Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    ITV News at Ten was incredibly strong tonight leading with Mark Austin's exclusive interview with Winnie Mandella.

Brilliant journalism; reminds me of how proud I am of the media.

Could it break 2m? :D Sorry. :)
    iaindb wrote: »
    Anyone know what the last ITV Susan Boyle programme was and what it got in the ratings?

Overnights.tv's Programme Search comes up with this:
    ITV	Fri 04/11/2011	21:00:18 SUSAN BOYLE: AN UNLIKELY SUPERSTAR

That got 5.47m (22.5%) / 5.82m (23.9%) overnight, beating Have I Got News For You (4.52m/18.3%) and Live at the Apollo (3.02m/12.6%).
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a cast!

But do we need yet another whimsical Wainwright drama featuring stereotypical northerners in and around Hebden Bridge and Halifax?

Those dramas are the future as they rate the best, less Ripper Street more whimsy is now the rule.

It will be interesting how Question Time will rate tonight compared to normal. Does mean we've kind of had 2 weeks without a QT debating UK issues (based on the fact that last weeks didn't actually happen as far as most viewers are concerned)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A couple of articles from Broadcast which may be of interest:
    ITV rings the changes with overhaul of daytime teams
    ITV is carrying out a significant overhaul of its daytime teams across commissioning and production.

Broadcast understands that the executive producers of This Morning and Loose Women are set to leave their roles within ITV Studios’ daytime division. This follows the recent departures of Daybreak editor Karl Newton and ITVS creative director for daytime and lifestyle Fiona Keenaghan.

The changes would mean that all of ITVS’s major daytime shows will be under new leadership, with the exception of The Jeremy Kyle Show, which has been handed to director of entertainment Siobhan Greene.

It is believed that ITVS is keen to move Miles Jarvis, who helps oversee This Morning as part of wider daytime responsibilities, into an executive producer role at factual arm Shiver. He has experience of in-house factual content, having made Gino’s Italian Escape earlier this year.

Elsewhere, executive producer Sharon Powers has been told that her role on Loose Women is likely to be made redundant, although the former Big Brother creative director’s future is still being discussed. She joined the show in 2010.

Both were hired by Keenaghan, who left the company after 13 years in October and was effectively replaced by Emma Gormley, the Lorraine editor who was promoted to managing executive producer last month.

Insiders at the production division have complained that daytime teams have been unsettled by all the recent changes, with many fearful for their own jobs. One well-placed source described the situation as “turmoil”, while another said many staff were “upset and frustrated”.

It is understood that director of daytime Helen Warner has had input into all the decisions, which are ultimately the responsibility of Denise O’Donoghue, who oversees ITVS’s UK operations. Warner is also mid-way through a review of Daybreak ahead of the show’s relaunch in 2014.

Earlier this week, ITV recruited Shiver executive producer Clare Ely and Dancing On Ice showrunner Jane Beacon to share Diana Howie’s daytime commissioning editor job, after she leaves at Christmas.

Ely will join in January, while Beacon will share the role from April, after the final series of Dancing On Ice has wrapped.
    http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5064595.article
    Distinctive shows mean C4’s glass is half full
    The broadcaster is still home to must-watch TV – when you can find it, says Maggie Brown

Ten years ago, a jittery Channel 4 chief executive, one Mark Thompson, began the ultimately fruitless pursuit of a merger with Channel 5, conscious of his channel’s lack of scale.

Five years later, Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards, speaking to the Royal Television Society, said C4’s finances remained uncertain. Then, three years ago, C4 finally discarded its comfort blanket and broadcast the last Big Brother.

At a decidedly tetchy annual report press conference in May this year, when the question of C4’s 6.8% drop in audience share in 2012 came up, external criticisms of the power of chief creative officer Jay Hunt, and the pace of creative renewal, were paramount. Now share has fallen further to below 6% in 2013, a problem needing calm discussion. Back when Thompson was rattled, it stood at 9.3%; in 2008, it was 8.1%.

I have always thought C4 was Britain’s toughest broadcaster to run, and that we tend to take its continued presence for granted. This was my spur to writing its history in 2007.

Running C4 is a tightrope walk, thanks to the combination of a distinct commercial public service special remit, a dependence on factual singles, and a mission to succour the independent sector, rather than build up an intellectual property base.

David Abraham is on a mission to enlist and identify online viewers – 8 million had signed up by September – to add to its commercial armoury. The revamp of Barb, which will count viewing on laptops and tablets next year, should help the case for recalibrating its impact.

Though times are tough, I see C4’s glass as half full rather than half empty. Set against the 11.4% year-on-year decline in ratings – partly caused by schedule changes by rivals outside of its control – there is proof of a refreshed schedule, of that elusive thing called ‘creative renewal’ arriving, whether you judge it on the awards nominations, or the kinds of eye-catching flavours it keeps coming up with.

C4 broadcasts programmes I make a real date with: my 2013 selection is Richard III: The King In The Car Park, The Mill (history is working very well), Utopia (drama is on the up), Educating Yorkshire (fixed-rig is a channel trademark), the fired-up Channel 4 News and one of the bravest of Dispatches, Syria: Across The Lines. I am sure others would add their choices, perhaps Gogglebox, Southcliffe, Top Boy, Toast Of London, Alan Carr… extra funds pumped into programming have dished up much interesting fare.

But C4 also tends to handicap itself by what seems to be erratic and last-minute scheduling decisions. I have held conversations with exasperated PRs who say some shows go on air without sufficient time to promote them properly. Producers also complain about shows being buried in grave-yard slots (Toast Of London at 10.40pm on Sundays is one example) or even demoted to a digital channel, infuriating the talent.

There is a clear problem with the schedule. C4 needs to sort out a sustaining band of returnables and formats, with replacements for Countdown, Come Dine With Me, Embarrassing Bodies, One Born Every Minute and the old 8pm-9pm “wall of leisure”. In short, it needs a family of big brothers and sisters.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/comment/in-my-view/eye-catching-programmes-show-c4s-glass-is-half-full/5064597.article?blocktitle=Comment&contentID=2489
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    Thanks to ronant and NeilVW for doing detailed roundups the past week or so. I'm sure I speak for everyone by saying those have been missed lately (and I'm as guilty as anyone else for that).
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Thanks to ronant and NeilVW for doing detailed roundups the past week or so. I'm sure I speak for everyone by saying those have been missed lately (and I'm as guilty as anyone else for that).

And so say all of us! Thanks Neil VW and Ronant.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Shane Richie would probably have done more Jim'll Fix It if certain criminal acts hadn't come to light.

Alternatively he could do a Christmas Presents type show like Noel used to do. Similar type of show but without the unavoidable baggage of the other show.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    With four official ratings left, the I'm a Celebrity consolidated series average is 11.19 million viewers, including +1 and HD.

Also, officially the launch episode peaked with over 14 million viewers, again including +1.

So it it likely to be the most watched ever? Surely the final, potentially time-shifting +1.5m will ensure its top in series average?

The peak consolidated should be around 14.5m?
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enhanced aggregated consolidated peak....

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I agree. But it is sad that broadcasters now make so little effort that they're happy to win with 3.5m!

However, Supermarket Secrets normally get around 4m and there are millions who would gladly watch Celebrity Poo Painting in the Andes rather than watch Susan "Let's Reveal my Aspergers Four Days Before A Show About Me" Boyle. Not that I'm cynical, much.

After the revelation in the summer edition that supermarkets sell more ice cream when it gets hot I suspect the nation is on the edge of their seat for what they'll reveal in the Christmas special. Filler TV at it's worse!

Agree though the Susan Boyle show could be anything from 3m to 6m. I guess the real question is whether it'll get more viewers than tonights X Factor USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enhanced aggregated consolidated peak....

:rolleyes:

And? Its the correct peak, I am not comparing it to a BBC programme so it shouldn't worry you. Last year i remember you adding together the MBB showing's to get the highest figure you could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    After the revelation in the summer edition that supermarkets sell more ice cream when it gets hot I suspect the nation is on the edge of their seat for what they'll reveal in the Christmas special. Filler TV at it's worse!

Agree though the Susan Boyle show could be anything from 3m to 6m. I guess the real question is whether it'll get more viewers than tonights X Factor USA.

I suspect BBC1 will win the 9pm slot, the factual Supermarket programmes always soak up the floating audience. Should see a good 4.5m for that with Boyle around 3.7m inc+1.
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

I suspect BBC1 will win the 9pm slot, the factual Supermarket programmes always soak up the floating audience. Should see a good 4.5m for that with Boyle around 3.7m inc+1.

I think SuBo will win with around 4.9m (inc +1), and Supermarket will be closer to 3.5m. Never underestimate SuBo!

I hope Question Time scores a lower rating than usual tonight. By all means discuss Mandela for a small segment of the show but to broadcast a show which is supposed to debate British politics from S Africa is nothing short of ridiculous.

I would have been much more interested to hear MPs defend their most recent payrise.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that Susan Boyle will have won the slot tonight. I think the general public are still very much interested in her. I would predict 4.5m with +1.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US News;

Well Simon's on his way back then...... according to Louis at least!

XF USA limped along with another 1.4 rating last night, beaten by NBC acapella singing competition 'The Sing Off' which had a 1.8 (and had only just come back after a 2 year break). Surely if Fox do renew XFUS for another season Simon wouldn't stick around, or will he go down with the ship?

Survivor has also had another two seasons commisioned by CBS, and will probably out live us all!

With regards to US shows broadcast over here, E4's purchase 'The Tomorrow People' which starts in Jan had a 0.5 and is on shaky ground after CW's good start to the year. More 4's 'Nashville' also in trouble with just a 1.4 beaten by veteran 'CSI'. While Sky's 'The Middle', 'Modern Family', 'Arrow' and 'Criminal Minds' all post solid figures.

Edit; After seeing CW's Midseason schedule, 'Tomorrow People' moves to Monday with 'The 100' (Also E4 bound) getting the 'Arrow' lead in. 'Beauty and the Beast' is pretty much cancelled by going on hiatus (shown on Watch here), and Hart of Dixie moves to Fridays and whill probably see a 4th season for syndication (shown on Really).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street official ratings for week ending 1 December, exc +1 (estimates in red due to missing +1/HD figures) / inc +1:
    Mon 25/11, 19:30 - 10.25m (42.0%) / 10.43m (42.7%) 
    Mon 25/11, 20:30 - 10.41m (36.4%) / 10.67m (37.3%)
    Wed 25/11, 19:30 - 09.77m (41.0%) / 10.21m (42.9%)
    Fri 25/11, 19:30 - [highlight]09.48m (42.2%)[/highlight] / 09.61m (42.8%)
    Fri 25/11, 20:30 - [highlight]08.97m (35.9%)[/highlight] / 09.12m (36.9%)

Sources: Broadcast, BARB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV2 comedy 'Plebs' has won a 3rd award, this time from last night's Comedy Awards on Ch4 as Best New Comedy.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    EastEnders had a major press event yesterday. Sounds very impressive by the sounds of things coming up in 2014, "some of the best storylines EastEnders has had in a long time" said head of BBC drama. Looks like EE will become the top soap and cement itself as the nation's favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV2 comedy 'Plebs' has won a 3rd award, this time from last night's Comedy Awards on Ch4 as Best New Comedy.

With these awards for ratings failures Plebs and Vicious, one wonders if there is an element of the industry wanting to reward ITV for getting back into the sitcom genre, after ignoring it for so many years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Downton Abbey to end next year as stars ditch the show for Hollywood: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/downton-abbey-ending-itv-period-2920958

Fantastic news for BBC One and the other terrestrials. Sunday nights should become much easier in Autumn 2015 onwards with Downton gone. If Itv continues with it beyond 2014 with a poorer cast, the quality of the show will take a big dip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    EastEnders had a major press event yesterday. Sounds very impressive by the sounds of things coming up in 2014, "some of the best storylines EastEnders has had in a long time" said head of BBC drama. Looks like EE will become the top soap and cement itself as the nation's favourite.

Not to say there won't be good storylines, but you'd hardly expect them to come out and say 2014 is going to be rubbish! And I thought it was better to dampen expectations anyway! ;-)
    NeilVW wrote: »
    With these awards for ratings failures Plebs and Vicious, one wonders if there is an element of the industry wanting to reward ITV for getting back into the sitcom genre, after ignoring it for so many years.

Was Plebs a ratings faliure, I though it did okay for ITV2 relativly speaking?

Anyway it won't be the first time a show with rubbish ratings has won awards, the Americans especially seem to love doing this! It's what has kept the Good Wife on CBS for a lot longer than it should and that comes from a big fan of the show.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

Possibly although Plebs wasn't a ratings failure. It did pretty well if I remember correctly and be reviews were good too. I can see it doing even better when it comes back.

Vicious I'm not so sure of. I get the feeling it might be a tarnished brand now and the second series may well do even worse than the first, as chances are it won't get such a plum slot. Depends what they pair it up with I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with NeilVw. I think the critics almost feel sorry for Itv that they have so few sitcoms so some of the awards they have been giving shows like Vicious is to encourage them to make more comedies. I dont think Vicious won on merit but more on sympathy value. Vicious was one of the most slated sitcoms of the year alongside the Wright Way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downton Abbey to end next year as stars ditch the show for Hollywood: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/downton-abbey-ending-itv-period-2920958

Fantastic news for BBC One and the other terrestrials. Sunday nights should become much easier in Autumn 2015 onwards with Downton gone. If Itv continues with it beyond 2014 with a poorer cast, the quality of the show will take a big dip.

With ratings higher than any other dramas in averages DA will not end, but may simply take a break. ITV may now be looking for a another huge drama to replace it during the time it might be rested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All pure speculation though, it even says; ITV said: there's NO plan to end the show in 2014.

In fact the last sentence makes the article completly pointless. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with NeilVw. I think the critics almost feel sorry for Itv that they have so few sitcoms so some of the awards they have been giving shows like Vicious is to encourage them to make more comedies. I dont think Vicious won on merit but more on sympathy value. Vicious was one of the most slated sitcoms of the year alongside the Wright Way.

By critics maybe, but then so is Mrs Brown's Boys. ;-) If you read comments under the clips from You Tube you may see almost 100% positive comments.
This discussion has been closed.