Options

BBC 2 The Tractate Middoth & MR James

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
The Tractate Middoth
Those who like a little darkness at Christmas.
The chilling story of Dr Rant, whose wicked streak continues from beyond the grave. Based on the festive ghost story by MR James.
Radio 4 likes to air the odd bit of MR James and HP Lovecraft, usually in the Man in Black/Fear on Four strand.
Followed by MR James: Ghost Writer at 22:05
Mark Gatiss steps into the mind of MR James, the enigmatic English master of the supernatural story. How did this donnish Victorian bachelor, conservative by nature and a devout Anglican, come to create tales that continue to chill readers more than a century on?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Just us then :)
    Can't have been cheap, it looks lovely.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im watching, love a good ghost story :)
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghost stories = essential Xmas fare!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasty old man!
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just us then :)
    Can't have been cheap, it looks lovely.

Im watching.... been looking forward to it all day lol
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's meant to be scary ...right ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gift, that keeps on giving type story :)
    That looked handsome, very pleasant on the eye, might download that later.

Enjoyed that on a few levels.
    Nice seeing various 'faces' John Castle, Louise Jameson, Una Stubbs and Eleanor Bron.
    I've seen Charlie Clemmow in something before, as I remember her face, have to look her up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good yarn. The Gatiss documentary about MR James is interesting too.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Well maybe the nation was happy with that as a ghost story 100 years ago but I think they need to put a little more effort in these days.

The story told nothing of relevance of the book or why/how it is cursed.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it should have been an hour long, but i liked it. It scared me and was a good story.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice seeing various 'faces' John Castle, Louise Jameson, Una Stubbs and Eleanor Bron.
    I've seen Charlie Clemmow in something before, as I remember her face, have to look her up.

Doctors she is rob and Karens daughter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doctors she is rob and Karens daughter

Bloody hell, I didn't make the connection.
    She looked very cute tonight, lovely.
    Can't suffer her character in Doctors.

Oh Whistle I'll come was adapted this year with John Hurt, I don't remember it though, remember the Micheal Horden version vaguely, some of the shots ring a visual bell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 4 extra have a lot of mr James stories in their seventh dimension slot, I find horror much scarier on the radio
  • Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always great to have a ghost story on at christmas, especially one by MR James. Only criticism was that it could have been a bit longer (mainly because I enjoyed watching it so much - the actual narrative was paced well for 35 minutes.)

btw anyone who decided to watch what was advertised straight afterwards, the thirteenth tale, i HIGHLY recommend you read the book before watching the adaption, if you havent already. It's such a fantastic book and very satisfying to read, and also one of those books thats entirely different when you know certain things about it... I'd just hate for anyone to be robbed of the experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    Always great to have a ghost story on at christmas, especially one by MR James. Only criticism was that it could have been a bit longer (mainly because I enjoyed watching it so much - the actual narrative was paced well for 35 minutes.)

btw anyone who decided to watch what was advertised straight afterwards, the thirteenth tale, i HIGHLY recommend you read the book before watching the adaption, if you havent already. It's such a fantastic book and very satisfying to read, and also one of those books thats entirely different when you know certain things about it... I'd just hate for anyone to be robbed of the experience.

When is that on I loved the book?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the BBC feel like airing the 70's adaptations, I wouldn't have a problem watching them.
    Not sure what would be a good slot, about 10ish Sunday night BBC 2 or 4 would do nicely.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Monday 30th
  • Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 4 extra have a lot of mr James stories in their seventh dimension slot, I find horror much scarier on the radio

I listened to the adaption of whistle and i'll come to you my lad while i was in bed and actually couldn't sleep afterwards.

Already answered by someone else but man I hope it lives up to the book. It's only about an hour long I think... not to pre judge it but surely a mini series would have been so much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    I listened to the adaption of whistle and i'll come to you my lad while i was in bed and actually couldn't sleep afterwards.

Already answered by someone else but man I hope it lives up to the book. It's only about an hour long I think... not to pre judge it but surely a mini series would have been so much better.

Wow an hour that's not going to live up to the book is it :confused:
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the The Tractate Middoth was done in the 60s as an episode of Tales of Mystery and Imagination, it was terrifying; this one wasn't (probably just as well).
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC feel like airing the 70's adaptations, I wouldn't have a problem watching them.
    Not sure what would be a good slot, about 10ish Sunday night BBC 2 or 4 would do nicely.

Did you know that the British Film Institute have released a 6 disc DVD box set of the BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas? It has an additional disc to the 5 set from last year, so if you have that one it probably won't be worth it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stories-Christmas-Expanded-6-Disc-Collection/dp/B009XD7M2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388059067&sr=8-1&keywords=bbc+ghost+stories+for+christmas
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this. It was Christmas Day TV highlight - lovely story and well acted. Also enjoyed the documentary afterwards.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched this. I found it as camp as Christmas, which I suppose is appropriate. Not scary or creepy at all. The 70's dramas featured in the documentary looked a lot more scary and effective.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The young librarian's boss was played by Roy Barraclough ex of Coronation Street and who also appeared with Les Dawson in the Cissie and Ada sketches