Options

Nelson Mandela has died

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My husband and I need an argument settling- is Mandela dead? I seem to recall American guests on This Morning mention his death months ago but husband reckons he's still on life support.

It's an exciting night in the Noooway household...

Comments

• Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    My husband and I need an argument settling- is Mandela dead? I seem to recall American guests on This Morning mention his death months ago but husband reckons he's still on life support.

It's an exciting night in the Noooway household...

You have a connection to the Internet. Did you try Google?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    He's still alive, apparently.

There are some tinfoil hatists who think he died months ago and the authorities are just frightened to release the news in case it causes riots in SA but you know what those sorts are like.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he were dead, there would be no end of news stories and documentaries detailing his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I am a bit of a tin foil hattist and think that he died ages ago, I just wondered what fellow DS users made of it. Mr Noooway googled it for me and proved me wrong.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officially he's still alive. Whatever that means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to admit I am a bit of a tin foil hattist and think that he died ages ago, I just wondered what fellow DS users made of it. Mr Noooway googled it for me and proved me wrong.

Kind of vaguely interesting....

Common sense would dictate that we'd know when he dies, for sure, cos his relatives would announce it.
    Thing is, that might not necessarily be the case.
    Seems that there are various factions of the Mandela family who're all battling for the right to take possession of his remains (once he's dead, of course) cos they know what a money-spinner it can be.
    As a result of all this, they might not be as transparent with the information as they could be if they think there might be an opportunity to strengthen their own claim on his remains.

If I was Mandela I'd have it written into my will that my ashes get chucked out of a plane flying over the scrublands or summat, just to put an end to the bullshit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, he is not dead. However, whether that is true or not, depends on your definition of 'alive'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would they really keep him in a vegative state on life support for months on end? It seems a bit cruel.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the proper press seems to think he's probably brain-dead, and has been a long while now. Still breathing, but not "alive" as such.

The only positive pieces of news have come from very fishy family sources.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Most of the proper press seems to think he's probably brain-dead, and has been a long while now. Still breathing, but not "alive" as such.

The only positive pieces of news have come from very fishyy family sources.

Yes, there seems to be strange behaviour surrounding a grave/tomb IIRC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the BBC website yesterday, his daughter says he is alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25214805
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean this. It wasn't Mandela.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23159159
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    You mean this. It wasn't Mandela.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23159159

That's not the point the commenter was making.

It's about the fight over the "official" Mandela family tomb.

It's also customary in SA to never talk of death or dying, especially of such an iconic figure... no-one will ever report he's on the way out.... the first report will be he's dead. Physically dead, not mentally dead, as is now probably the case.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    He's out selling timeshare in Durban.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    That's not the point the commenter was making.

It's about the fight over the "official" Mandela family tomb.

It's also customary in SA to never talk of death or dying, especially of such an iconic figure... no-one will ever report he's on the way out.... the first report will be he's dead. Physically dead, not mentally dead, as is now probably the case.

Was it, how do you know:s
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be A Christmas Day death
  • Options
    Forum Member

I believe that one faction of his family has already bought a plot of land to build a "Mandela theme-park" on and they want his remains to endorse the venture.

Meanwhile, another bunch own his house and they're hoping for the remains so they can turn it into a south-african version of "Graceland".

All very classy. :s
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I believe that one faction of his family has already bought a plot of land to build a "Mandela theme-park" on and they want his remains to endorse the venture.

Meanwhile, another bunch own his house and they're hoping for the remains so they can turn it into a south-african version of "Graceland".

They sound like the SA version of the Jacksons
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Ha ha! I can just see the attractions; instead of a 5-minute roller coaster ride, you can sit in a small room for 25 years.

Re-live all the excitement of apartheid South Africa; assemble your very own souvenir letter bomb, take part in a riot, necklace an informer...
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Ha ha! I can just see the attractions; instead of a 5-minute roller coaster ride, you can sit in a small room for 25 years.

Re-live all the excitement of apartheid South Africa; assemble your very own souvenir letter bomb, take part in a riot, necklace an informer...

All sounds less painful than a day at Alton Towers, TBH.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member

It's not Eastenders.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,213
    Forum Member

Hopefully - that most of us would miss the swathes of TV with members of S Club 7, Big Brother "stars" and other ignoramuses doing endless vox-pops about what a great man he was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Won't someone think of the tv schedule!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember that song, 'Free Nelson Mandela'? They should re-record it, as 'Free Nelson Mandela's hospital bed and life-support machine for some other poor bugger who actually stands a chance of pulling through.'
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    I think he is now. They'll release a statement when ready