Options

Inheritance question

highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
If you have been estranged from a parent since childhood, and they go on to remarry and have other kids, are you entitled to claim any of their inheritance when they pass on?

Comments

• Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    If you have been estranged from a parent since childhood, and they go on to remarry and have other kids, are you entitled to claim any of their inheritance when they pass on?

Is the 'legal' Spouse of your estranged parent still alive?

Are they both still alive and you just want a hypothetical answer?

You will need to supply specifics for a definitive answer.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,924
    Forum Member
    ...and was/is there a will?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what country was the parent living in? In Scotland you can't completely disinherit any of your children (or spouse).
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    And what country was the parent living in? In Scotland you can't completely disinherit any of your children (or spouse).

The situation in Spain is even worse, where the law lays down what proportion you must leave each child. However, Spanish law excludes ex-pats from this, saying they fall under the law of their own country. Unfortunately, UK law says they fall under the law of the country they're living in.

That's not relevant, hopefully.

The main question is, is there a will?

If there is, does the OP feel they have grounds for contesting it? (Assuming the OP isn't included)

To be honest, I feel the OP would get the best advice by going to a solicitor, and laying all the facts before them.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are estranged, what gives you the right to anything? Unless the estrangement is not of your doing.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    If you are estranged, what gives you the right to anything? Unless the estrangement is not of your doing.

In this case 'estranged' just means ‘living apart’.

It doesn’t alter a ‘legal’ entitlement; if there is one.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In England and assuming there was a will that excluded you, the normal grounds giving you legal entitlement would be that you were financially dependent on the deceased at the time. You couldn't then be cut off. However if you are talking about a long term estrangement, that is unlikely to apply.

Then there could be a challenge to the validity of the will. If that resulted in the will being completely struck out, intestacy rules would come into play. That would give a large chunk to the legal spouse but some might be left over to be divided between all the blood children.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered this as my husband and his daughter been estranged since she was very young - mother being a bitch, then as mother relented and child got older, child didn't want to know no matter how much he has tried.

We haven't got a will, and should we both die, I would want our inheritance to go to our nieces. Call me nasty if you will but I wouldn't want some woman I don't hardly know suddenly showing an interest and claiming a stake on everything we have worked for, just because she is his daughter.

So if we got a will drawn up putting the inheritance totally to our nieces, would her claim as direct descendant mean anything?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if we got a will drawn up putting the inheritance totally to our nieces, would her claim as direct descendant mean anything?

Possibly. Among the people who can contest a will are:

"...any person (not being a child of the deceased) who, in the case of any marriage to which the deceased was at any time a party, was treated by the deceased as a child of the family in relation to that marriage;..."

Perhaps you should spend most of your money, or gift it gradually to the nieces, if you don't want her to get it or to contest the will.
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    This is such a mine field your best bet would be to consult a solicitor but before you do ask around friends/family/neighbours to ensure you get a solicitor who specislizes in this field.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Depends if there's a will or not.
    If there's a will, whoever is executor carries out the wishes of the deceased as written in the will - the have to, by law.
    If there is no will, this means the state decides how the estate is split. The spouse gets everything upto the value of £250,000 - regardless the deceased wishes.

This is why wills are so important.
    I've often wondered this as my husband and his daughter been estranged since she was very young - mother being a bitch, then as mother relented and child got older, child didn't want to know no matter how much he has tried.

We haven't got a will, and should we both die, I would want our inheritance to go to our nieces. Call me nasty if you will but I wouldn't want some woman I don't hardly know suddenly showing an interest and claiming a stake on everything we have worked for, just because she is his daughter.

My advice would be to make a will. Everyone should have one. If you don't, your estate will be divided as the state sees fit. Spouses come first as they are made automatic next of kin.

If you don't have a will things can get very complicated and very messy later on - especially when there's family feuds, second families and relatives after money. Things go a lot smoother when there's a will as it's your wishes and your wishes alone. It's also better if the executor is someone who's not a friend or relative, i.e. a solicitor or bank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to some of the replies needing more info, my father left my mum when I was about six and thereafter didn't pay any maintenance (apparently in exchange for my mum getting full rights) nor did he even really try to keep in touch bar a few letters and cards, which stopped in my teens.

He isn't likely to die any time soon I'd imagine, but I'm just curious as to where I would stand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In response to some of the replies needing more info, my father left my mum when I was about six and thereafter didn't pay any maintenance (apparently in exchange for my mum getting full rights) nor did he even really try to keep in touch bar a few letters and cards, which stopped in my teens.

He isn't likely to die any time soon I'd imagine, but I'm just curious as to where I would stand.

It really does depend on whether there is a will or not.

If there is a will, his entire estate will be divided up exactly as it says in the will. You getting part of that depends on if you are included in the will.

If there is no will, the estate will go to probate and if the estate is worth £250,000 or less, the entire estate will go to his current wife.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/if-the-person-didnt-leave-a-will
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if they have made a will and left you out and hopefully they have as you only seem to want their money :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Not if they have made a will and left you out and hopefully they have as you only seem to want their money :cool:

I'm entitled to the money cos the phuking rat walked out on me with no contact, so I will make sure I get it. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm entitled to the money cos the phuking rat walked out on me with no contact, so I will make sure I get it. :cool:

You are not "entitled" to anything at all.

It's your dad's money, property and estate, not yours. It's upto him and him alone what he does with it.

You want money? Go and earn it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    You are not "entitled" to anything at all.

It's your dad's money, property and estate, not yours. It's upto him and him alone what he does with it.

You want money? Go and earn it.

I earn money well enough thanks. I'm a graduate which is more than he ever achieved. If you think it's ok to abandon all responsibility for your children fair enough, I am merely looking for advice not your cretinous trolling.:p
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member

You are not entitled to anything, if anything it is your mother who was entitled to child support.

However seeing as you were only 6 then how on earth could you know what exactly happened, and what was agreed between your parents?

You said your father gave up custody rights in exchange for not paying maintanence, which would indicate he wanted custody at some point?
    But the fact is your mother made this agreement with him, and the agreement is that he does not pay YOU or your mother any money, so I have no idea what money you think you are entitled to?

Who's to say your mother didn't tell him to sod off?

As someone else put it, why not think about earning your own money instead of thinking you're entitled to something you're not?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably worth getting in contact with him to hear his side of the story. You don't have to believe him, but I've known a few men over the years who claim to have been sidelined and eventually cutoff by their exes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I earn money well enough thanks. I'm a graduate which is more than he ever achieved. If you think it's ok to abandon all responsibility for your children fair enough, I am merely looking for advice not your cretinous trolling.:p

Which YOUR MOTHER agreed to according to you.

I think if anything your anger should be directed at your mum for agreeing to let him walk away, in exchange for having full custody.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Such lovely language.

I haven't been trolling at all. This is a subject I know quite a bit about (through experience).

I answered your question (twice). As I've said, it really does depend on if your dad has a will.

I'm really not fond of you sense of entitlement, bitterness or use of language though. You don't come across well at all in this thread.

Please feel free to point out where I'm "trolling" in this thread. I'll ignore the appalling, offensive language you used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother raised me on her own with mental health issues. The father would occassionally visit in my childhood and be well received, so he wasn't 'cut off'. He didn't send as much as a birthday card in my teens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Which YOUR MOTHER agreed to according to you.

I think if anything your anger should be directed at your mum for agreeing to let him walk away, in exchange for having full custody.

Lucky her. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your entitled to Nothing it has to be earnt. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My mother raised me on her own with mental health issues. The father would occassionally visit in my childhood and be well received, so he wasn't 'cut off'. He didn't send as much as a birthday card in my teens.

But she still agreed to not have any of his money, so its your mother's fault that your father didn't provide for you as a child.

You are blaming the wrong person.