Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yay! Fixed!

Thank you DS.

(Still not crazy about the emoticons, but I guess you can't have everything)

Anybody notice that this new refresh looks a lot like IOS 7? I noticed that The Weather Channel just recently changed the look of their local forecast (local on the 8s) and it also looks a lot like IOS 7. (That's the new Apple system for iPads and iPhones)

Yes, that was my take, too - having just gone through the forced change to IOS 7. But IOS 7 was/is less intuitive, the type is smaller and lighter and therefore harder to read in all lighting conditions - and the navigation was often unknowable. An Apple tech support person said to me privately they did not field test it the way they usually do, but rolled it out quickly with a desire to emulate the Android look.

BTW, the type is still too small for DS on my phone - and this entry box (not what is eventually shown in the forum thread) and therefore the type is too small even on my laptop.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we know how this one worked out--no, we don't at all!! Anyhow, thought you might enjoy looking back at the thoughts on it......

New Park--Louisa is the one to propose this time, or, DM proposes again.
    I think it will be Louisa, but don't they need a day or two to get a special license? ino, not on the spur of the moment. 778

SusieSagitarius--James Henry is being christened in the church and Louisa asks the Doc to get married right then and there since the vicar is already there. 764

larablair--I had Louisa asking the Doc to marry her too! 777

Biffpup--My prediction: I have a Magic 8-Ball here. I don't think we'll actually see a proposal this time. I think based on what was said at the castle in S5 E8 we'll just go with the assumption of a proposal. The description Johnny Bamford gave us of Doc's taxi driving through Altarnun (which we're to see as part of Portwenn) toward the church will be the opening scene. No explanation. He just goes to the church and they get married.
    And here I get off-track (this isn't a prediction at all). They darn well better show us at least some of the ceremony! It feels like the fans are almost a part of the relationship and we do not need to be excluded from our own wedding!
    That made absolutely NO sense. But I bet most of you understand what I'm getting at.

BodminDM-- I also think it'll be Louisa. First, I am not sure the Doc has the confidence again to ask. Second, they do like to reverse situations in the show. 1121

largenincharge --My prediction is that they will skip the proposal this time and go straight to the wedding, but maybe they won't skip the honeymoon. Hey, a girl's gotta dream 1387

**Greta**--I don't think we will get a proposal is time. It will goe straight to wedding, if in fact it is the wedding which looks very much like given CC dress.

Ding, ding, ding!!! Three winners: Biffpup, largenincharge, and Greta.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local pbs station from Long Island WLIW21 had the special on last night - Doc Martin: Revealed. It is being used in conjunction with their pledge drive. It runs one and one-half hours but if you take out the half hour when they actually pitch to you to contribute, that leaves an hour dvd. (For the dvd they want a $60 pledge.) It is a combination of interviews done at the end of S5 which was on the DM S5 blogspot but I believe since removed (they are on the S5 dvd). Also, there are some S6 interviews on it which I have seen here. In addition, there are more done by the cast: Morwenna, Bert & Al, Penhale, Margaret and of course, DM & Louisa. There are a few done by the crew. No scenes from S6 are shown except the scene between Morwenna & Al at the Large Restaurant, and even then only fleeting. At last, there are quite a few done by CC, but she doesn't exactly go into how much she has changed the Louisa character from S1. Mark Crowdy and MC do bring that up about DM. PB does a few spots about the series also. Since they have been doing this for over 10 years, it becomes obvious to the viewer that a closeness of family-like has occurred between the people involved, both in front of the camera and behind it as so many return series after series. Surprisingly, Mrs. T and Aunt Ruth were not interviewed for the S6 part. They showed quite a few clips from S1 through S5. What I took away from this program is that BP realizes that the Americans have really embraced this type of series and understand what the writers are trying to put across to us the viewers, and they want to bring more people into its fan base.
    On Monday, I received S6 two dvd set from Acorn which I pre-ordered in September. They have about 30 minutes of interviews at the end of each of the dvds.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, here is what I have been thinking.

About Louisa. I am talking from a "team Louisa" point of view. It has been very difficult to have sympathy for her over the past few series, especially 5 & 6. In 4 she was pregnant and semi-homeless so she gets a pass for that series. But in the other two, she has had very few redeeming qualities that say "I am a special person". We can all point out moments where she sort of saved the day, but there is no thru-line that shows a special talent that allows her to shine and be the heroine for a moment. Mostly we see her mistakes and shortcomings, but rarely do we see her strengths and assets pointed out in an obvious way like the Doc's. He is a grumpy SOB but he redeems himself because he is a brilliant doctor. That makes the viewer have sympathy for him.

I think that next season they need to have Louisa save the day in public, in front of the Doc. It should be something that only she, in that moment, has the special talent to save the day and be the hero. I am not talking giving lines to Martin so he can talk Mrs T down from the castle. I mean a big problem or serious situation that only she can solve. Something where Martin has to let her take the lead in order to rectify the crisis.

It will be a real shame if they have these two break up because Louisa can't stop complaining about him or trying to change him or whatever. We need something that shows she is more than just a pretty face who complains and runs when she doesn't get her way. The writers have to stop assuming that the audience is going to have sympathy for her just because the Doc is a difficult person. The audience needs to see a positive and heroic side of her.

Aunt Ruth has a special quality as a psychiatrist. Morwenna has saved 2 people's lives. Mrs T has saved the day a few times as a pharmacist. Penhale has pulled through in a pinch.

But Louisa, as one of the main characters, needs to have a special quality that we see on a regular basis. Since the next series is the last, she needs to have a big moment early in the season so that the audience can see that she is indispensable to the Doc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Okay, here is what I have been thinking.

About Louisa. I am talking from a "team Louisa" point of view. It has been very difficult to have sympathy for her over the past few series, especially 5 & 6. In 4 she was pregnant and semi-homeless so she gets a pass for that series. But in the other two, she has had very few redeeming qualities that say "I am a special person". We can all point out moments where she sort of saved the day, but there is no thru-line that shows a special talent that allows her to shine and be the heroine for a moment. Mostly we see her mistakes and shortcomings, but rarely do we see her strengths and assets pointed out in an obvious way like the Doc's. He is a grumpy SOB but he redeems himself because he is a brilliant doctor. That makes the viewer have sympathy for him.

I think that next season they need to have Louisa save the day in public, in front of the Doc. It should be something that only she, in that moment, has the special talent to save the day and be the hero. I am not talking giving lines to Martin so he can talk Mrs T down from the castle. I mean a big problem or serious situation that only she can solve. Something where Martin has to let her take the lead in order to rectify the crisis.

It will be a real shame if they have these two break up because Louisa can't stop complaining about him or trying to change him or whatever. We need something that shows she is more than just a pretty face who complains and runs when she doesn't get her way. The writers have to stop assuming that the audience is going to have sympathy for her just because the Doc is a difficult person. The audience needs to see a positive and heroic side of her.

Aunt Ruth has a special quality as a psychiatrist. Morwenna has saved 2 people's lives. Mrs T has saved the day a few times as a pharmacist. Penhale has pulled through in a pinch.

But Louisa, as one of the main characters, needs to have a special quality that we see on a regular basis. Since the next series is the last, she needs to have a big moment early in the season so that the audience can see that she is indispensable to the Doc.

I agree. Louisa has shown she does have a strong side though. There are times in the past when she has had to stand up for herself or for someone else, but it's never been anything major. It would be nice if they wrapped the entire show up with a one hour movie after the final episode, kind of like they did with that extra movie between series 2 and 3.

I've never really seen her as someone in need of sympathy. She has her own personal shortcomings and tough breaks in life. Both she and Martin are independent personalities each with a dreadful past and they've been thrown together in love and life and neither can figure out how to live as a married couple with a family.

Are we absolutely sure S7 will be the last? I know some people want it to be the end, but what if S7 is better than ever and begs for continuance? Just throwing it out there. While I'd like to see it continue beyond S7, it has to be extremely engaging otherwise I'll retract all of the positive comments I've even said about S6 (and S7) and wish that it had ended at the castle.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    I agree. Louisa has shown she does have a strong side though. There are times in the past when she has had to stand up for herself or for someone else, but it's never been anything major. It would be nice if they wrapped the entire show up with a one hour movie after the final episode, kind of like they did with that extra movie between series 2 and 3.

I've never really seen her as someone in need of sympathy. She has her own personal shortcomings and tough breaks in life. Both she and Martin are independent personalities each with a dreadful past and they've been thrown together in love and life and neither can figure out how to live as a married couple with a family.

Are we absolutely sure S7 will be the last? I know some people want it to be the end, but what if S7 is better than ever and begs for continuance? Just throwing it out there. While I'd like to see it continue beyond S7, it has to be extremely engaging otherwise I'll retract all of the positive comments I've even said about S6 (and S7) and wish that it had ended at the castle.

I think I had been expecting that she had a better sense than he did about how to be a couple, but I think you're right -- she's almost equally clueless.

I just don't think it will go on after S7. They will have more than exhausted all the "will they - won't they" variants that are even remotely plausible, and that's the show's engine. Plus, they aare aging now faster than the story line and it will only be more pronounced 4 years from now (when the hypothetical S8 would air).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think I had been expecting that she had a better sense than he did about how to be a couple, but I think you're right -- she's almost equally clueless.

I just don't think it will go on after S7. They will have more than exhausted all the "will they - won't they" variants that are even remotely plausible, and that's the show's engine. Plus, they aare aging now faster than the story line and it will only be more pronounced 4 years from now (when the hypothetical S8 would air).

It seemed as if in S6 Louisa had very pronounced personality shifts...sometimes she would get angry and frustrated at something that had happened or that was said, and at other times she was meek and insecure by what was said or done.

If there is a S8, it wouldn't have to be the "will they, won't they" scenario. How about some adventure or intrigue that has nothing to do with the push/pull in THEIR relationship? What about the will they/won't they be able to solve a problem or help someone? While that may only work for a bit, it at least extends the life of the show just a little longer. And indeed, you are right--CC and MC are not getting younger and like I've said before, there was a more notable difference this series from S5, especially CC. I think MC looked worse because of his illness AND because I think they wanted him to look worse for wear to go along with his downfall.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am pretty much absolutely sure that series 7 will be the last.

I suppose I should have said empathy. I meant that it is hard to feel positive about her when she is being so difficult. We have seen her cope with a few difficult situations but we have seen her cope badly more often. I notice that a lot of people on here and on Facebook have trouble with the character and the way she treats the doc. When a character as large as she is in the show viewers would have fewer problems with her negative or less attractive qualities if there were something that she could do well. It would also be nice to see her save the day sometime and give her the opportunity to show a stronger and nobler side. We know she must have these qualities but we aren't shown it very often. Over the past couple of years people have felt that she was ungrateful for the Doc's help, she runs away when things get tough, she is short and shrewish with the Doc, she doesn't manage her job at the school well, she didn't plan for child care and let her awful mother to look after the baby. I just wonder if they could sometime show us something she does well and show us why the Doc needs her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I am pretty much absolutely sure that series 7 will be the last.

I suppose I should have said empathy. I meant that it is hard to feel positive about her when she is being so difficult. We have seen her cope with a few difficult situations but we have seen her cope badly more often. I notice that a lot of people on here and on Facebook have trouble with the character and the way she treats the doc. When a character as large as she is in the show viewers would have fewer problems with her negative or less attractive qualities if there were something that she could do well. It would also be nice to see her save the day sometime and give her the opportunity to show a stronger and nobler side. We know she must have these qualities but we aren't shown it very often. Over the past couple of years people have felt that she was ungrateful for the Doc's help, she runs away when things get tough, she is short and shrewish with the Doc, she doesn't manage her job at the school well, she didn't plan for child care and let her awful mother to look after the baby. I just wonder if they could sometime show us something she does well and show us why the Doc needs her.

I do think Louisa will have to make some changes herself if their marriage is to get on a better footing. After the way she was portrayed in S6, people who hadn't followed the series before could be excused for wondering what on earth DM was doing with her, and in fact, given the minimal level of communication and affection between them after E1, what they were doing with each other. And personally, I have a hard time getting past that she bailed on him, when he was in obvious difficulties, and the fact that he then saved her life made no difference to her view of their situation. (Not that he did it for that reason, I know.)

I wonder whether they will show Louisa changing, and if so, how. I hope that she begins to show some sense of responsibility for the mess that they're in -- something more to the point than wondering if the problem is that he doesn't love her anymore. Someone will give her a talking-to -- because AR is predictable, I don't think they will go that route. Bert? Elinor? Morwenna?

But like DCMCFAN, I do think she has many admirable qualities, and her characterization is certainly redeemable. It would be good to see some of these play out in S7 (actually, she was pretty heroic in E1, helping DM deal with the nicked artery). I'm intrigued with the idea that she might do something that helps DM in some crucial way.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Louisa will have to make some changes herself if their marriage is to get on a better footing. After the way she was portrayed in S6, people who hadn't followed the series before could be excused for wondering what on earth DM was doing with her, and in fact, given the minimal level of communication and affection between them after E1, what they were doing with each other. And personally, I have a hard time getting past that she bailed on him, when he was in obvious difficulties, and the fact that he then saved her life made no difference to her view of their situation. (Not that he did it for that reason, I know.)

I wonder whether they will show Louisa changing, and if so, how. I hope that she begins to show some sense of responsibility for the mess that they're in -- something more to the point than wondering if the problem is that he doesn't love her anymore. Someone will give her a talking-to -- because AR is predictable, I don't think they will go that route. Bert? Elinor? Morwenna?

But like DCMCFAN, I do think she has many admirable qualities, and her characterization is certainly redeemable. It would be good to see some of these play out in S7 (actually, she was pretty heroic in E1, helping DM deal with the nicked artery). I'm intrigued with the idea that she might do something that helps DM in some crucial way.

Taking off his tie, jacket and shirt and seducing him would be a good start.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    No, it would be a dream sequence.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think she needs to own up to her own insecurities much in the same manor that the Doc has admitted his blood phobia returned. They both need to reiterate to each other that it isn't the other who is causing these things to surface. Obviously a long talk or long talks would go a long way toward getting to a resolution with things. It will be interesting who in Louisa's life will be the one to point things out to her, much like what Ruth did for Martin.

I've always thought the emergencies that have thrown them together have helped break some ice between these two. Peter Cronk, Danny, Holly, and the old guy in S6E1. Every time something happens and he needs to rely on her help to do the job, she's there for him. It's magical. Now all they need to do is translate that sort of heroism into something that rescues themselves and the "emergency" they are in with their relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Taking off his tie, jacket and shirt and seducing him would be a good start.

Only in our dreams (or a dream sequence)! >:)

OR fanfic...
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I've always thought the emergencies that have thrown them together have helped break some ice between these two. Peter Cronk, Danny, Holly, and the old guy in S6E1. Every time something happens and he needs to rely on her help to do the job, she's there for him. It's magical. Now all they need to do is translate that sort of heroism into something that rescues themselves and the "emergency" they are in with their relationship.

Well put!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I almost think part of our problem w/DM is that we want loving nature of the character MC played in W&M. We can count the times that we've wanted M to show his love to L in the same way he did in W&M. I guess there were times during S6 that it could have happened but didn't...and maybe that's a good thing because it wouldn't be as intriguing a show if all they did was cuddle and snog--even if he was to behave that way despite the blood phobia issues. AND, we wouldn't have anything to potentially look forward to. I still think DM is a much richer show than W&M. W&M was good, but not as good as DM. IMHO.

Respectfully disagree, on my own behalf at least. What I want to see is the nature of the character MC played in DM S3! I miss the flirty exchanges, the humorous misunderstandings, the lighthearted character of the show.

That brings me to a point that has been on my mind for a while. There has been some mention in the past of people leaving the forum because they dislike all the parsing and analyzing that has been going on for the past year or so, and they want to return to "lighthearted" exchanges on the forum. I just want to point out that the nature of the forum has changed because the nature of the show has changed. It is no longer a "lighthearted" show. It has become a heavy drama, dripping with symbolism, and as someone else pointed out recently, the main characters do a lot more showing than telling (which is really the crux of their problems!), so that is what provides the fodder for our discussions here. In sum, it's not our fault, it's BP's!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Respectfully disagree, on my own behalf at least. What I want to see is the nature of the character MC played in DM S3! I miss the flirty exchanges, the humorous misunderstandings, the lighthearted character of the show.

That brings me to a point that has been on my mind for a while. There has been some mention in the past of people leaving the forum because they dislike all the parsing and analyzing that has been going on for the past year or so, and they want to return to "lighthearted" exchanges on the forum. I just want to point out that the nature of the forum has changed because the nature of the show has changed. It is no longer a "lighthearted" show. It has become a heavy drama, dripping with symbolism, and as someone else pointed out recently, the main characters do a lot more showing than telling (which is really the crux of their problems!), so that is what provides the fodder for our discussions here. In sum, it's not our fault, it's BP's!

No, I just threw that out there after re-watching some of W&M and would agree that S3 is the personality that shows DM in the light we would all like to see him in not necessarily W&M. I personally can't stand Julie Graham so I didn't care for the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I like the discussions here no matter what--good, bad, otherwise. I see them all as both serious sometimes and lighthearted sometimes. We've all become armchair psychoanalysts thanks to BP!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just read this morning a little blurb in the Sunday NY Times Magazine by screenwriter Andrew Bujalski, whose stuff I have never heard of, but anyway, he said this: the trick to writing believable dialogue is to "Write out the scene the way you hear it in your head. Then read it and find the parts where the characters are saying exactly what you want/need them to say for the sake of narrative clarity (e.g., I've secretly loved you all along, but I've been too afraid to tell you.") Cut that part out. See what's left. You're probably close."

Of course, following that prescription, we wouldn't have had the wonderful pre-op scene, so exactly what I've wanted him to say to Louisa -- but maybe that doesn't count since presumably she doesn't remember it anyway. But otherwise, sounds like the DM writers are following that advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just read this morning a little blurb in the Sunday NY Times Magazine by screenwriter Andrew Bujalski, whose stuff I have never heard of, but anyway, he said this: the trick to writing believable dialogue is to "Write out the scene the way you hear it in your head. Then read it and find the parts where the characters are saying exactly what you want/need them to say for the sake of narrative clarity (e.g., I've secretly loved you all along, but I've been too afraid to tell you.") Cut that part out. See what's left. You're probably close."

Of course, following that prescription, we wouldn't have had the wonderful pre-op scene, so exactly what I've wanted him to say to Louisa -- but maybe that doesn't count since presumably she doesn't remember it anyway. But otherwise, sounds like the DM writers are following that advice.

Good writing paired with outstanding acting and all the other important production aspects separate the men from the boys!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said, and on the same subject, it has not always necessarily ever been a "light- hearted" fluffy story. It has always been a story of people and personalities and good sides and bad sides and heroic behavior and awful behavior. That's what I find fascinating about it. BP has packaged it up in this beautiful Cornish background with all the sweet cottages, populated it with regular looking attractive and unattractive people and shot it on film, which lends it a soft luxurious look at least to me.

Those folks who were lucky enough to watch for the first 2 series where at a disadvantage because the characters and the story were not developed...couldn't be because it was the beginning of the "story". In fact, I don't know what they discussed....."Wasn't that funny when the cow stood in front of Doc's car?"....."Yeah...ha,ha,ha"? But the thing has grown into a huge algorithm...incredibly complex story with symbolism and themes as Zarwen mentioned. It's just boxed in a cookie tin. I absolutely love it. And I love that you can do retrograde analyses...much of what happened in the early series has been absolutely necessary to see them now in their actual light. But you couldn't see it then. It's naturally more complex. Very intelligent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    The show has evolved to match what I think Martin Clunes sees as the trajectory of his career and this is fine by me. He morphed from a comedic actor in "Men Behaving Badly," to a semi-comedic "William & Mary," and continued that into the first 3 series of Dco Martin, but with less comedy and more drama. As he aged into the age of gravitas, he took the Doc Martin character into a more dramatic realm. I think Series 5 was a bit of a fail, but he rallied in Series 6 and made the show more dramatic with only slight amounts of comedy coming from the supporting cast. I like the new direction of the show, but I also liked the "old" Doc Martin. Again, credit to Clunes et al. for transforming his career via Doc Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    The show has evolved to match what I think Martin Clunes sees as the trajectory of his career and this is fine by me. He morphed from a comedic actor in "Men Behaving Badly," to a semi-comedic "William & Mary," and continued that into the first 3 series of Dco Martin, but with less comedy and more drama. As he aged into the age of gravitas, he took the Doc Martin character into a more dramatic realm. I think Series 5 was a bit of a fail, but he rallied in Series 6 and made the show more dramatic with only slight amounts of comedy coming from the supporting cast. I like the new direction of the show, but I also liked the "old" Doc Martin. Again, credit to Clunes et al. for transforming his career via Doc Martin.

I wonder how he and Philippa will feel when they declare it all over, which I believe will be S7? It will be like telling a loved one goodbye forever. Makes me emotional just thinking about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I wonder how he and Philippa will feel when they declare it all over, which I believe will be S7? It will be like telling a loved one goodbye forever. Makes me emotional just thinking about it.

Perhaps it will be time for something new? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I just threw that out there after re-watching some of W&M and would agree that S3 is the personality that shows DM in the light we would all like to see him in not necessarily W&M. I personally can't stand Julie Graham so I didn't care for the show.

Not a big fan of hers either, but it's because she always plays such obnoxious characters (IMHO). :)
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Totally off topic but did anyone watch The Sound of Music tonight? It was hideous. I could only take 10 minutes
This discussion has been closed.