Options

This is Most Definitely Not An Appreciation Thread **Part 20**

Comments

• Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    Oh christ, she's responsible for the baby blue background with red roses design kitchenware that I see everywhere now. I'm.. er.. not a fan.

Yep! Somehow I knew us DOTS wouldn't be fans of the twee, cutesy range. ;-)
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    Yep! Somehow I knew us DOTS wouldn't be fans of the twee, cutesy range. ;-)

It's a step to close to Fiona-dom ;-) :D
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    Some of her things are alright. There's gorgeous fabric in this style which I sometimes use - but it's much nicer, more imaginative. Cath Kidston's stuff is for me devoid of imagination. I read an interview with her once where she said her own taste was totally different - and it shows. Her stuff is just bland, whereas some others can use similar motifs and colours and it has character.

Whoops, not really a fan then.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh christ, she's responsible for the baby blue background with red roses design kitchenware that I see everywhere now. I'm.. er.. not a fan.

If it was just the kitchenware I could probably cope, but it's the bags, the phone covers, the purses, the wellies, the gloves. The environment is being polluted by kitsch.>:(:cry:
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    If it was just the kitchenware I could probably cope, but it's the bags, the phone covers, the purses, the wellies, the gloves. The environment is being polluted by kitsch.>:(:cry:

Cath Kitson seems to be the Laura Ashley of my youth, they have become classier with age, perhaps it will happen with this company,

As it is it is a too twee at the moment for me I think the wellies etc look lovely on little girls and at least it is not Barbie pink.

I actually live in a very twee cottage, (chosen for it's garden) with Cath Kitson fabrics it would look like a cottage in a fairy tale, it has to be dressed fairly plainly , perhaps the Cath Kitsonites live in modern houses and need a bit of twee ness
  • Options
    stefthepeststefthepest Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of her things are alright. There's gorgeous fabric in this style which I sometimes use - but it's much nicer, more imaginative. Cath Kidston's stuff is for me devoid of imagination. I read an interview with her once where she said her own taste was totally different - and it shows. Her stuff is just bland, whereas some others can use similar motifs and colours and it has character.

I love Cath Kidston but in small doses. She also does bath and beauty products now her wild rose hand cream is fab. I like the colours and patterns but I can appreciate it's not for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Cath Kitson seems to be the Laura Ashley of my youth, they have become classier with age, perhaps it will happen with this company,

As it is it is a too twee at the moment for me I think the wellies etc look lovely on little girls and at least it is not Barbie pink.

I actually live in a very twee cottage, (chosen for it's garden) with Cath Kitson fabrics it would look like a cottage in a fairy tale, it has to be dressed fairly plainly , perhaps the Cath Kitsonites live in modern houses and need a bit of twee ness

Laura Ashley has lost its way. I used to buy some of their clothes but recently they don't know where they are going. I couldn't find anything I liked when I looked on their website. They seem to have nicer stuff in their decorating department where they have stayed true to their origins.
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely cannot bear Cath Kidston. It doesn't even have the energy of true kitsch.

I'm quite a fan of old-style Liberty prints, William Morris etc and even some of the originial Laura Ashley prints (though I may be seeing them through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, more than 30 years ago I loved the Laura Ashley dress I had) but CK seems sterile, soulless and just unpleasing to my eye.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    My daughters bought me a glasses case for my birthday. I must confess I prefer the Mickey Mouse one I have been using for years. I am not a flowery person atall and I can only presume they bought it as a joke.

I don't do twee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I always use the root of ^_^ as a particularly smug smile when I want to wind someone up. Am very disappointed that the smillie version looks so...nothingy.

I see this smiley as that chap in House of Cards saying "You might think that Mattie, but I couldn't possibly comment"
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member

The thing is, I do like some 40s/50s style designs, but that one just looks like a pretentious attempt at a design from that era. I can imagine that the design looks good in quilting because it's broken up by other patterns which takes the tweeness away. Seeing it in big blocks (like the apron I saw a couple of days ago or worse, wallpaper) just makes my teeth ache though.

I like retro designs, but not to the point of twee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just having a peep at last night's ITT on iPlayer, after ignoring it for weeks - all I can say of Susanna's "party dance" is "WHITE MAN'S OVERBITE!!11!!!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely cannot bear Cath Kidston. It doesn't even have the energy of true kitsch.

I'm quite a fan of old-style Liberty prints, William Morris etc and even some of the originial Laura Ashley prints (though I may be seeing them through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, more than 30 years ago I loved the Laura Ashley dress I had) but CK seems sterile, soulless and just unpleasing to my eye.

Oh, I love William Morris. I made a rug once that took me 2 years that was a William Morris design.

There's a Cath Kitson shop in Bluewater, my posh local shopping centre and I wander past thinking why? But then I do like the White Company and that's just as aspirational and ridiculous. £400 for a bed sheet. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The White Company is perhaps the polar (hah, did you see what I did there? :D) opposite of Cath Kidston and I would a million times rather have their sheets than a corny, kitschy badly-printed Cathfest.
  • Options
    SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Im also not a Cath Kidson fan...

Far too twee...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The White Company is perhaps the polar (hah, did you see what I did there? :D) opposite of Cath Kidston and I would a million times rather have their sheets than a corny, kitschy badly-printed Cathfest.

I have 2 glass jars in my bathroom from the white company, they cost me £40!

However I like both companies.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    sounds like I am fortunate to have never heard of her before then..............except, now I HAVE heard of her....and I wish to unappreciate this.

:D

:p

did she design this smiley ^_^ ?
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you lot remember what day this week Ian and Natalie's dance was on ITT? I'm wanting to catch up later, but I can't remember which day it was on.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like I am fortunate to have never heard of her before then..............except, now I HAVE heard of her....and I wish to unappreciate this.

:p

did she design this smiley ^_^ ?

That's far too minimalist for Cath Kidston. If she designed a smilie it would look like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rednell wrote: »
    Can you lot remember what day this week Ian and Natalie's dance was on ITT? I'm wanting to catch up later, but I can't remember which day it was on.
    I think it was monday but it could possibly have been tuesday.
    Muggsy wrote: »
    That's far too minimalist for Cath Kidston. If she designed a smilie it would look like this.

I would buy that for my youngest though :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »

I think it was Tuesday. Definitely wasn't Wednesday, that's the only episode I saw this week. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting a cath kidston wash bag for Christmas to put my tablets in. I'm not twee and certainly not a flowery person in general but I think some of her designs are pretty.

I notice Kirstie Alsopp had her own range in virtually everything and her designs to my mind are very similar to CK. I will not be buying her stuff though can't stand her she has to win and be the best at all those womens institute events she entered.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    The thing is, I do like some 40s/50s style designs, but that one just looks like a pretentious attempt at a design from that era. I can imagine that the design looks good in quilting because it's broken up by other patterns which takes the tweeness away. Seeing it in big blocks (like the apron I saw a couple of days ago or worse, wallpaper) just makes my teeth ache though.

I like retro designs, but not to the point of twee.

That's the point I was trying - and failing :blush: - to make. I've seen modern takes on it that has more flair, or more authentic stuff that has more charm. There is a certain lowest common denominator affect - it's that kitschy thing but by numbers. As Muggsy says it's the pollution of it onto other stuff. Too much.
  • Options
    KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine loves, loves, loves Cath Kidston.

She also votes for Smugsanna.

Coincidence? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KitKat21 wrote: »
    A friend of mine loves, loves, loves Cath Kidston.

She also votes for Smugsanna.

Coincidence? ;-)

This isn't the same friend that loved 50 shades of sh*te is it?
This discussion has been closed.