Options

Why SHOULDNT you refer to someone thats fat as fat?!

Comments

• Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that we are instinctively put off by fat people.

Are we disgusted by their perceived greed? Or is it just that they're so unattractive.

There's hardly any other physical trait that puts people off so much as fat.

Who does the "We" refer to?

I expect its the same "We" who stare at disabled, old , ill thin, etc people in disgust.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    People don't see being called skinny as an insult. My daughter is thin (by choice) and people constantly say to her "oh aren't you skinny" or "You should eat more cakes". They wouldn't say to a fat person "oh aren't you fat" or "You should eat less cakes".

I think it depends on the individual with that.
    My girl is very slim and tall, when she was a teenager she was called skinny and lanky.
    She did not like either term and got offended by them.
    Then again the ones who called her that probably meant the words to be nasty.
    Being called slim is a much nicer word I feel.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Matey boy off Austin Powers doesn't seem to care :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the same reason you don't tell someone who's ugly, that they're ugly. It's rude.

But that's a bit different, though. Beauty is completely subjective, so one persons definition of ugly will differ from one person to the next. There's much less subjectivity around weight and BMI - if a person is fat or obese, then they're fat or obese....however, that doesn't stop them being attractive, though.....because, although they're fat, some people will view their size as an attractive feature. Being large doesn't and shouldn't have to be such a negative thing.

It's strange that there is such a negative stigma surrounding large people, whereas saying a person is skinny is seemingly okay. Maybe it's the actual word itself, "fat". When I say it to myself, it does naturally sound quite aggressive/sneering, with the rather caustic "T" sound on the end....maybe that's why its use is surrounded by such negativity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Matey boy off Austin Powers doesn't seem to care :D

Oh he did.

"I eat 'cos Im unhappy. I'm unhappy 'cos I eat."
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the individual with that.
    My girl is very slim and tall, when she was a teenager she was called skinny and lanky.
    She did not like either term and got offended by them.
    Then again the ones who called her that probably meant the words to be nasty.
    Being called slim is a much nicer word I feel.

I have been trying to think in what context I would need to say to someone they are fat or thin and failed to come up with one example. And describing to someone else I have used the words, the big guy or the slight lady etc. Hopefully neither would offend anyone. But it doesn't take much to think of other words that don't hurt.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    But that's a bit different, though. Beauty is completely subjective, so one persons definition of ugly will differ from one person to the next. There's much less subjectivity around weight and BMI - if a person is fat or obese, then they're fat or obese....however, that doesn't stop them being attractive, though.....because, although they're fat, some people will view their size as an attractive feature. Being large doesn't and shouldn't have to be such a negative thing.

It's strange that there is such a negative stigma surrounding large people, whereas saying a person is skinny is seemingly okay. Maybe it's the actual word itself, "fat". When I say it to myself, it does naturally sound quite aggressive/sneering, with the rather caustic "T" sound on the end....maybe that's why its use is surrounded by such negativity?

BIB Its the same with "fat" though, some will think someone is fat while someone else will think that person a perfect size.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have been trying to think in what context I would need to say to someone they are fat or thin and failed to come up with one example. And describing to someone else I have used the words, the big guy or the slight lady etc. Hopefully neither would offend anyone. But it doesn't take much to think of other words that don't hurt.

It can be difficult at times to know what to say at all :)
    What offends one person would not offend the next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB Its the same with "fat" though, some will think someone is fat while someone else will think that person a perfect size.

This is the thing though, you're viewing the word fat as a wholly negative thing when it doesn't have to be - if something is fat, fatty, full fat, etc., that's okay. People can be fat, but attractive at the same time. People can eat fatty food and enjoy it at the same time and yes, there's always a time for full-fat coke!
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »

>>>>>>

We have a small and very rotund lady customer whose name we sometimes forget so my son simply informs us that the barrel lady had called.
  • Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who does the "We" refer to?

I expect its the same "We" who stare at disabled, old , ill thin, etc people in disgust.

"We" must refer to people who don't pretend they are something other than they are.

Or have you somehow overridden your genetic programming and find fat people as attractive as healthy people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We" must refer to people who don't pretend they are something other than they are.

Or have you somehow overridden your genetic programming and find fat people as attractive as healthy people?

My "fat" wife has done a triathlon, a marathon and several half-marathons and 10kers. Her slim husband (me) wheezes when he does a gentle jog for a few minutes.

Suffice to say, judging a persons health by their size is a bit ignorant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My "fat" wife has done a triathlon, a marathon and several half-marathons and 10kers. Her slim husband (me) wheezes when he does a gentle jog for a few minutes.

Suffice to say, judging a persons health by their size is a bit ignorant.

No it's not.

People who are fat are less healthy than people who are not fat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not.

So, how come I can't do triathlons, marathons, etc.?
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that we are instinctively put off by fat people.

Are we disgusted by their perceived greed? Or is it just that they're so unattractive.

There's hardly any other physical trait that puts people off so much as fat.

Speak for yourself. Many people aren't. In fact some people prefer to date 'fat' people. Why would they do that if they find them unattractive?
    In addition, there is another group of people who don't really have an opinion on other people's sizes.I myself come into that category and I'm sure plenty of other people do too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, how come I can't do triathlons, marathons, etc.?

I have no idea, how could I possibly know?

Are you trying to say that it's because your wife is fat?
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not.

Weight is just one factor.Other factors include smoking/drinking alcohol, diet, amount and type of exercise.
    So a 'fat' person who doesn't smoke/drink etc may well be healthier than a thin person who does.
    But then, I'm sure you already know all this but you just like trolling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. Many people aren't. In fact some people prefer to date 'fat' people. Why would they do that if they find them unattractive?
    In addition, there is another group of people who don't really have an opinion on other people's sizes.I myself come into that category and I'm sure plenty of other people do too.

Wow, I've ruffled a few feathers.

I'm speaking from my experience, and appreciate that not everyone will agree.

From what I know, people date fat people because they themselves are not attractive and have to settle. Of course I know there are "chubby chasers" in the world.

And I call BS on your "I don't judge on size". It's instinctive and entirely natural to find fat people less desirable. The laws of attraction ensure that we seek out the most suitable mates who will make the best breeders.

Sorry to reduce it to that level, but it's evolution, survival of the fittest etc. I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong, but fat people are less attractive and I'm sorry but that's a hard truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Weight is just one factor.Other factors include smoking/drinking alcohol, diet, amount and type of exercise.
    So a 'fat' person who doesn't smoke/drink etc may well be healthier than a thin person who does.
    But then, I'm sure you already know all this but you just like trolling.

I agree entirely with what you are saying.

Would you agree though, that all other things being equal, a fat person would be less healthy than a person with a healthy range BMI?

Also, please refrain from personal attacks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, how could I possibly know?

Are you trying to say that it's because your wife is fat?

Exactly, because you can't possibly know why my wife is fitter than I am, I'm staggered that you exclaim with such conviction that fat people are not as healthy as slim people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, because you can't possibly know why my wife is fitter than I am, I'm staggered that you exclaim with such conviction that fat people are not as healthy as slim people.

I'm astonished that you would believe otherwise.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Obesity/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I don't see any NHS warnings to slim people. Do you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astonished that you would believe otherwise.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Obesity/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I don't see any NHS warnings to slim people. Do you?

Awesome. What you've done there is pick an extreme form of fat and applied it to everyone considered fat (i.e. obesity as opposed to just being overweight). I could go the opposite way and post health risks for those suffering from anorexia...

In your eyes, would a smoker, who attends the gym 3 times a week, didn't drink, played football, good diet, etc. be unhealthier than someone who didn't smoke, didn't exercise, ate junk food, etc.?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Wow, I've ruffled a few feathers.

I'm speaking from my experience, and appreciate that not everyone will agree.

From what I know, people date fat people because they themselves are not attractive and have to settle. Of course I know there are "chubby chasers" in the world.

And I call BS on your "I don't judge on size". It's instinctive and entirely natural to find fat people less desirable. The laws of attraction ensure that we seek out the most suitable mates who will make the best breeders.

Sorry to reduce it to that level, but it's evolution, survival of the fittest etc. I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong, but fat people are less attractive and I'm sorry but that's a hard truth.

You haven't ruffled any feathers.

You're just talking absolute nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome. What you've done there is pick an extreme form of fat and applied it to everyone considered fat (i.e. obesity as opposed to just being overweight). I could go the opposite way and post health risks for those suffering from anorexia...

In your eyes, would a smoker, who attends the gym 3 times a week, didn't drink, played football, good diet, etc. be unhealthier than someone who didn't smoke, didn't exercise, ate junk food, etc.?

Well, I don't know. Which one of them is fatter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't ruffled any feathers.

You're just talking absolute nonsense.

Personal attacks without any debate. Well done.