which should now override the default theme when I visit the forums on my PC.

• Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used it 5 minutes and I already have a headache from the contrast between the too bright header and too dull forum theme.

You're not the only one. I am now glancing at posts instead of reading them, because it's a really unpleasant experience - not good for a forum.

And the more I look at it, the more it feels like it's a website that hasn't loaded properly, which surely can't be the image they're looking for... :o
  • Options
    YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah it was grey on grey and a quick refresh now has a bit of white in it. And looks like Microsoft office 2013 outlook. ho-hum did you keep the receipt for the early xmas present? :D
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell was that the former owner said about not fiddling for the sake of fiddling when you have a winning forumula???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Literally laughable how much of a backfire this was...

...200 quid and I'll fix it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    :(

Weird, it's hurting my eyes now and I had a wee focus issue there for a second, and I haven't had a drink.
This discussion has been closed.