Options

Ginger wine

cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering how many people still make it? I made some recently as I loved it when I was a kid.:)

My own kids aren't feeling the love though.:D

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Just wondering how many people still make it? I made some recently as I loved it when I was a kid.:)

My own kids aren't feeling the love though.:D

I'm guessing you mean 'ginger beer' not 'wine', there? ;-)

I've made non alcoholic ginger beer in the past and also wine (which takes months if not a coupla years to mature but I used to make a lot of wine) - don't so much like homemade, as it is somehow too sugary but some of the bought stuff is lovely. My default ginger wine is Crabbies' Green Ginger ( recently on offer in Morrisons just gone back up to full price, wah!) and I love the alcoholic Crabbies' ginger beers, too... Ginger is the one wine that my son and Mr H and I drink, though so a bottle doesn't last long...

ETA: My younger kids will drink cola and crap like that (they only get it birthdays and xmas:D) but they hate the traditional British pops like Dandelion & Burdock, Tizer, or Ginger Beer... Just don't get that! What is it with kids?
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Granny made Ginger wine every Christmas, it was my New Year tipple. It was thick, black and had a tremendous kick to the back of the throat. Happy memories and probably why I love whisky now!

And no Hog, the OP means Ginger Wine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    My Granny made Ginger wine every Christmas, it was my New Year tipple. It was thick, black and had a tremendous kick to the back of the throat. Happy memories and probably why I love whisky now!

And no Hog, the OP means Ginger Wine

Ah I thought cj meant beer as I thought her kids were a lot younger than mine.;-)

Of my older kids, son 2 loves ginger wine - he also loves mead and 'heavy' wines, like I do but sons 1 and 3 don't like it at all... Maybe an acquired taste?

Northerly, did your Granny write down her recipe?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    We had a ginger beer plant when I was a kid
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always get a couple of bottles of ginger wine at Christmas. Crabbies is nice, and so is Stone's. Extra marvellous with a Scotch in!:D
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Ah I thought cj meant beer as I thought her kids were a lot younger than mine.;-)

Of my older kids, son 2 loves ginger wine - he also loves mead and 'heavy' wines, like I do but sons 1 and 3 don't like it at all... Maybe an acquired taste?

Northerly, did your Granny write down her recipe?

Sadly no but i am sure its around the interweb somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reason I ask is, my great aunty did write one down in an old journal I found, and I have never got round to actually making her recipe - was curious how good those old recipes are. I have another little handwritten book started by my grandma in the 1920s which also has a ginger beer recipe in it - must have been a popular thing for people to make. I've been thinking about the handwritten recipes I have and meaning to scan them and get them online for people to try, seeing as I'm not much of a cook - maybe other people would enjoy making them.

Great aunt also had recipes for various home remedies. Ginger wine/beer is of course, medicinal.;-)
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,520
    Forum Member

You bought the little bottles of essence (Yulade) from the Co-op. Boil it up with water and sugar, leave to cool and bottle it. Haven't seen it in years but I think you can still get it.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,057
    Forum Member
    Best thing about getting home on a freezing winter's day - a slug of ginger wine to warm you up.

For those not interested in making there own - Stone's Ginger Wine has been around forever and all the big supermarkers sell it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hmmm I might have to pop to the Supermarket tomorrow after work to buy some now. :)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I used to love Castle Wyness ginger wine. Such a shame it's not available anymore. Nothing else gives quite that kick in the back of the throat
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my gran used to make great ginger wine. I could never make it as good. My neighbour does and we get bottle for new year
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    You bought the little bottles of essence (Yulade) from the Co-op. Boil it up with water and sugar, leave to cool and bottle it. Haven't seen it in years but I think you can still get it.

Yes, this is how we made it too. I tried to find this last year and was unsuccessful. Looks like you can get it on ebay.

My mum made ginger wine every year, we loved it. It's a Scottish thing though I believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xyu-lade&_nkw=yu-lade&_sacat=0&_from=R40
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the stuff from the Co op a couple of years ago. I ended up throwing most of it out as no-one would drink it! Ungrateful gits. I was so chuffed with it !:mad: :D

I've never tried the blackcurrant stuff.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean the thick black stuff made with loads of sugar and ginger essense. I got a bottle from the local Co-op chemist and now have gallons of the stuff which no-one else will drink except my brother and parents.:D

PS I don't recommend tasting the concentrate. It does say on the bottle so I tried it. Yeuch
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The King's Ginger, 500ml. Approx £18, and currently stocked by Berry Bros and Waitrose. Yum yum.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I mean the thick black stuff made with loads of sugar and ginger essense. I got a bottle from the local Co-op chemist and now have gallons of the stuff which no-one else will drink except my brother and parents.:D

PS I don't recommend tasting the concentrate. It does say on the bottle so I tried it. Yeuch

Take it with whisky. That's what I did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

You still get it in my local Co-op, my mum used to make it but put whisky in it (or cointreau) while cooking
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    You still get it in my local Co-op, my mum used to make it but put whisky in it (or cointreau) while cooking

Isn't Ginger Wine a bit posh for you Mrs? Isn't Buckie more your thing? ;-):p......................... runs!!!
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member

Haven't seen it in years in Edinburgh unfortunately. Oh I do like the sound of a Cointreau version!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I like a nice ginger wine with whiskey, Stones or Greens (slightly cheaper)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me - my wife's away till Sunday. and one of the things I have to do is make a batch of Ginger Wine. Riddles Ginger Compound - I've just taken it out of the cupboard!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE ginger wine! My favourite is Crabbies, as it's a sharper taste, but I like Stones and supermarket own brands too. Currently I have a bottle of Crabbies mulled ginger wine on the go.

I've never made it though! To be honest, it's never occurred to me to do that, but now I'm really tempted!
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stone's Ginger Wine has been around forever and all the big supermarkers sell it.
    Sainsbury's sell an own brand version which is almost as good as Stone's and much cheaper (£3.50 as against £6.10, though the Stone's is on offer at £4.50 at the moment).
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,851
    Forum Member
    I was once given a small glass of Stone's Ginger Wine and it took me a couple of days to recover from the experience!:D