Options

What puppy to get. Advice needed.

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would love to get a puppy but have a few problems that I need to work around.

I have lung problems so it needs to be a very small breed that does not need long runs all the time and would be happy with gentle walks and games of fetch... Non moulting ( or very little).

I dont want a breed that is highly strung, as it will be coming with me three times a week to my daughters for the day. She has a dog and children. I would like a breed that is very social and not to vocal ;-) and isnt to bothered about changes as I would like to take up camping and we would be taking off for weekends/weeks as and when I feel like it.

What type of breed would you suggest if any?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Most small breeds need plenty of exercise, it's a myth that they don't. In fact my experience of small breeds such as jr etc seems to be that they take more tiring out!

As for your other requirements, that's mostly down to the individual dog, and not something you'd know as a pup. It sounds to me like you don't want a dog, but you want a robot that will fit into your life-which no dog will do.

Is certainly not be thinking of a puppy, and in all honesty judging by you I trial post I'd be rethinking a dog, do you realise how much time, effort and paitience is needed for a dog, let alone a puppy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Most small breeds need plenty of exercise, it's a myth that they don't. In fact my experience of small breeds such as jr etc seems to be that they take more tiring out!

As for your other requirements, that's mostly down to the individual dog, and not something you'd know as a pup. It sounds to me like you don't want a dog, but you want a robot that will fit into your life-which no dog will do.

Is certainly not be thinking of a puppy, and in all honesty judging by you I trial post I'd be rethinking a dog, do you realise how much time, effort and paitience is needed for a dog, let alone a puppy.

Yes I do know how much of everything is needed.

I normally get my animals from rescue places but as my needs are now different I cant just do that.

I do not consider a JR a small breed I would say more small to medium. I know a JR would need a lot more exorcise than I can do, so a JR or JR cross would not have entered my list.

I do not want a robot I just need a small/tiny breed that isnt highly strung and is easy to get along with . Nothing wrong in asking for advice on the temperaments of some small breeds. I have only had large breeds before and some breeds are very well known for certain traits. :confused:

Most of you last paragraph didn't make any sense?
  • Options
    PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I've recently acquired a West Highland White Terrier puppy and I'm exhausted after a month with her. Really I am. I love her so much and I want to do my best for her but I have to say, she really is hard work. She's tremendously energetic and very, very noisy and if that's typical of the breed, don't get one of those.

I'm hoping that with training (hers and mine) and as she grows, she'll calm down a bit, but in the meantime ..... :o
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

I normally get my animals from rescue places but as my needs are now different I cant just do that.

I do not consider a JR a small breed I would say more small to medium. I know a JR would need a lot more exorcise than I can do, so a JR or JR cross would not have entered my list.

I do not want a robot I just need a small/tiny breed that isnt highly strung and is easy to get along with . Nothing wrong in asking for advice on the temperaments of some small breeds. I have only had large breeds before and some breeds are very well known for certain traits. :confused:

Jack Russell's are far from medium they are on the lowest spectrum of small, so what you're saying is you want a miniature or tea cup thing then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently acquired a West Highland White Terrier puppy and I'm exhausted after a month with her. Really I am. I love her so much and I want to do my best for her but I have to say, she really is hard work. She's tremendously energetic and very, very noisy and if that's typical of the breed, don't get one of those.

I'm hoping that with training (hers and mine) and as she grows, she'll calm down a bit, but in the meantime ..... :o

Hahaha Awww She will calm down :)

Yes Westies and Scotties are also off my list as they are energetic and needs a lot of exorcise Im looking for something smaller that does not need loads of long walks. Just more gentle strolls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Jack Russell's are far from medium they are on the lowest spectrum of small, so what you're saying is you want a miniature or tea cup thing then

JR might be small in height but they are also a fairly stocky/ muscly dog that needs a lot of exorcise.

I dont know what I am looking for that is why I am asking here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Sorry I am on the iPad and must have typed too fast for it, so it made words up. It does that :mad:

What I was trying to say was that a puppy is probably not for you- if a dog at all- you'll never know if it's going to be happy, calm, excitable etc if you get it as a pup, and tbh the puppy years (yes years) are the worst, hardest and exhausting.

Jr is small- so you really want a tea cup breed, which are essentially small breeds bred to be smaller and smaller, causing all sorts of health issues. Even normal, non teacup chis aren't that much smaller than a jr or cavi, just smaller boned.

Either way- they will still need proper exercise, a pup will be super hyper, and most likely yappy as most small breeds are. Not all- like I said, individuality counts for an awful lot.

Again I question why you want a dog, if you have health issues that will compromise the care you can give it, it's not going to make it pleasurable for you or the dog.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had both a toy poodle and a cavalier king charles spaniel in the past and both were a delight..

The toy poodle, once he was an adult of course, was absolutley great with playing ball and we hardly ever felt that we needed to take him for a walk!, when we were going out we could just open the front door and he would toodle out to the car and get in no problems at all, and we had young children at the time and they all got on ok, and the plus thing for him is that poodles don't moult so no hair problems at all...

The cavalier king charles (although she was the runt of the litter, so not sure if that makes a difference)(?).... was another that got on absolutely great with young children, they are a bit like babies themselves though!... I know ours once jumped off the settee and gave a great big yelp and started limping about!, we took her to the vets who confirmed there was nothing wrong with her but did say that breed are like that and will cry at the slightest thing!... And when we used to take her for a walk we would only get down the road and she would start jumping up at your leg because she wanted to be carried!...so that i would think would suit you!.. although the downside of this breed is that they do moult, so don't know how important that is to you?...

Both delightful dogs who are sadly no longer with us but gave us many years of happiness.....

I hope this help a little bit?..........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Sorry I am on the iPad and must have typed too fast for it, so it made words up. It does that :mad:

What I was trying to say was that a puppy is probably not for you- if a dog at all- you'll never know if it's going to be happy, calm, excitable etc if you get it as a pup, and tbh the puppy years (yes years) are the worst, hardest and exhausting.

Jr is small- so you really want a tea cup breed, which are essentially small breeds bred to be smaller and smaller, causing all sorts of health issues. Even normal, non teacup chis aren't that much smaller than a jr or cavi, just smaller boned.

Either way- they will still need proper exercise, a pup will be super hyper, and most likely yappy as most small breeds are. Not all- like I said, individuality counts for an awful lot.

Again I question why you want a dog, if you have health issues that will compromise the care you can give it, it's not going to make it pleasurable for you or the dog.

Im not bed ridden and cant see why on earth you are making this out to be more of a problem than it is :confused:

The only thing I cannot do, is go for long walks. Not all dogs need long walks. I have a large garden and can also play fetch in the house or in the fields. I can take him or her for daily walks to exorcise and for social and mental health.

He or she will have a lovely life and wont be left home alone, they will travel with me and be part of my life.

I have had pups before I do know they are hard work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I have had both a toy poodle and a cavalier king charles spaniel in the past and both were a delight..

The toy poodle, once he was an adult of course, was absolutley great with playing ball and we hardly ever felt that we needed to take him for a walk!, when we were going out we could just open the front door and he would toodle out to the car and get in no problems at all, and we had young children at the time and they all got on ok, and the plus thing for him is that poodles don't moult so no hair problems at all...

The cavalier king charles (although she was the runt of the litter, so not sure if that makes a difference)(?).... was another that got on absolutely great with young children, they are a bit like babies themselves though!... I know ours once jumped off the settee and gave a great big yelp and started limping about!, we took her to the vets who confirmed there was nothing wrong with her but did say that breed are like that and will cry at the slightest thing!... And when we used to take her for a walk we would only get down the road and she would start jumping up at your leg because she wanted to be carried!...so that i would think would suit you!.. although the downside of this breed is that they do moult, so don't know how important that is to you?...

Both delightful dogs who are sadly no longer with us but gave us many years of happiness.....

I hope this help a little bit
    ?..........

Yes it did, Thank you very much.
    I remember as a child having a poodle and he was very clever. I shall look into what the breed is like. :)

Im not keen on the KC as my freind has always had them and all hers had something happen to their brain. :( Plus the fur would be a problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miniature Schnautzer.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniatureschnauzer.htm

If I was at home all day that's what I'd have.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Typical of terriers, I'm afraid. My Lakeland bitch has just started to calm down a bit, and she's 7. My boy is still very noisy, and he's nearly 13.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best dogs for not needing long walks are whippets and greyhounds. They are couch potatoes, and if they get a good sprint round a field for 20 minutes once or twice a day they will happily take to their beds for the rest of the time. Whippets particularly hate bad weather and will not be keen on going out in the wet/snow/cold, which is a bonus! Their very short coats need no care worth speaking of and they don't get smelly. Lack of hair may also be a boon if you have a lung problem. Both are great with kids and generally pretty laid back.

Any hounds, terriers or gundogs will almost certainly not meet your requirements in terms of exercise. Even miniature dachshunds (cracking little dogs, imo) need a good run and love to hunt.

I'd avoid cavaliers because they are so prone to health problems.

Miniature poodles are lovely, and not as wussy as one might think. They're very bright and easy to train. There are several very pretty breeds of fluffy little white dogs (google Havanese, Bolognese, Coton de Tulear) which seem very good fun but not hard work. I was very taken with a litter of Coton de Tulear puppies I met at Crufts, they were very game and seemed to have lovely natures, but I don't know what they're like with kids.

It's a shame a greyhound would probably be too big for you, they make wonderful pets and are terrifically laid back, until they see something small and furry. And there are ex-racers that desperately need good homes.

Hope you find a nice pup, and I'm really glad that you're doing your homework on what breed would be best for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JR might be small in height but they are also a fairly stocky/ muscly dog that needs a lot of exorcise.

I dont know what I am looking for that is why I am asking here.

Dogs do not come much smaller they are not particularly stocky or muscly they are no bigger than poms smaller than papillions, smaller than cavies, westies, ladies etc, if you want fine boned then it will be something like a chi or miniature version or tea cup all of which could be saddled with health problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miniature Schnautzer.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniatureschnauzer.htm

If I was at home all day that's what I'd have.

They need daily long walks or jogs. Lovely dog though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    The best dogs for not needing long walks are whippets and greyhounds. They are couch potatoes, and if they get a good sprint round a field for 20 minutes once or twice a day they will happily take to their beds for the rest of the time. Whippets particularly hate bad weather and will not be keen on going out in the wet/snow/cold, which is a bonus! Their very short coats need no care worth speaking of and they don't get smelly. Lack of hair may also be a boon if you have a lung problem. Both are great with kids and generally pretty laid back.

Any hounds, terriers or gundogs will almost certainly not meet your requirements in terms of exercise. Even miniature dachshunds (cracking little dogs, imo) need a good run and love to hunt.

I'd avoid cavaliers because they are so prone to health problems.

Miniature poodles are lovely, and not as wussy as one might think. They're very bright and easy to train. There are several very pretty breeds of fluffy little white dogs (google Havanese, Bolognese, Coton de Tulear) which seem very good fun but not hard work. I was very taken with a litter of Coton de Tulear puppies I met at Crufts, they were very game and seemed to have lovely natures, but I don't know what they're like with kids.

It's a shame a greyhound would probably be too big for you, they make wonderful pets and are terrifically laid back, until they see something small and furry. And there are ex-racers that desperately need good homes.

Hope you find a nice pup, and I'm really glad that you're doing your homework on what breed would be best for you.

I love greyhounds, so majestic. but yes to big for me as I only have a one bed bungalow and they will hog the sofa :D I will look into those other breeds :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need daily long walks or jogs. Lovely dog though.

They do well off the leash so you don't need to jog with them. I'm not suggesting you open your front door and let them roam free all the same. :D

In my experience, they don't need that much exercise. Not more than would benefit humans any way. I'd love one. They'll be my retirement dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs do not come much smaller they are not particularly stocky or muscly they are no bigger than poms smaller than papillions, smaller than cavies, westies, ladies etc, if you want fine boned then it will be something like a chi or miniature version or tea cup all of which could be saddled with health problems.

Depends on how you are thinking of a breed. next doors JR jumped up at me and knocked me over, my daughters Bichon frise is bigger but as light as a feather. So to me JR are/ can be fairly strong dogs.

Anyway I dont know why we are getting hung up on what is small or what isnt and what a JR is, as I have no intention of getting a JR or any dog that needs as much exorcise as a JR does.

Im not sure about teacup breeds as I would worry I would step on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a jack russell and a cavalier. I also walk my neighbours dog a whippet. Another neighbour has a westie and two bischon as well. Does your daughters dog dislike any breeds ie does she like big or small dogs as you will have too consider this. Maybe a pug or a chihuahua but it depends on how much you want too spend. Have yo unthought about an older puppy rescues after Christmas will have quiet a few as they tend too get abandond at christmas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Depends on how you are thinking of a breed. next doors JR jumped up at me and knocked me over, my daughters Bichon frise is bigger but as light as a feather. So to me JR are/ can be fairly strong dogs.

Anyway I dont know why we are getting hung up on what is small or what isnt and what a JR is, as I have no intention of getting a JR or any dog that needs as much exorcise as a JR does.

Im not sure about teacup breeds as I would worry I would step on it.

Because you said small so to establish a breed we have to figure out your definition of small that's obvious surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I have a jack russell and a cavalier. I also walk my neighbours dog a whippet. Another neighbour has a westie and two bischon as well. Does your daughters dog dislike any breeds ie does she like big or small dogs as you will have too consider this. Maybe a pug or a chihuahua but it depends on how much you want too spend. Have yo unthought about an older puppy rescues after Christmas will have quiet a few as they tend too get abandond at christmas

My daughter's dog gets on with all dogs very gentle and loving dog :)

Once I have established the breeds that will be suitable for me then I will keep my eye open on the rescue groups :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you said small so to establish a breed we have to figure out your definition of small that's obvious surely.

My OP said "needs to be a very small breed that does not need long runs all the time and would be happy with gentle walks"
    That rules out the JF from the off.
    I dont even know why the other person even said about JR as I have asked about suitable breeds not unsuitable breeds.

Can we please forget about JR now?
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take issue with the fact that there won't be dog for you in a rescue. There are hundreds, thousands of dogs in rescue of all breeds including breed specific rescue, including greyhounds and whippets.

Please do consider your options again and at least make an effort to look contact them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I take issue with the fact that there won't be dog for you in a rescue. There are hundreds, thousands of dogs in rescue of all breeds including breed specific rescue, including greyhounds and whippets.

Please do consider your options again and at least make an effort to look contact them.

I have already said I will look in the rescues. But I expect finding one to suit my needs will be hard. I want a pup or very young dog so it gets used to my way of life as the norm. A lot of rescue dogs will not like being taken out all day to another house with a dog and children living half the week in one house the other half in another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love greyhounds, so majestic. but yes to big for me as I only have a one bed bungalow and they will hog the sofa :D I will look into those other breeds :)

Whippets are just as nice and curl up small. They don't hog the sofa because they are usually on your lap. :D

Or you could consider an Italian Greyhound, like a whippet but still smaller. They're very sweet.

My next dog will be a whippet or a whippet-sized lurcher type (Bedlington x whippet wuld be fab).