Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    How much is the Hearst Magazine empire worth?

I only ask as I'm not a web designer at all and this looks like something I would put together in an afternoon. Crap because I couldn't do the complex classy bits.

Seriously a paid professional did this? Did you keep the receipt?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,454
    Forum Member
    I've three initial points so far:

1. Contrast has been reduced so making it more difficult to see especially for those with vision problems.

2. Posts are too wide so you have to zoom out via the browser but that can affect other sites being browsed at the same time.

3. Navigation. As far as I can see so far, there's no way to get back to the initial forum homepage. The link at the top of the page has now gone and that makes things much more difficult to move around.
  • Options
    Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    The saying "a camel is a horse designed by a committee" springs to mind.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    TRYING IN CAPITALS AND BOLD TO SEE IF IT READS BETTER
    And for comparison some regular text

Much better in bold. At least I don't have to squint to read the posts.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's totally useless at present, I can't read the end of some posts.
    Think I'll just go away and hope it gets fixed sometime soon.
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Give it time. They just haven't got around to the new .pngs yet. They haven't updated the smilies to something post 1998 yet either.

Noooooo not the smilies as well?! :eek:
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,069
    Forum Member
    I think that there is too much white space. :( Sorry.
    d0lphin wrote: »
    At the moment I don't like it, but then again I don't like change. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

That said...it took me a while to get used to the last changes made a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I see and try to use it, the more I hate it. It isn't change either, I am fine with change, it's just nor very nice or good.

How on earth am I going to take the piss out of XF in the live thread on an iPhone with this mess? :(
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear Lord! My eyes, MY EYES!!!!! Why is it so BLURRY????!!!!!
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the ipad and it doesn't fit my screen and I can't see the right side of the forum. Too much blank spae between posts and the colour is awful.

I usually fine with changes but this is awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    We need
    a poll.
    Kago version
    above or new
    version or
    old version.

I would vote
    Kargo - clean
    and readable

I agree, a choice between old, new and Kargo would be good.

I'd pick old though, I loathe straining my eyes to try and read what it is I'm typing.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Digital Spy article design

As always, we're extremely grateful for your feedback. You can send your thoughts to us at product@digitalspy.co.uk and we'll endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can.

This is the first step of many. We're thankful for your loyalty and hope that you'll enjoy the changes.
  • Options
    station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see what your trying to do as many have said its very hard on eyes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bottom line is, it is actually harder to use now, and will lose some posters because of this.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this bloke Ballmer phones up DS and says: "Hey guys, have I got a a challenge for you! Bet you can't come up with something even less popular than our Windows 8!".

Ballmer lost the bet.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am off I cant be bothered trying to cope with it now
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost right hand side of page. ( iPad ) colour ok. I would however opt for a darker grey, for contrast against the white.

Me too, really hate it , everything too spaced out and not good for ipad users
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think i will get used to it

its too white :confused:
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Rubbish. The broad grey band means you can read fewer posts without scrolling. I think the posters’ name should be the same blue as the background to the quote and add reply box.

And why the full point after Digital Spy. ?

Designer was probably paid 20 grand for that full stop Ill have you know.... :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Ugh!!!
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,292
    Forum Member
    It's really starting to hurt my eyes now. It's way too bright, especially the bright blue on white when browsing the threads in each forum section.
  • Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    says it all.

eye pain

designed by people who wear sunglasses indoors and never taken a web design course.

Particularly on colours and contrast ..the psychological effect and how to getr the best from your page.

Migraine tablets at the ready.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Its pathetic.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    That blue blackground (perhaps with a blue logo at the top as well, rather than one in a box) would look so much better! What a brilliant design :D

It looks a bit like the Tumblr design, if I'm honest, but that's no bad thing. It's minimalist, it's modern and it even references the hint of blue that the old website had.

Just done that! :)

http://stylebot.me/styles/4235
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    me and the others over at www.Talkgraphics.com do monthly challenges and no doubt they'd hve some fun with the logo and believe me, I've seen what they can do.

At least DS's designersdn't mess about and **** it up completely under the bosses' orders so thatI didn't have to waste time farting about giving all my deatils before having to open up a new acount liek Google did with YOUTUBE.
This discussion has been closed.