Options

The British media ought to be ashamed of itself tonight

Comments

• Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well the BBC has finally mentioned the storm, but is only showing old footage.

Sky News has gone for it's first commercial break since the mandela news broke.
  • Options
    PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    To be fair both Sky News and CNN are doing saturation coverage (I don't have Fox so maybe they mentioned that some black foreign dude died after the college football results). However, I do get the sense that in the Guardian-reading Islington-living newsrooms of the BBC this is an event they have been planning for years and it would have wiped anything short of a royal death off the headlines.

I imagine everytime someone famous dies they can run all that prepared stuff and have a day off.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Wikipedia he won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1978, has an Olympic gold medal in judo and was once married to Joan Collins.

I thought that was Kim Il Sung???
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you've already been offensive to me by assuming I'm " young and ignorant"...

We were all young and ignorant once. Being called a troll is a different matter.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    well the BBC has finally mentioned the storm, but is only showing old footage.

Sky News has gone for it's first commercial break since the mandela news broke.

About time.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair both Sky News and CNN are doing saturation coverage (I don't have Fox so maybe they mentioned that some black foreign dude died after the college football results). However, I do get the sense that in the Guardian-reading Islington-living newsrooms of the BBC this is an event they have been planning for years and it would have wiped anything short of a royal death off the headlines.

Sadly I fear you may be right.
    Sky News is a law unto itself and CNN is there to give a more global view of things, but the BBC has a public service remit - this is a story in Britain affecting British people NOW. If they can't even at least provide snippets of information on the Tidal surge across the ticker, then one has to ask - what is the BBC News Channel for?

Tonight it has failed the very people it is supposed to serve.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Mandela was so much more important than them, or any of the other public figures who got tremendous attention. I appreciate he was an old man, and his death is not a surprise, but his impact during life was massive. He's the most important global figure in my life-time, and probably in my parents' lifetime too.

People have been getting flood warnings all day, and the advice is always to tune into local radio for the best, most relevant information.
    Well you've already been offensive to me by assuming I'm " young and ignorant"...

Except it's not offensive to be either. Unless you look down on such people yourself. Then that would make you offensive. Wouldn't it?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And weather now. That'll be about eight minutes in total away from Mandela then...
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    As I said in one of the other thread

I do live in one of the effected areas and TBH news coverage doesn't really matter

We have not had the evacuation notice yet yet someone who lives about 5 mins away from us have so we are ready just in case (Luckily my brother is in respite this week )

Like others have said those of us in effected areas either know what is going off or are to busy sorting it out to watch the news anyway

Only thing we now have to worry about is a power cut and if that happens I hardly need to watch the news to tell me about it

I think the news of Nelson Mandela's death is more important
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do live in one of the effected areas and TBH news coverage doesn't really matter

We have not had the evacuation notice yet yet someone who lives about 5 mins away from us have so we are ready just in case (Luckily my brother is in respite this week )

Like others have said those of us in effected areas either know what is going off or are to busy sorting it out to watch the news anyway

Only thing we now have to worry about is a power cut and if that happens I hardly need to watch the news to tell me about it

I hope you're not too badly affected, James Frederick. Stay safe!
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

James, i hope you aren't effected, but i'd like to point out people have relatives and friends in the effected areas who they are unable to contact but they are able to monitor what's going on via news coverage.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    You think that gives you the right to be offensive to someone on this forum?

I find it offensive to tell people sitting in the path of the biggest storm surge since 1953 to go and look at weather websites offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I find it offensive to tell people sitting in the path of the biggest storm surge since 1953 to go and look at weather websites offensive.

I doubt that they are here. You're being offended on behalf of someone who isn't even here, do you realise?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

nowt wrong with Islington - I live there!
    and I dont read the guardian...
  • Options
    Kayyy92Kayyy92 Posts: 105
    Forum Member

But in the time that people have sat here complaining about the TV they could have found out their weather updates and thus wouldn't have a reason to complain..
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    I hope at least UK radio stations are giving out some information for those who live in or near evacuation areas.

Shameful behaviour from the "British" Broadcasting Corporation.

They are. Someone has already said they've been doing so, and I've said several times now that it's official policy for the important information to be broadcast on local radio. The national BBC news bulletin just did a national summary, and advised people to tune into local radio for the most detailed local news.

The widespread and variable nature of these storms means that national news coverage is not helpful anyway. What is relevant for people in Essex is not relevant for people in Scotland.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I doubt that they are here. You're being offended on behalf of someone who isn't even here, do you realise?

I am here cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am here cheers.

Are you in danger and looking for information you can't find?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    James, i hope you aren't effected, but i'd like to point out people have relatives and friends in the effected areas who they are unable to contact but they are able to monitor what's going on via news coverage.
    I think that could worry them even more we know have the media love to give random death tolls out so saying X amount of people have died and not been able to get in contact would worry them more

Do you really think we and others would be watching the news for updates we are here we know what is going off
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness to BBC NI (and UTV) while the local news led with Mandela they also had weather coverage (and a murder trial verdict coverage as well).

It is a bit of overkill on 3 channels though but Diana was much worse, they didn't stop QVC for Mandela.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that Helicopter crash in scotland and then film star died in a car crash
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing that people entirely unaffected are arguing with someone who is slap bang in the middle of the situation.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope at least UK radio stations are giving out some information for those who live in or near evacuation areas.

Err.. and how many of those local radio stations are run by the BBC? That's them doing what they are meant to. Most of the supposedly local independent stations just run national playlists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing that people entirely unaffected are arguing with someone who is slap bang in the middle of the situation.

Who would be arguing on here if they're slap bang in the middle of the situation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member

In your anger, don't forget Sky and ITV news.