Options

Kate Winslet names new son Bear

Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I used to love Kate but since her Oscar win she seems to have really changed.

I also hate people giving "out there" names to a child. The kid has to live with that until they are at least 18. Do the parents not ever think about how having an off the wall name might affect their child. Okay, so in celebrity circles weird names are all the rage but I still think it's cruel. This reminds me of Jamie Oliver, who has called his kids Daisy Boo and Buddy Bear. Just horrible.

Comments

• Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor child will forever be known as Bear RocknRoll. ridiculous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bear will probably do a Zowie Bowie...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard she's not used RocknRoll for his surname, so that's something at least. But still, Bear? What's wrong with these celebrities?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's hope!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a bit disappointing that Kate hasn't gone for a more normal name this time but it could be worse.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard she's not used RocknRoll for his surname, so that's something at least. But still, Bear? What's wrong with these celebrities?

Teddy Bear might have been better.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it :blush:
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm always amazed at how normal, polite and nice Duncan Jones seems to be.

Maybe it's the mirror image of tearaway teenagers rebelling against their straight-laced parents.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with some of the film stars and these ridiculous names that they give to their kids? It's like some celebrities want to go one better and name their child the most ridiculous thing they can think of. It might be a trend to them, but their child will have to live with that name for the rest of their life. Unless, of course, they decide to get their name legally changed.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member

They are selfish, self indulgent idiots, and lumbering their poor kids with these ridiculous names is another form of child abuse, and could scar them for life. :(
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear!

Perhaps she will at least bestow the kid a decent middle name, so he can use that when he's older!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are selfish, self indulgent idiots, and lumbering their poor kids with these ridiculous names is another form of child abuse, and could scar them for life. :(

This.

It's also like they all try and out-do each other with the most "unique" name. Such a load of nonsense.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These kind of names are briefly 'cute' until they're about two - but not great for an awkward teenager or middle-aged bloke by the name of Bear!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    These kind of names are briefly 'cute' until they're about two - but not great for an awkward teenager or middle-aged bloke by the name of Bear!!

Oh I don't know, hasn't done Bear Grylls any harm :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Oh I don't know, hasn't done Bear Grylls any harm :D

his name is Edward - Bear is his nickname.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    his name is Edward - Bear is his nickname.

I know, hence the smilie.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It will save time if he grows up to be hairy and gay.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't have expected this from Kate "normal mum" Winslet, especially since her other children have normal names. Maybe Mr. Rocknroll's influence has rubbed off on her.

All she needs to do now is have another child and name it after a fruit, and her celebrity credentials will be complete.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Squatch wrote: »
    Wouldn't have expected this from Kate "normal mum" Winslet, especially since her other children have normal names. Maybe Mr. Rocknroll's influence has rubbed off on her.

All she needs to do now is have another child and name it after a fruit, and her celebrity credentials will be complete.

Perhaps it was a compromise? She got the pick the surname, he got the first name? I think the kid got off lightly when you consider the father's surname...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »

I can imagine any interviewer trying to keep a straight face when interviewing Kate's child if they've chosen the same career path as her. She's just stupid.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I love the name Bear......for a dog
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, the child won't be in a "normal" school and he will probably have friends who also have unusual names. It's not like the normal Joe Bloggs naming their child Bear which would probably be a bit cruel.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was bad enough when Jamie Oliver gave his youngest son Bear as a middle name!
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    Better than Bear Arse I suppose!
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Let's face it, the child won't be in a "normal" school and he will probably have friends who also have unusual names. It's not like the normal Joe Bloggs naming their child Bear which would probably be a bit cruel.
    This is true! Its classmates will have names like Rhino, Hippo, Polar, Grizz, Tiger-Muffin, Duck-Bill, Greaty-Horny-Toad - so Bear will seem like quite a down-to-earth name in its circles. In fact - Katie Hopkins might say it was almost Chavvy!