Options

Are You Being Served

Comments

• Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing is getting desperate and lazy in the later series, relying too much on pratfalls and pies in the face.
    The painting and decorators episode yesterday would have made The Chuckle Brothers wince with embarassment .
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved today's episode where Mrs. S was living in the store.

"What a lovely view"
    "I do like the Continent"
    :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loved today's episode where Mrs. S was living in the store.

"What a lovely view"
    "I do like the Continent"
    :D

She was getting very frisky with Mr Humphries.

'Leave my pussy alone Mr Humphries'.

:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed mr tebbs first episode.was it explained why mr grainger had left?
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Grainger no. For Mr Tebbs, they began with the end of a farewell party as he had taken retirement.

James Hayter was the voice of Mr Kipling and the company paid him to leave AYBS. There was a big turnover of GB staff after that.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The post-Mr Lucas era starts on Wednesday

He and Mr Goldberg left after the '79 Christmas Special

Season 8 had two Seniors in the Gentlemen's Department Mr Grossman and Mr Klein both of whom only appeared in half the season each
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been enjoying watching the repeats - I'd only seen the ocassional repeat in the past, not the whole show (since I was born just before it finished in the 80s). I think last Fridays episode was one of the most outrageous ones with Mr. Humphries in the boxing ring (or was it wrestling? didn't he say he had previously only been interested in wrestling? I wonder why(!)). Some of the innuendo is a bit, over the top i guess. I'm surprised Mr. Lucas hadn't been sacked or more seriously reprimanded for some of the scathing things he said to Mrs. Slocombe. I didn't know his character left the show, he's one of the main characters so that must have made a difference to it.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the earlier series, as it goes on it gets more outrageous to the point of being ridiculous and harder to genuinely laugh at.
  • Options
    PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr lucas is my favourite character but when he left his replacement Mr Spooner took over it took awhile for me to get use to him. Anyway i just got my complete dvd boxset for my birthday 2 days ago (£22) I`m off to watch the xmas specials that the bbc did not show. ( Although i`ve see them all and the whole series).
  • Options
    thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that you can't watch this programme on BBC iPlayer! I missed the episode that was shown on Friday, and I was looking forward to watching it, but I can't. :(:(
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just noticed that you can't watch this programme on BBC iPlayer! I missed the episode that was shown on Friday, and I was looking forward to watching it, but I can't. :(:(

I noticed that. Some movies are shown oon iPlayer, some aren't. I find it odd that a show like AYBS, which is wholly owned by the BBC, isn't on iPlayer.

Maybe they need space to show Nelson Mandela documentaries?
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,924
    Forum Member
    I had a few days off work last week so watched Tuesday's and Wednesday's episodes and they were still so good after all these years. John Inman was a comic genius.

The episode that really sticks out in my mind was when Mr Spooner attempted to be a popstar and I think that was the final ever episode.

I hope we will get one of the Christmas specials aired soon.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred the earlier series, as it goes on it gets more outrageous to the point of being ridiculous and harder to genuinely laugh at.

Agreed: plus they recycled a number of storylines from earlier series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I've been enjoying watching the repeats - I'd only seen the ocassional repeat in the past, not the whole show (since I was born just before it finished in the 80s). I think last Fridays episode was one of the most outrageous ones with Mr. Humphries in the boxing ring (or was it wrestling? didn't he say he had previously only been interested in wrestling? I wonder why(!)). Some of the innuendo is a bit, over the top i guess. I'm surprised Mr. Lucas hadn't been sacked or more seriously reprimanded for some of the scathing things he said to Mrs. Slocombe. I didn't know his character left the show, he's one of the main characters so that must have made a difference to it.

It was definitely wrestling as his opponent, Mr Franco from Sports was played by Jackie Pallo, a famous "wrestler"
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Friday's episode was great fun. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing is getting desperate and lazy in the later series, relying too much on pratfalls and pies in the face.
    The painting and decorators episode yesterday would have made The Chuckle Brothers wince with embarassment .

Well it habeen going for at least a good 10 years. Thats the problem with comedys that run for too long they get crap.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it habeen going for at least a good 10 years. Thats the problem with comedys that run for too long they get crap.

They only had to write 6 or 7 episodes a year in those days.

AYBS would only be equal to 2 US seasons now.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It was definitely wrestling as his opponent, Mr Franco from Sports was played by Jackie Pallo, a famous "wrestler"

Ok, thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Comedies should have a unwritten rule about no more than 4 series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most are on utube complete
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It still went on for too long. It should have ended after the fifth or sixth series in my opinion. The new cast additions post Mr. Grainger leaving just didn't really work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still went on for too long. It should have ended after the fifth or sixth series in my opinion. The new cast additions post Mr. Grainger leaving just didn't really work.

Or the spin off.

Kind of the same way I feel Hi de hi went.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or the spin off.

Speaking of which I wonder if BBC2 will be showing Grace and Favour after they've done the complete run of AYBS
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Speaking of which I wonder if BBC2 will be showing Grace and Favour after they've done the complete run of AYBS

That was quite a good follow-up. What was that rude-sounding name one of the male characters had in that? I can't quite remember now.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was quite a good follow-up. What was that rude-sounding name one of the male characters had in that? I can't quite remember now.

Mr Moleturd ? BIzarre choice of characterisation. Oud and unpleasant with no humour, and played at full volume by some old ham.