Options

why do people eat white bread.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
after working in Germany for 3 years i soon got used to the superb breads the locals bake and eat over there, I got especially fond of the rye bread they sold in the markets and sandwiches in pubs shops etc, coming back i notice most people eat tasteless bleached bland white bread, why is this?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They like it?

Personally, I prefer wholemeal bread.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has its uses. We eat wholemeal and plain brown, and some of those 'Polish Bloomers'. But when it comes to fish figers or chip butties, only white will do.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate rye bread, brown bread and such like. I love the taste of white bread.

Personal choice. Such a simple concept to understand.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like different things. Or maybe they don't particularly like it, but it's what they can afford? Or, maybe white bread doesn't get as mouldy?

I don't like white rice, but others do. I'm not questioning why they like it - although… really, why!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like brown or wholmeal breads. I eat Scottish plain bread.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White over Brown any day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    People like different things.

This answers so much in life. I never understand why some don't get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They like it?

Personally, I prefer wholemeal bread.

They like it because they know no better and have not tasted or been offered anything but white bread, council estates have a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am quite open. I accept all types of bread into my life.

However, when i was younger i used to have the crusts cut off in case i got curly hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will_bun wrote: »
    They like it because they know no better and have not tasted or been offered anything but white bread, council estates have a lot to answer for.

How do you know this?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally prefer wholemeal but white is better for toast and bacon butties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know this?

Because its the truth, sandwiches of kids from council estates are 99% white, kids in private schools eat far more nutritious breads, I think the government should explore this....white bread is actually quite bad for you to boot.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Hunks of brown or seedy bread are great with soup etc but for a plain old sarnie - or better yet, a bacon buttie hold the ketchup - nothing beats white, plastic bread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because its the truth, sandwiches of kids from council estates are 99% white, kids in private schools eat far more nutritious breads, I think the government should explore this....white bread is actually quite bad for you to boot.

Gonna need a citation for this dubious stat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Hunks of brown or seedy bread are great with soup etc but for a plain old sarnie - or better yet, a bacon buttie hold the ketchup - nothing beats white, plastic bread!

I prefer wheaten bread with soup.
  • Options
    giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stotties every time.
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you got research to back up your claims?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    giz a tab wrote: »
    Stotties every time.

There speaks some who knows their bread.

Ham and pease pudding stotties are the thing I miss most about the North East.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QUOTE.
    PLUS ITS BAD FOR YOU.
    I know that there are many people in the UK and around the world enjoy eating white bread. But what I am here to tell you today may really shock and surprise you. White bread is not good for your health. Not only is it not good for your health, it’s a real danger to your health!

White bread is so dangerous that the Swiss government has taken a very important measure to get its population to stop eating this food.
    Switzerland has placed a tax on the purchase of white bread. The tax
    money is given to bakers to reduce the price of whole wheat bread to
    encourage people to switch to something other than white bread. God bless the Swiss because they are doing something really great!
    http://avaha1978.hubpages.com/hub/The-health-risks-of-eating-white-bread
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE.
    PLUS ITS BAD FOR YOU.
    I know that there are many people in the UK and around the world enjoy eating white bread. But what I am here to tell you today may really shock and surprise you. White bread is not good for your health. Not only is it not good for your health, it’s a real danger to your health!

White bread is so dangerous that the Swiss government has taken a very important measure to get its population to stop eating this food.
    encourage people to switch to something other than white bread. God bless the Swiss because they are doing something really great!

I that isn't going to stop me eating white bread
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

No it's not the truth. I never lived in a council estate and I'm actually the only person in my family that eats white bread. And do you know why? Wait, wait big revelation, because i prefer the taste of white bread, i like it so much that i eat even though I know it's bad for me. There is nothing nicer than french baguette.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    I that isn't going to stop me eating white bread

Do you smoke? because thats bad for your health as well.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    QUOTE.
    PLUS ITS BAD FOR YOU.

Wholemeal bread inflames my nickel allergy. It's a health hazard, brown bread. It should be banned.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White over Brown any day

Racist. :p

I mainly go for white as well unless I'm trying for a little more protein in my diet (wholemeal has more).
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't be ridiculous.