Options

Have you planned your Xmas menu?

Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just finalised mine. I will be cooking for 8 this year. The puddings are bought, but the rest is made from scratch. What are you guys having? This is my menu...

Entree

Pan seared scallops with prime black pudding, a sweetcorn and shallot purée, lemon butter, Serrano ham and a poached quails egg.

Starter

Braised quail in a white truffle and porcini mushroom sauce, with morel mushrooms and black truffle shavings

Main

A slow roast herb, mint and garlic infused leg of lamb, roast and stuffed turkey breast wrapped in streaky bacon, goose fat roast potatoes, honey glazed parsnips, pork, sage and onion stuffing balls, pigs in blankets with a selection of vegetables.

Desert

Connoisseur Christmas pudding with brandy butter and cream
Rich fruit marzipan stollen cake
A selection of cheese and crackers

Comments

• Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds gorgeous.

unfortunately mine is not as posh as yours, my starter is actually alcohol :blush:

glass of prosecco, with a wild hibiscus flower and some rhubarb and raspberry syrup placed in each glass.

butter basted turkey crown, sausagemeat sage/onion stuffing, pigs in blankets, creamed mashed potatoes, yorkshire puddings, garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, chantennay carrots roasted in honey and a squeeze of clementine juice, braised red cabbage, cauliflower cheese, honey mustard parsnips, cranberry gravy and bread sauce.

chocolate yule log and baileys pouring cream for dessert.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entree - Ham hock terrine with picallili and melba toast

Starter - Brocolli and Stilton Soup
    Main - Venison Wellington (prepped by butcher) with mash and roast potatoes, sprouts with Pancetta, Chanteray carrots, red cabbage with cranberries, cauliflower cheese with walnuts, honey roast parsnips, peas and sweetcorn, pigs in blankets, stuffing, gravy.
    Dessert - Plum pudding with custard / cream
    Cheeses & pate with crackers

Christmas cake, Mince pies & Fruit

denotes anticipated intervals.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either Sausage and chips and beans or Sausage and mash, depending how I feel on the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some lovely sounding menus.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not finalised but Chine of Beef is part of the main course. If I get some Eel's then they'll go in the home smoker if not I'll do a crab and Lobster platter to start with. I'll be home smoking a Gammon to eat over the festive season and making venison/smoked speck sausages. None of us are great fans of xmas pud so I'll do something like tarte tatin and chantilly cream. Wine, champagne, Armagnac and port of course :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    sounds gorgeous.

unfortunately mine is not as posh as yours, my starter is actually alcohol :blush:

glass of prosecco, with a wild hibiscus flower and some rhubarb and raspberry syrup placed in each glass.

butter basted turkey crown, sausagemeat sage/onion stuffing, pigs in blankets, creamed mashed potatoes, yorkshire puddings, garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, chantennay carrots roasted in honey and a squeeze of clementine juice, braised red cabbage, cauliflower cheese, honey mustard parsnips, cranberry gravy and bread sauce.

chocolate yule log and baileys pouring cream for dessert.

All too posh to be honest. when I had christmas dinner with my family it was more or less like a Sunday roast with turkey and xmas pud.

The most important part was the family being together, we could have done that any time of year, but Christmas was about the only time we all got together.

the only thing I care about this year, like last year is that my Dad have somewhere to go and as far as I know he is going to my brothers place. Myself, I am happy just to do some mash spuds with some sausages. I have been invited to two different friends places for Christmas dinner. One of them I turned down right away, too posh for me and the other I said I will think about it, but i doubt I will bother.
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 course crimbo dinners???????????? what madness is this, everyone I know struggles to get through one course and the xmas pud is often left til easter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are having a M & S stuffed turkey roulade, goose fat roasties, carrots, sprouts, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puddings, gravy and bread sauce
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar to most years:Lobster*with melted butter,*cream, garlic and grated parmesan and scallops/chorizo skewers to start. Roast goose in a honey and lemon marinade stuffed with bacon and potatoes. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, carrots and peas. Tiramisu Cheesecake or hot chocolate brownies with ice cream for desert.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oOh, those menus sound delicious. Pumping Iron - can I get an invite to yours for dinner some time, especially if you're serving scallops?

One year I was in charge of Christmas dinner I decided to feed people what they really liked but wouldn't normally treat themselves to so I had four dozen raw oysters, and my partner and child had 'luxury' sausages and mash.

This year I'm going to my partner's parents for Christmas day, where we'll be having a traditional meal of Turkey roast. There'll be a choice of puddings including proper Christmas pudding, and mince pies. I will just have custard, which I adore.

Boxing day we'll be at my Mother's, where she'll put on a spread of loads and loads of stuff including lamb and American style baked macaroni cheese (which I love so much it's what I've asked her for for my birthday present for the last few years). There'll be some kind of soup, and probably lobster and duck and just a whole load of other yummy stuff that's nothing to do with Christmas, we just like to eat yummy stuff.

The day after Boxing Day we'll be at my Dad's, whose missus is an uber bland 'English' style cooker and eater so we'll have some cold meats with bread and butter early, and then plain chicken with boiled potatoes and unseasoned vegetables to force down with a smile for dinner. We'll be 'allowed' a thimble full of cheap nasty wine, and then either water or cups of insipid tea or decaf instant coffee. Not something I look forward to, but I put on a smile because I love my Dad and don't want to cause an atmosphere or appear rude at all. I expect we'll stop at a shop and pick up something to eat on the way home as we'll all be cold and starving when we leave as they don't put their heating on and we can't have an open fire with my partner in the room as he can't breath in smoky air. (Does this sound as ungrateful as I think it does?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Similar to most years:Lobster*with melted butter,*cream, garlic and grated parmesan and scallops/chorizo skewers to start. Roast goose in a honey and lemon marinade stuffed with bacon and potatoes. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, carrots and peas. Tiramisu Cheesecake or hot chocolate brownies with ice cream for desert.

Another one I'd like to be invited to...
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Quorn roast, roast potatoes, stuffing, yorkshires, peas and carrot, sprouts
    Christmas pudding and cream

Nowhere near as posh as everyone else's it seems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

Rather your menu than my Dad's. Even with the Quorn roast. As long as you roast your potatoes with at least a little of some kind of fat?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    All too posh to be honest. when I had christmas dinner with my family it was more or less like a Sunday roast with turkey and xmas pud.

The most important part was the family being together, we could have done that any time of year, but Christmas was about the only time we all got together.

the only thing I care about this year, like last year is that my Dad have somewhere to go and as far as I know he is going to my brothers place. Myself, I am happy just to do some mash spuds with some sausages. I have been invited to two different friends places for Christmas dinner. One of them I turned down right away, too posh for me and the other I said I will think about it, but i doubt I will bother.

Well, in my opinion, it suppose to be posh at Christmas. People eat sausages, mash or broccoli everyday. The Christmas lunch has to be festive and as you say posh, because it's Christmas, and what's better way of bringing the family together than eating some great festive food together at lunch or dinner.
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

why, noise? don't you fancy being with others on christmas day rather than being on your own?

i do like all the extra trimmings, chesntuts in my stuffing, goose fat for my roast potatoes etc.. after all it's a very special day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Not finalised but Chine of Beef is part of the main course. If I get some Eel's then they'll go in the home smoker if not I'll do a crab and Lobster platter to start with. I'll be home smoking a Gammon to eat over the festive season and making venison/smoked speck sausages. None of us are great fans of xmas pud so I'll do something like tarte tatin and chantilly cream. Wine, champagne, Armagnac and port of course :)

Sounds really good! Once you've finalised, make sure you pop back :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Well, in my opinion, it suppose to be posh at Christmas. People eat sausages, mash or broccoli everyday. The Christmas lunch has to be festive and as you say posh, because it's Christmas, and what's better way of bringing the family together than eating some great festive food together at lunch or dinner.

I agree, Xmas dinner is usually one of the most lavish meals I prepare each year. Nothing wrong in treating your loved one's to some top quality nosh! My in-laws especially love my cooking and can't wait to come.
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

ok so I see the acompanyments, what meat are you having with it? turkey? goose? beef?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Wow, all of the menus sound amazing, making myself hungry reading this!

I'm cooking for 5/6 this year (assuming my new oven arrives!). The plan is:

Entree and starter:
    Buffet: various salads, meats, cheeses and sandwich fillers and various delivery mechanisms (eg. crackers, voluvent cases, melba toasts etc). Also doing slow-cooked lamb ribs and a ham.

Main Meal
    Turkey crown, Slow-cooked Beef, Stuffing sausages (I've not tried this before, but plan to make stuffing balls in sausage shape and wrap with bacon), Sprouts (stir-fried with chopped cashews), Roast Tatties, Spicy Roast parsnip and turnip cubes, garlic green beans, cranberry sauce, red onion marmalade and enough gravy to float a battleship!

Dessert:
    Strawberry roulade (with baileys cream filling)
    Black forest trifle
    Crimbo Cake!
    And cream/ice cream for thems that want it

So how far has anyone got on prep yet? My cake is made, but needs to be iced and I'm planning to do the roulade and trifle sponge this weekend. Dunno where I'm going to find the time for all that plus shopping and trying to make various rooms in the house livable! Oh aye and find a table and chairs, arg and decorate!!

What have I got myself into....
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    4 course crimbo dinners???????????? what madness is this, everyone I know struggles to get through one course and the xmas pud is often left til easter

We have about four courses. Lunch lasts for hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have about four courses. Lunch lasts for hours.

We are probably at the table from around 4pm til around 8pm unless people opt for pudd, cheese and port in front of the telly. After the main course everyone can do what is most comfortable for them.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steak pudding and chips !

because of high cholesterol, blood pressure etc I don't eat chips all year round so I have chips meals for 4 days over Christmas.......I get a £1 bag of Sainsbury French fries style chips which makes 4 huge platefuls.....

My favourite thing to have with chips is steak pudding and Ive already got 4 Fray Bentos Steak Puddings in the cupboard....

I'm all set !

probably have my normal starter which is an orange or grapefruit

normally have an apple for pudding but might get some fancy cake in and cream
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuffing shaped as sausages wrapped in bacon sounds great. I might ask mym mum to make these.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »

Who said it is suppose to be posh? it was never posh when I was younger, as i said it was just a normal roast dinner but with Turkey instead if you like turkey.

The point of the Christmas dinner was to have the whole family there.

JOHNOR wrote: »
    why, noise? don't you fancy being with others on christmas day rather than being on your own?

i do like all the extra trimmings, chesntuts in my stuffing, goose fat for my roast potatoes etc.. after all it's a very special day.

Just another day to be honest, I do not see the point in going mad, spending money for just one day. It is different if you got kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    steak pudding and chips !

because of high cholesterol, blood pressure etc I don't eat chips all year round so I have chips meals for 4 days over Christmas.......I get a £1 bag of Sainsbury French fries style chips which makes 4 huge platefuls.....

My favourite thing to have with chips is steak pudding and Ive already got 4 Fray Bentos Steak Puddings in the cupboard....

I'm all set !

probably have my normal starter which is an orange or grapefruit

normally have an apple for pudding but might get some fancy cake in and cream

Get a philips Air Fryer, a bit expensive, but once you got the hang of it you can make some nice chips with just a spoonful of oil.