Options

Does GB find it harder to relate to black acts?

Comments

• Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spindiddly wrote: »
    The way Rough Copy behave is why I find it hard to relate to them.

No such problems with Alexandra, Leona or JLS.

In this case it is urban acts you dont relate to.
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    OK
    Winners:
    Leona (half caste)
    Alexandra

Runners-Up
    JLS
    Marcus Collins
    Jahmene Douglas (half-caste)
    Rebecca Ferguson

I think it sums up that GB don't go by race but by talent

2 of JLS are mixed race,so is Marcus and Rebbecca.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sgeandhu wrote: »
    All sorts of influences - the outright blues of Mayall; the bluesy rock of The Animals, Led Zep and Deep Purple; the quirky Brito-rock of the Kinks (who were big fans of Mayall but wanted to put their twist on things).

If you look at the roots of most modern music it will almost certainly be black in origin - even if it has taken on a British flavour.

I wouldn't disagree, that was the point of the original post but I'm prepared to give the UK as the creators of Heavy Metal (it's mainly about who invented the power chord I suppose). Arguably the only music genre that might not be black in origin is Country and Western which probably has its origins in Irish traditional music. Neither genre is ever really explored on X-F though?
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    faith11 wrote: »
    Interesting comments here about lighter skinned black girls doing better in Pop rather than black girls.In modelling it seems to be different as very dark,sleek skinned girls often become megastars rather than the lighter black girls.Naomi Campbell for example was one of the most successful models ever and she is very dark skinned.However,apart from the well known black models,I often wonder what white guys think of black girls if they're easily attracted to them etc.I was a bit taken aback once when a white guy remarked to me that for a black girl I was quite beautiful.I thought uum,does that mean white guys could not generally find black girls attractive except on some occassions.I know this thread is about black acts but just wondering what anyone thought of this.

I heard that at school a lot too. There was a thought process that dark=ugly.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    I heard that at school a lot too. There was a thought process that dark=ugly.

I don't think there's a white guy alive who wouldn't say Keisha Buchanan, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J Blige, Alexandra Burke, Lauryn Hill or Kelly Rowland are all stunning looking women. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    2 of JLS are mixed race,so is Marcus and Rebbecca.

Aren't 3 of JLS mixed race?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Beyonce's skin tone give her the edge over Kelly Rowland? I think so, sadly.

Pity, cause chocolate is gorgeous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a question.

Generally speaking, why does the public like Nicole more than Kelly when they are pretty much a 'rough copy'of each other? *couldn't resist them XF puns ya know ;)*
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The1Kuda wrote: »
    I have a question.

Generally speaking, why does the public like Nicole more than Kelly when they are pretty much a 'rough copy'of each other? *couldn't resist them XF puns ya know ;)*

Was there poll done indicating the public likes Nicole more than Kelly?

Initially, when she was a judge here, Kelly was quite popular with the public and came out tops as most liked out of all the judges in a poll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Aren't 3 of JLS mixed race?

No, only two of them are - Marvin and Aston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there poll done indicating the public likes Nicole more than Kelly?

Initially, when she was a judge here, Kelly was quite popular with the public and came out tops as most liked out of all the judges in a poll.

There hasn't been a poll..not that ive seen anyway and im quite eager to know too but im still relatively new to this, so I don't know how to do polls etc.
    Do you mind creating one please?

And really? I have read some old threads and they all seemed to complain about her being 'too American' and 'too black' in a behavioural kind of sense (paraphrased). But too me, I find both Nicole and Kelly equally attractive and similar (not same) in personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, only two of them are - Marvin and Aston.

I thought JB's mum is white

*Edit* My mistake, I've just googled and seen a picture of his mum. Think I saw him with an older white lady in a picture once and presumed it was his mum
  • Options
    wychwych Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a question.

Nicole isn't black at all. I mean, she isn't even partly black.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wych wrote: »
    Nicole isn't black at all. I mean, she isn't even partly black.

I meant that they're 'a rough copy' of each other in personality, not skin colour.
    However I was proposing the question of people relating more to Nicole due to skin tone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There hasn't been a poll..not that ive seen anyway and im quite eager to know too but im still relatively new to this, so I don't know how to do polls etc.
    Do you mind creating one please?

And really? I have read some old threads and they all seemed to complain about her being 'too American' and 'too black' in a behavioural kind of sense (paraphrased). But too me, I find both Nicole and Kelly equally attractive and similar (not same) in personality.

Yes, when she first started as a judge in the audition stage she seemed to be liked a lot, but afterwards on the live shows her popularity waned.

These phrases (embolden) are offensive. It's only people with ignorance and prejudices who come with such terms. Also, saying she is 'too American', well, she is American so what else do these people expect her to be? As for being 'too black' (what on earth is being too black?!) There is no such thing, it's an utterly racist thing to say. This would never be said of a white judge (being too white). How one behaves is not attributed to their race, but where they come from.

By the way, I've never created a poll on here either.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I don't think there's a white guy alive who wouldn't say Keisha Buchanan, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J Blige, Alexandra Burke, Lauryn Hill or Kelly Rowland are all stunning looking women. Or am I missing something?

Nope. There are haha. I was talking to a friend from school, and he was on about how Tulisa was so fit and Alexandra was so ugly (it was on the Halloween special thing when Tulisa wore the cat suit). I've never heard Lauryn praised for her looks, although she is beautiful!
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    JLS, Leona, Rebecca F and Jahmene were all likeable acts that I voted for.

Alexandra and Tamera came off as arrogant to me and that's why I didn't like them.

Rough Copy are weak vocally and I find their performances overrated
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Beyonce's skin tone give her the edge over Kelly Rowland? I think so, sadly.

Pity, cause chocolate is gorgeous

No... Beyonce's voice, charisma and stage presence give her the edge over Kelly Rowland. Nothing to do with skin tone at all!

No doubt Kelly is gorgeous & so is Beyonce- but Beyonce wins based on her phenomenal talent.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

My fave was Hannah who unfortunately went last week.

(I'm white btw)

MY fave was Hannah too and I'm white, but I did wonder why the GBP didn't get behind her and were so critical of her. I think looks play a massive part in popularity in these contests. When you hear someone sing on the radio you don't know what they look like. I was quite surprised when I first saw Adele for example because she doesn't look like she sounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No... Beyonce's voice, charisma and stage presence give her the edge over Kelly Rowland. Nothing to do with skin tone at all!

No doubt Kelly is gorgeous & so is Beyonce- but Beyonce wins based on her phenomenal talent.

I'm obviously in the minority but I much prefer Kelly to Beyonce. I love Kellys voice and I think her musical output has been superior imo.
    I can see Beyonce is talented but her songs have all been pretty 'meh' to me. Apart from Crazy In Love, I can't think of a single song of hers I haven't thought 'so what' when I've heard it
  • Options
    TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the black viewers are more likely to vote for black singers in fact. Do they ever vote for the white artists? This needs to be asked.
  • Options
    faith11faith11 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the black viewers are more likely to vote for black singers in fact. Do they ever vote for the white artists? This needs to be asked.

Lol I'm dark/lighter skinned female(black if you prefer) and I would vote for who I like or who have the voice I like listening to.However I am one of those people who although might like someone,it doesn't mean I actually vote for them.Here are those I've liked.

Series 1 Steve Brookestein(I liked him but don't think I voted for him)
    Series 2 Journey South (I think I voted for them but probably only because I liked Simon as a judge then and they were his acts but nowadays I don't like or respect Simon as a judge anymore:D
    Series 3 I liked Rhydian and couldn't believe Leon won
    Others I liked but didn't necessarily vote for are Leona,JLS. I liked Ruth a LOT and would have voted for her if she had reached the final but she didn't and though I liked JLS I didn't feel strongly enough for them to vote
    I liked Matt Cardle and screamed with joy when he won although I don't think I voted for him.
    I didn't really watch the series when Little Mix won and this series the only person I could have voted for is Melanie but she didn't make the live finals.
    So in summary,I vote in terms of the voice I enjoy or the person I like regardless of colour:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im a black teenagers. I vote for the act i feel I can actually listen to their music in a year's time I.e after the show.
    I only started watching XF from series 8. Ive only ever voted for 5 people: Little Mix, Misha B, Jahmene, District 3, Rough Copy. Good mix of black and white there I believe :)
  • Options
    Elle94Elle94 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    OK
    Winners:
    Leona (half caste)
    Alexandra

Runners-Up
    JLS
    Marcus Collins
    Jahmene Douglas (half-caste)
    Rebecca Ferguson

I think it sums up that GB don't go by race but by talent

No uses the term half caste anymore.
  • Options
    Elle94Elle94 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmao I knew loads of you would react so aggressively towards me for making this thread instead of actually discussing the issue.

I'm mixed race and I just wanted to know how other people felt. Sheesh, you wouldn't think that DS was a discussion board anymore would you?

Don't take any notice