Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    abivanabivan Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    It would be nice if everyone could make all their posts in a bold typeface.

You're right, it does help. Perhaps you could help them with the 'tweaks'. By the way they've gone very quiet, have they been hitting the bottle all night to drown their sorrows. I feel sorry for the staff who will lose their jobs when this forum dies on its arse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone found out how to edit the info box (that one over there <---)yet? I want to leave a rude message to DS in mine and can't edit it.

User CP ->Edit Profile ->Additional Information
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    am I the only one who thinks it ok?

Have you used it for more than 20 minutes? Even if you're on the obscure monitor/browser configuration that it was apparently only tested on, you're still going to go blind eventually.

Give it time.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    No, there are a few of you.

But let's just say you're as rare a funny joke at a Jim Davidson show.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Digital Spy breaking news:

Natwest are relieved that their latest computer problems have been put in perspective. A spokesman said "at least we are not the designers of the Digital Spy forum"

Its for comments like this that I wish there was a like button :D
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Hang around people! We have all of today for them to arrogantly ignore us and balls it up even further. (If humanly possible they will!)

Now you wouldn't want to miss that would you?
  • Options
    *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was possible for any of the new features to irritate me more than this pointless banner, which takes up around 25% my screen. Wrong!

The fact that I can only read one post at a time is driving me batshit. It's nonsensical! And it's all so abysmally NON user-friendly, that I'm starting to see the funny side now..........who the HELL dreamt this whole shebang up?!
  • Options
    crinolinecrinoline Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    My issues:

The banner on the top, it's ridiculously huge, like, ridiculous. If you have a higher resolution screen it isn't too bad, but on my laptop which is 1366 x 768 it is literally 20% of the screen. I'm lost as to why it isn't half the size or even less.

I don't have the breadcrumb at the top, I'm using Chrome, I am opening everything in a new tab so I can go back to the tab with the forum front page, otherwise I'm lost.

In general, there is just so much space everywhere that appears to be unused.

I have mild visual impairment and the blue on the grey is doing some kind of weird dance - I can't keep it straight/focused.

Having said all that, I know these things take time to get right, so let's hope the devs listen and take on some of what we say...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    All posts are cut - I can't see the end of the posts. Whoever wrote this code should be sacked, together with whoever is in charge of testing new code.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    User CP ->Edit Profile ->Additional Information
    Thanks, just off to try again.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone found out how to edit the info box (that one over there <---)yet? I want to leave a rude message to DS in mine and can't edit it.

It's done in the same way as it was before. I've got to the edit bit but haven't actually tried to save it.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    there is a lot wrong with this theme.

it should have been beta tested.

the basic colour scheme and layout is fine it just doesn't work very well. and is unusable on android.
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer it the way it was before. I have a basic phone, so it is a nightmare trying to even get on the forums section as I can't do drop-lists!!
    Its also mis-aligned now and too big for my screen - I have to keep reducing the font/screen size!!

Hope these are teething problems DS will sort out!!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member

And this will be the only post the mods see when they read through here!

Ds should thank their lucky stars that this is the biggest and most popular forum otherwise theyd be gone by xmas. I can easily see the long term posters getting pissed off and leaving, meaning all ds will become is a dumping ground for wannabe wums.

Good luck making money from them! Im sure the advertisers will be thrilled.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im starting to feel quite sick, seriously, its a bit like motion sickness.

The glare is hurting my eyes too. So much that i have to log off.

Remember folks, in the mean time, make it bold!"#MIB"
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, probably already posted, but what happened to the icon at the left of the thread title to go to the first new post in the thread? There is still an envelope with an arrow but it's not clickable!

Edit: It's there on the main list in the forum but I was looking at the subscribed threads list, which is where I normally start.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Its for comments like this that I wish there was a like button :D

Watch as that's the single piece of feedback they implement.

I'd rather they'd've taken the forums offline for a few hours than this mess.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    They need to make that white thing at the top a lot narrower. It's much wider that it needs to be. You haven't got much space to see what's going on in the forums.
    Hopefully this is still a work in progress, but yes it's like trying to read a newspaper through the letterbox...
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the foot of a thread there's an obvious button that says Add Reply, and then a little below that there are the words Quick Reply. However, Quick Reply doesn't seem to do anything and doesn't seem to have a box associated with it in which one could type a reply. (I'm using Firefox.)

Does Quick Reply actually let one type a quick reply or does it do nothing? Am I missing something obvious?

And yes, the bland yellow blobs that are the new smilies are far too similar to one another so that it's hard to tell what they mean without squinting at them or pointing a mouse pointer at them. Poor.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there is a lot wrong with this theme.

it should have been beta tested.

the basic colour scheme and layout is fine it just doesn't work very well. and is unusable on android.

It's fine if you class being able to see and snowblindness as minor issues!
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word... AWFUL. I usually don't give a fig what a website looks like, but this is simply dreadful, and I usually use my tablet - which is now a no no for this site. Please change it back DS, and get your money back from whoever designed this refresh!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit, the whiteness of this is now starting to do my head in. I have sensitive eyes as it is.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    My eyes can't cope with this indefinitely, so if they are complacently hoping it will all blow over after a few negative comments they are wrong.

I'm not addicted to Digital Spy, so I don't have to come here. Will check again this afternoon to see if they have hot the message.

Agree with this ... I won't continue on such an awful site indefinitely :devil:

Oh and they really don't want us to use smilies for some reason, do they? I get chucked out of my post every time I do.....

There were other posts I wanted to comment on, but being on an iPad, I can't multi- post (can't see the button)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Hopefully this is still a work in progress, but yes it's like trying to read a newspaper through the letterbox...

This is exactly what it's like.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure i posted this earlier on but it doesn't seem to have appeared .. or i've forgotten .. or it was deleted ..

anyway, as i (think) i said, i'd be interested to know why this change was forced on us now rather than having the somewhat accepted format of "we are changing, click here to see the new look site!".

having the new design running parallel to the old one for a few weeks would have allowed people to try it out and give their feedback at least.

The site could have had, say, January the 1st as the big switchover and it likely would have worked out a lot better than it has now.
This discussion has been closed.