Options

Why does the Queen never attend funerals of other heads of state?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to opine that The Queen never attends non family funerals, she always sends the Greek or Big Lugs but I believe she did attend Churchill's bash.

So I don't know the protocol why she attends some, but not others.

err Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does the Queen think she's more important than other heads of state or something?:confused: I was under the impression that she was genuinely fond of Nelson Mandela as well?
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Because she's an old bag.

It's so easy to criticize others when one is perfect I notice. Thankfully there are more civilized posts than ignorant ones.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard that on Sky News that the Queen is sending Prince Charles to represent her at Mandela's funeral. Prince Charles is not our heard of state, she is and she should be there. It was the same back in 2005 when the Pope died, and just to prove its down to her age, she didn't even attend JFK's funeral in person and sent Philip in her place. She was still a young woman back then.

Does the Queen think she's more important than other heads of state or something?:confused: I was under the impression that she was genuinely fond of Nelson Mandela as well?

I agree with you. She is the "Elected" Head of State and should start acting like one. If anything, she should have the courtesy to fly to S.Africa and be there for Mandela's funeral.
    What do we pay her for? Sitting on a creaky chair.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with her age. The Queen has never attended funerals or weddings of anybody but family and maybe close friends. I don't know why.

e2a...I stand corrected...just checked and she was at Margaret Thatcher's funeral. But that was very unusual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Lil_M wrote: »
    I agree with you. She is the "Elected" Head of State and should start acting like one. If anything, she should have the courtesy to fly to S.Africa and be there for Mandela's funeral.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/DayInTheLife/Queensworkingday.aspx
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm pleased to hear you will be coming up to expectations when you are in your late eighties and still working as a nurse, or whatever your CHOSEN profession is. Good for you.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    he wasn't Head of State, he's an ex-President

Corrcet.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is the "Elected" Head of State

Did I miss that??? :o
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukp wrote: »
    If she is too old to do her full duties then she should step aside and let someone younger do them. like King Gary Barlow :D

Her main duty is just to be alive. Delegation is the way things get done in many spheres.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course she isn't elected, with or without quotes.

She does however act like HoS and that doesn't involve long tiring herself out sat tending funerals of former Heads of State at her age.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 24,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with her age. The Queen has never attended funerals or weddings of anybody but family and maybe close friends. I don't know why.

e2a...I stand corrected...just checked and she was at Margaret Thatcher's funeral. But that was very unusual.

She probably just doesn't like funerals of any kind so only goes when she can't get out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very few Heads of State die in office. Monarchs are probably family so there aren't many examples to establish a clear pattern of behaviour re funerals of Heads of state who die in office and who aren't related to her/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I miss that??? :o

This thread has been quite an education for you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    She probably just doesn't like funerals of any kind so only goes when she can't get out of it.

It might be that she doesn't want to upstage the immediate family. If she is there, given her position, she very often has to take precedence over everybody else who is present. Maybe she thinks it is better for her to stay away.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect she didn't want to miss the semi final of Strictly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I expect she didn't want to miss the semi final of Strictly.

Or she might want to vote on xfactor :D
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, she would have been about five months pregnant.

I expect like most 87 year olds she'd prefer not to make long haul trips.
    My ma-in-law is 95, and she's going to Somerset for Christmas, driven there by her eldest son. Maybe the Queen is poorly and can't manage the trip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has been quite an education for you

Oh, in SO many ways! ;-)

Just when I feel it's difficult for DS to suprise me anymore, humanity suprises me once again :p
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    May just not want to go to a frural at that age as while the hole was open the Grim Reaper may make it a 2-4-1 deal
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Dix wrote: »
    My ma-in-law is 95, and she's going to Somerset for Christmas, driven there by her eldest son. Maybe the Queen is poorly and can't manage the trip.

There's a bit of a difference being driven to Somerset and sitting in a plane for hours to travel half way around the world.

ETA The flight takes over eleven hours.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »

There is a slight difference between being driven to Somerset and flying to South Africa.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    There's a bit of a difference being driven to Somerset and sitting in a plane for hours to travel half way around the world.

Yes! and then having to stand for many hours no doubt. Would not want my gran to be doing that.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    The prime minister of the day is sent along with Prince Charles to represent the Queen at world leaders' funerals.

Tony Blair and Prince Charles attended the funerals of King Hussein in 1999, President Reagan in 2004 and Pope John Paul II in 2005.

I know age is cited as an excuse now, but if she's never attended state funerals then I think that's quite poor form.

If she snuffed it tomorrow then I'm sure her funeral would be jam packed full of other heads of state....
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,837
    Forum Member
    I know age is cited as an excuse now, but if she's never attended state funerals then I think that's quite poor form.

If she snuffed it tomorrow then I'm sure her funeral would be jam packed full of other heads of state....

She is the hereditary Monarch. She does not have to do anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but if she's never attended state funerals then I think that's quite poor form.

Not really; don't forget it also allowed her to avoid having to pick and choose WHICH ones to go to so as to not express support....or have her attendance interpreted as support...for a particular political stance or achievement.

When other Royals go in her place, they specifically go as personal representatives of the Queen, and not as state representatives.