Options

Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was dead against Harry being sacked, and I don't think AVB was the answer, and it's been proved that way.

His methods just didn't fit the players we have. All the new players, many similar in style was not the answer.

I fancied Rodgers or Martinez after Harry, but was shouted down by some, because they managed small clubs, but they've done okay haven't they.

From a great position a couple of years ago, we're in a mess again. Levy seems to want a proven Euro manager, and we've tried Santini, Ramos and now AVB who have all failed miserably.

I hope we can get someone in who can quickly getting us playing good football again, with a threat at the end of it.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy with that as well - he's agreed to manage the Dutch National Team after next year's world cup, so I don't think we'd get him on any kind of long term deal unfortunately but I'd certainly be very happy if he came in until the end of the season.

As far as Capello .. not sure. I know he's got an outstanding record at club level in Europe, but would that translate to the Premier League ?
    Yes, I think it would but how old is he now? He'd be a safe pair of hands, at least. Would we beneath him, since we can't offer a massive salary to make up for not being CL.

What about Pochettino?
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumor mill says it'll be Capello or Sherwood on a caretaker basis until end of season.

From an 'insider' some reasons (alledgedly): over reliance on stats and not using his eyes, arrogance, rudeness to staff, isolating the first team from the rest of the Club, refusing to meet Levy/Baldini to discuss player targets.

If any of that is true it would seem we are better off without him. Not surprised now as he had obviously had a big falling out with Freund who is a Spurs man through and through, it showed in Freund's body language and demeanor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Rumor mill says it'll be Capello or Sherwood on a caretaker basis until end of season.

I cant imagine even Levy has been tapping up a new manager, as he did when getting rid of Jol, so a caretaker looks likely, which was a disaster last time with Pleat. He claimed the time allowed him to get the right man, who turned out to be Santini.:(

I believe Harry was only meant to be a short term fix to be honest, as he isn't Levy style at all, but he did far better than expected, and couldn't be disposed of until he did finally get the chance.

Someone like Laudrup would be a much better bet.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was going to avoid all football forums for a few days, but can't now. I'm actually gutted. As it stands, I think this is a poor decision. I guess we shall have to see who we get in and how they do before we can say whether it was the right thing in the long-term. Long-term, does this club even know what that means?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let it be Capello, then!
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another foreign manager?

When will they learn...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure some of the players brought in were not AVBs choice, and I think that accounted for why we had so many similar midfield players.

However, his stubbornness to change style to adapt went against him. Everyone and his dog could see the problems we were having.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Clarke is available!
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Evertonian aren't you? Maybe you should be worried about Martinez - he's previously been shortlisted by Levy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not when Ian Holloway is free!
  • Options
    Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Not when Ian Holloway is free!

Nah - not when David Pleat is available ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evertonian aren't you? Maybe you should be worried about Martinez - he's previously been shortlisted by Levy.

No, I am not an Evertonian, although we do a have a few at the club!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old boy Chris Hughton anybody?
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    6-0 loss against City

3-0 loss against W Ham

5-0 loss against Liverpool

Played more games than goals scored

Combined with £100 million spent on new players having sold just 1, in today's modern money fueled game I can see why this sacking has happened, shame reall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil S wrote: »
    Nah - not when David Pleat is available ;-)
    Not while Ian Dowie exists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt Martinez would leave Everton

doing well and better than expected as he is
    would mean moving from up north

Nah - but stranger things have happened
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, I probably wouldn't have a huge objection if Steve Clarke was brought in as a number two - his tenures under Mourinho and Dalglish, as well as leading West Brom to 8th last year, are surely evidence of his capability for the role ?.

I wouldn't have a problem with Michael Laudrup either I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Not while Ian Dowie exists.

Paulo DiCanio perhaps :D
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Laudrup's name has also been mentioned as well.

I can't imagine any PL club will let their manager leave midway through a season though. I suspect we'll have some kind of stop-gap appointment until the end of the season.

I don't think Laudrup will manage another British Club after Swansea, he does not want the pressures and expectations of managing a top club.

I feel sorry for AVB the knives were out for him from the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, the only paper i've seen with any kind of indication that Guus Hiddink has agreed to manage the Dutch Team after next year's world cup is the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/guus-hiddink-become-netherlands-coach-2928508

If there's any chance it's not true then i'd certainly move mountains to try and get him in.

I'd forgotten that the Europa League draw is about to take place ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil S wrote: »
    Paulo DiCanio perhaps :D
    Can't top that! Not now Roy Keane has a job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clive Allen says Glenn Hoddle would be happy to step in as caretaker. Don't know whether Glenn has said that, or whether Levy would take him back.

I'd love that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Away to FC Dnipro in the EL - i'll take that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FC Dinpro in the Europa League for you guys, so a winnable game for you top progress in that competition at least.
This discussion has been closed.