Options

Cost of a funeral?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very sadly my father passed away on friday morning, and we shall be dealing with his funeral soon, but i was hoping i could get an idea of how much they actually charge for funerals (cremation) and other bits-such as a viewing, out of hours collection of the deceased, coffin, ashes casket ect.

my parents have nothing in place and have very little money, so i would like to know what sort of cost i should be expecting-non of the funeral companys seem to have any prices for anything online,so i cant get any idea what to expect.

I understand that the fancier the funeral the more expensive it will be.

Comments

• Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. The link below has quite a bit of useful information, including average costs:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-much-does-a-funeral-cost

Best wishes.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

I have no idea but I know it's not cheap and I'm looking forward to reading the responses.

Good thread and important.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for you loss.

Funerals can vary wildly. This might be some help: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/payingforafuneral.pdf
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear your sad news zombie.
    The last one I paid for was around the £2000 mark, but that was 3 years ago now.
    That was a cremation with no service (at request) and a no frills at all coffin.
    Things can add up very easily.
    All the best to you.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss, zombie. That article via Scaramouche's link is fantastic. I wish I knew about that article when I did some research for a friend a while back.
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A basic cremation service with one car plus the hearse. Roughly £3k.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    My Grandad's funeral cost £3500 which included coffin, cremation, short service, hearse and two limousines. Flowers etc were extra as was the box that the ashes will eventually go in.