Options

Corrie axe Dennis Tanner

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axing Dennis? but keeping deadwood like Maria and Sean???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not upset by the character leaving himself, but upset that the writers have failed to bring back in his sister, Linda, or an extended family. Elsie Tanner was the Street's most iconic character and Dennis is being treated like some recurring character.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a disgrace!! I'm sorry but it is.

Stuart Blackman is a shocking producer. He made Emmerdale unwatchable and now Corrie is heading down the same route.
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,502
    Forum Member
    The Corrie Production Team really are the laziest people sometimes.

A quick look at a Corrie reference book (eg 40 years of Coronation Street by Daran Little) would have told them that Dennis left in 1968 when he married a woman called Jenny Sutton and moved to Bristol.

That opens up a plethora of storylines for the writers to explore:-

What happened to Jenny? Is she still alive?
    If so, what caused her separation from Dennis? Does she know where he is? Is he even divorced from Jenny? Is his marriage to Rita legal?

Did they have any children? If so, what sort of relationship do they have with their father?

And, of course, there's Dennis's sister Linda and her kids as well as Dennis's distant link with Eileen and Julie.

If the writers were intent on giving him something to do there's a 43 year gap in his backstory for them to use their imagination on. They could have introduced Jenny or his kids and really created some drama between them, Dennis and Rita.

Very lazy of Corrie and I feel very sorry for Philip Lowrie that he's been treated so shabbily.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they axed him though? I've found no official statement to say "he's been axed" and the spokesperson says he might be back one day.

Could he have just chosen to leave on his own accord? Or have I missed something?
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not happy with this news, although this explains Rita's recent sniping and constant put downs. Lets hope he kicks off on her and leaves making a success of his music thing with Robin Askwith. (Ah Robin nice to see him back on telly).
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimthepig wrote: »
    Stuart Blackburn does not care about Corrie at all he nearly destroyed Emmerdale and he is now doing the same to Corrie. >:(
    I agree, jimthepig. He introduced the ghastly Spencers into Emmerdale, which ruined it; now, by gradually axing all the adult actors, he will leave Coronation Street with just mouthy, spoilt brats, which seems to be the way the show is heading. Dennis could have been given some very good storylines, including bringing in his sister Linda and family; instead they just protrayed him as a sponger, with no character.
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep Dennis in, he is a nice fun character. Wish they'd ditch some of the others before the Den man. Dev, Gail and Sean springing to mind
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he has been axed, then congratulations Corrie for axing one of the only likeable characters in the show at the moment. >:(

And if he's leaving of his own accord, then kudos to Philip for deserting what in my opinion is slowly becoming a sinking ship.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking due to the fact that the characters have history and are both original cast members? It would have been a nice nod to the shows history. Though I doubt Blackburn was thinking along those lines looking at his form.
    I get what you are coming from now. But even then Dennis can still interact with other characters even in Ken's absence (we are unsure of his future). I mean he still knew Emily back in the 1960s and he still interacts with older characters like Norris. And also Corrie created this link to the Grimshaws and Tanners, yet nothing has come of this. So much wasted opportunity.
    junipaire wrote: »
    Keep Dennis in, he is a nice fun character. Wish they'd ditch some of the others before the Den man. Dev, Gail and Sean springing to mind
    I think Dev and Gail are harmless (even though Gail is having problems). Its the loud mouthed vulgar characters like Michelle or Tracy that need axing.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's what all the bashing of Dennis by Rita was about this week....
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Yet again SB decides to split up a married couple , he must hate marriage, his plan is already in place, character transplant for Rita, putting down the man he loves and goading him about being homeless when she met him again. Hate SB with a passion, when is he leaving? I wish someone would sack HIM instead :(:(:(
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be reading something else then because I haven't seen the words been 'axed'. I think the actor is just leaving.

Wished he was taking Rita with him but you can't have everything.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    The Corrie Production Team really are the laziest people sometimes.

A quick look at a Corrie reference book (eg 40 years of Coronation Street by Daran Little) would have told them that Dennis left in 1968 when he married a woman called Jenny Sutton and moved to Bristol.

That opens up a plethora of storylines for the writers to explore:-

What happened to Jenny? Is she still alive?
    If so, what caused her separation from Dennis? Does she know where he is? Is he even divorced from Jenny? Is his marriage to Rita legal?

Did they have any children? If so, what sort of relationship do they have with their father?

And, of course, there's Dennis's sister Linda and her kids as well as Dennis's distant link with Eileen and Julie.

If the writers were intent on giving him something to do there's a 43 year gap in his backstory for them to use their imagination on. They could have introduced Jenny or his kids and really created some drama between them, Dennis and Rita.

Very lazy of Corrie and I feel very sorry for Philip Lowrie that he's been treated so shabbily.

Well said!! Lots of missed opportunites for realistic storylines.

I think it's comfy having characters like Dennis in the background. You need something to balance the drama and OTT 'goings on' :(
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its really pathetic axing and I bet his exit will be rubbish as well. As people here have pointed out Rita suddenly being mean to Dennis and making vile comments is obviously a ploy to work up to his exit. Just like how Paul and Eileen had all the stupid troubles with the so called 'racism' when they where finally settling down, or Brian betraying Julie by going behind her back. All so they can leave the show and leave behind a broken partner.

Rita's Kabin made some good lists of possibilities of the character. They hardly bothered to explore his backstory, he rarely even had much interaction with Ken despite them being neighbours and friends in his original stint. Really terrible waste of a character.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I like Phillip Lowrie, what a kick in the teeth it must be. Brought back after all those years. Perhaps they need to start axing vindictive characters like Tracy Barlow, at least the older characters bring some humour.

If Kenneth doesn't return no more originals. :(:(

Its stupid to let some history like that go.

:(:(
    I think that we should protest.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    So that's what all the bashing of Dennis by Rita was about this week....

Exactly. I knew something was afoot behind the scenes the minute Reet started suddenly treating Dennis like shite on her shoe. ('I found you in the gutter' etc).>:(>:(

Why oh why oh why can soaps never ever these days write a credible sl for someone who has been axed? Pathetic. All they have achieved is to alienate the viewer against poor Reet. :(
  • Options
    johnhughjohnhugh Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    The character in my view has never quite worked, but as other posters have stated, there is so much more 'dead wood', Maria, Dev, Kerk Sean, and of course Kym bloody what ever your sur name is.

This recent storyline is pathetic, and I suppose it's Sue Johnson's exit, but it was Alec Gilroy who was a theatrical agent...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh dear..poor old Rita loses all her hubby's...does he get killed off ? As her husbands die :(
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps he will leave EastEnders style and return after 6 months or less.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    johnhugh wrote: »
    The character in my view has never quite worked, but as other posters have stated, there is so much more 'dead wood', Maria, Dev, Kerk Sean, and of course Kym bloody what ever your sur name is.

This recent storyline is pathetic, and I suppose it's Sue Johnson's exit, but it was Alec Gilroy who was a theatrical agent...

Dennis had showbiz clients in the early 60s - the most famous was singer Brett Falcon (real name Walter Potts!) - the song that he sang 'Not Too Little, Not Too Much' got to #17 in the actual charts
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    Not happy with this news, although this explains Rita's recent sniping and constant put downs. Lets hope he kicks off on her and leaves making a success of his music thing with Robin Askwith. (Ah Robin nice to see him back on telly).
    Is it me or have the writers turned Rita into Michelle #2.

Constant sniping and retorts.
  • Options
    thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! I like Dennis!
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow this is a shocker
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Dennis. >:(>:(

I do too, but they haven't used him very well. Making him a lollipop man and married to Rita wasn't the best use of the old rogue.