Options

Why SHOULDNT you refer to someone thats fat as fat?!

Comments

• Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    I dont get it :confused:

...which would make you thick but, that wouldn't be very nice of me to say about you or to you.

And that is the very same reason why we shouldn't call people fat.

Do you get it yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't know. Which one of them is fatter?

They're both the same weight.

Any response to the rest of my post?
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    I dont get it, if its the truth then why cant you say someone is fat?

They know it, we know it, anyone with eyes would know it, so why is it such an offensive thing these days to say someone is fat?

Barring any medical issues causing it, then I dont see why you shouldnt be able to point it out. Its not bullying, its stating a fact! :confused:

>:(

I recall the time I "ruined" a dinner party when I sang "hey fatty boom boom" when a guest arrived.

Some people are waaaaaay too sensitive:cool:
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Personal attacks without any debate. Well done.

Where is there a 'personal' attack?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Awesome. What you've done there is pick an extreme form of fat and applied it to everyone considered fat (i.e. obesity as opposed to just being overweight). I could go the opposite way and post health risks for those suffering from anorexia...

In your eyes, would a smoker, who attends the gym 3 times a week, didn't drink, played football, good diet, etc. be unhealthier than someone who didn't smoke, didn't exercise, ate junk food, etc.?

Obesity really isn't an extreme form of fat in the UK anymore, with nearly a quarter of the population falling into the category. Anorexia is only a slight fraction of that . Super morbidly obese would be a fairer comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humdrummer wrote: »
    ...which would make you thick but, that wouldn't be very nice of me to say about you or to you.

And that is the very same reason why we shouldn't call people fat.

Do you get it yet?

But why?

"You're skinny" = okay
    "You're fat" = not okay

Surely this is wrong? Surely, the context and intent of what is being said should be taken into consideration before jumping into the "I'm offended" stance?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astonished that you would believe otherwise.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Obesity/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I don't see any NHS warnings to slim people. Do you?

No and they are wrong on many other things too, diabetes advice is wrong for many of us and their diet advice made me fatter so don't believe everything they tell you.
  • Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're both the same weight.

Any response to the rest of my post?

Not really. You're obviously not willing to face the fact that fat people are a) less attractive and b) less healthy due to the fact that they are fat.

You can argue until the cows come home but it won't change reality. I suspect you even know this but some sort of pride is getting in the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But why?

"You're skinny" = okay
    "You're fat" = not okay

Surely this is wrong? Surely, the context and intent of what is being said should be taken into consideration before jumping into the "I'm offended" stance?

Anyone who tells someone to their face that they're skinny OR fat, is just being very rude, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    No and they are wrong on many other things too, diabetes advice is wrong for many of us and their diet advice made me fatter so don't believe everything they tell you.

Is your assertion that being fat is as healthy as being within a healthy weight range?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obesity really isn't an extreme form of fat in the UK anymore, with nearly a quarter of the population falling into the category. Anorexia is only a slight fraction of that . Super morbidly obese would be a fairer comparison.

Well, obesity describes those who're considered "very overweight". FrightfulBoar seems to be implying that all fat people are obese.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who tells someone to their face that they're skinny OR fat, is just being very rude, in my opinion.

Why? What words should they use then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personal attacks without any debate. Well done.

I'll ask again - where is there any PERSONAL attack in me telling you you're talking absolute nonsense? Maybe I'll add that you're a frightful 'boar' too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why would you need to inform someone that they are either fat or thin? I'm sure they are well aware of it, without your opinion.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Silence is golden!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, obesity describes those who're considered "very overweight". FrightfulBoar seems to be implying that all fat people are obese.

Nobody can "seem" to imply anything, that makes no sense.

What I am saying outright is that fat people are a) less attractive and b) less healthy that their average weight counterparts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll ask again - where is there any PERSONAL attack in me telling you you're talking absolute nonsense? Maybe I'll add that you're a frightful 'boar' too.

That pun is implicit in my username, but thanks for pointing it out. Although I think you mean "bore" :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. You're obviously not willing to face the fact that fat people are a) less attractive and b) less healthy due to the fact that they are fat.

You can argue until the cows come home but it won't change reality. I suspect you even know this but some sort of pride is getting in the way.

You have no evidence to support your claim....well, other than posting a link to the risks associated with obesity.

Your carte blanche approach to calling all fat people unattractive and unhealthy is not reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you need to inform someone that they are either fat or thin? I'm sure they are well aware of it, without your opinion.

In a conversation about weight/health.

What words would you use then? Why does it automatically have to be offensive to use the words "fat" and "skinny"? Why can't context, tone and intent be considered?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That pun is implicit in my username, but thanks for pointing it out. Although I think you mean "bore" :)

I know what I meant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have no evidence to support your claim....well, other than posting a link to the risks associated with obesity.

Your carte blanche approach to calling all fat people unattractive and unhealthy is not reality.

Gilbertoo. Please stick to the facts. I've said they are "less" attractive and "less" healthy. Not unattractive and unhealthy.

And it's not a claim, it's reality.

Do you honestly believe fat people are as attractive and healthy as people within a healthy weight range?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a conversation about weight/health.

What words would you use then? Why does it automatically have to be offensive to use the words "fat" and "skinny"? Why can't context, tone and intent be considered?

How about 'overweight' and 'underweight', for a start?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your assertion that being fat is as healthy as being within a healthy weight range?

It's not a black and white thing is what I am saying some larger people are very fit and attractive, some thinner people are very fit and attractive. And some thinner or fatter people are unfit and or unattractive.

Personally I find people who find they need to call anyone fat or thin or any other label fairly unattractive, that inner beauty people who don't judge people gets seems missing in them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Because it's rude and disrespectful. You might hurt someone's feelings or the person might react violently and you could end up with a black eye. Honestly, this is stuff we all learned as a child. At least those with a decent upbringing did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody can "seem" to imply anything, that makes no sense.

What I am saying outright is that fat people are a) less attractive and b) less healthy that their average weight counterparts.

When you feel the need to start critiquing the grammatical structure of an FMs post, you're probably losing the argument.