Options

Did joey seriously just say the first world war ended in 1979?

Comments

• Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,660
    Forum Member
    Well, he said it, yes. Whether we believe he really thought it was true is another question entirely.
  • Options
    jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL.

Actually I think some times us oldies are to blame as we assume the "kids" will learn this obvious important facts.

Ashamed to admit is as i am, a few years ago we were living in Germany as my husband was in the the British Army ( and remember why we were posted there to start with ) and my daughter, then @ 13 honestly thought Germany won WWII and their "reward" if you like was have the British Army work there.

Hubby wanted to have her adopted, I wanted a DNA test.
  • Options
    annie.90annie.90 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    He has got to be putting on the thicko act. it impossible to be that dumb !!!
    I'm a month younger than Joey and I went to school in Ireland.We didn't do much about the world wars in history but even i know that WW1 was 1914-1918
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't any of you watched TOWIE- im telling you that most of them wouldn't know when the war ended -Joey was not putting on an act then- he only knows what he needs hes said this before and i believe it!
    nice but dim comes to mind :D
  • Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    i saw a comment earlier on another forum from one of his old class mates that said he could tell the time and wasnt that thick in school-but that wouldnt have made him famous, would it?;-)
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Drumrue wrote: »
    To be honest, anything that happened before 1990 is probably not on his radar

I don't think his radar is switched on......
  • Options
    kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eleven year old not yet at secondary school could tell me tonight when the first world war ended. How can anyone believe Joey doesn't know what the word 'divide' means or that a stick insect could be made of wood or that the first world war ended a decade before he was born? This is a guy who has done well for himself in business and in the media. He is definitely not uneducated and he definitely knows what he is doing. Being thick is the in thing apparently.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he took a breath after saying "19...." I thought he was going to get it right or say 1945.

I mean c'mon, if it was 1979 then why wasn't his dad fighting in it? What a complete numpty. I think that "Joey" should be a level below "Homer Simpson" on that scale in The Simpsons. :D
  • Options
    kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rolergirl wrote: »
    i saw a comment earlier on another forum from one of his old class mates that said he could tell the time and wasnt that thick in school-but that wouldnt have made him famous, would it?;-)

I saw that too. He grew up with him but only began playing the thick card for the towie programme
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I don't think his radar is switched on......

You should ask him if his radar is switched on, and wait for the confused look on his face :o
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    To be honest, I thought it was very early 1919 for quite a long time. I feel awful. I am pretty sure I wrote it on my History GCSE paper. How I managed to get a B is shocking.

History was not my favourite topic, but I do know quite a lot, so shocked myself when I thought it was early 1919 (and only a couple of years ago when I looked it up).
    To be fair, the "official" ending of WW1 was the signing of the Treaty of Versaise, which did not happen until 1919. 11/11/18 is accepted as the cease of hostilities. So, you were right.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rolergirl wrote: »

Tallies with what I've heard from people about him :)
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he'd have said 1945 or any year before 1950 I would have let him off, but 1979 is just beyond stupid.

Surely he must know that whenever the war (either war) is talked about, really old people are wheeled out to discuss it, not a load of people who are in their 40s!
  • Options
    gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    He's thick as shit! People who are as stupid as him shouldn't be allowed on tv.

The only way he is thick is thinking that the general public bought his act. What a plank, why would anyone go out their way to appear stupid?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drumrue wrote: »
    To be honest, anything that happened before 1990 is probably not on his radar
    Anything not about him is off his radar.
    TTTango wrote: »
    Every-one knows it ended in 1980:D - Sorry I meant 1918:D
    See below
    annie.90 wrote: »
    He has got to be putting on the thicko act. it impossible to be that dumb !!!
    I'm a month younger than Joey and I went to school in Ireland.We didn't do much about the world wars in history but even i know that WW1 was 1914-1918
    See below
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    To be fair, the "official" ending of WW1 was the signing of the Treaty of Versaise, which did not happen until 1919. 11/11/18 is accepted as the cease of hostilities. So, you were right.
    Most people think it's 1918 but the correct answer is indeed 1919.

Look on local cenotaphs and you will see 1914 - 1919.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean come on this is 2 year old stuff.
    I find it hard to believe
    He was only having a laugh. :D
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder when he thinks world war 2 was?
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    Hasn't any of you watched TOWIE- im telling you that most of them wouldn't know when the war ended -Joey was not putting on an act then- he only knows what he needs hes said this before and i believe it!
    nice but dim comes to mind :D

Cobblers!

He was lying pure and simple.

This thicko personna is how he earns his living, so obviously he is going to keep it going.

What date do you think he would have given for the end of the Second World War?

Adolf Hitler? 'Oh yeah he's that German rapper he's reem!'

It's amazing how so many people are so gullible.

Maggie
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean come on this is 2 year old stuff.
    I find it hard to believe

He`s not stupid, he`s just playing stupid.

Fair play to him, there is a massive market out there for that acting stupid persona. Some people really adore a thicko.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's lazy to blame the education system completely. What about families and the old art of conversation? Do families not watch the bloody news anymore and discuss it?
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth do they teach them instead then?
    How to get more followers on twitter?

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. If they're not taught history, the only possibility is that they're taught things like how to get twitter followers. There are only two subjects taught in schools, after all: history, and "how to be a minor celebrity".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    He clearly is a bit thick, otherwise he would have come up with a better wrong answer. He was born in 1990 and surely must be aware that there was a Second World War, so he's asking us to believe that there was time to fight that war between 1979 - 1990 and none of his older relatives or friends ever mentioned being in either war. Should have said 1945 Joey, or 1066. Truly the jungle exposes talentless fakes.
  • Options
    kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's lazy to blame the education system completely. What about families and the old art of conversation? Do families not watch the bloody news anymore and discuss it?

Exactly. School has nothing to do with it when everyone is given the same standard of education across the board for whatever time era.

The problem is that many people do what's called continued learning via books and other materials available. It could even be said that many people state they learned 'more' since leaving school.

Certainly not in the case of Joey.
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    I wish I could ask him when world war 3 ended.

I wonder what his answer would be :-)

Probably 1918 lol
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peaches41 wrote: »
    Probably 1918 lol

Loooool you just made me think "does Joey think the World Wars are Star Wars?" :D:D