Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am honestly so excited for this next album, I really really love the sound of it being very soulful with a throwback sound. Someone posted links to Forgiveness, You Bring Me Down and Mr Magic Touch a few days ago and today I remembered I Know Who I Am, and I honestly love all those songs so much so would love it if the album were in the vein of those.

Is there songs by Leona or someone else you have heard that make you excited for a soulful/throwback sound for Leona?
  • Options
    IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I am honestly so excited for this next album, I really really love the sound of it being very soulful with a throwback sound. Someone posted links to Forgiveness, You Bring Me Down and Mr Magic Touch a few days ago and today I remembered I Know Who I Am, and I honestly love all those songs so much so would love it if the album were in the vein of those.

Is there songs by Leona or someone else you have heard that make you excited for a soulful/throwback sound for Leona?

None of those songs are A-class tho. I like them, sure, but their commercial quality isn't that big. We'll see what happens with this Motown-inspired thing she's keen to go for, something good could turn out from that.
  • Options
    Mike91Mike91 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kind of throwback vibe I'd love for her to do is like what John Newman is doing. His is more "Phil Spector" than Motown but something like "Love Me Again" would be perfect for Leona tbh.

A sound like John Newman mixed with a little Bruno and Adele would be amazing.
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    So guys do you think that Le's label is pleased with CWL performance in general?
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of those songs are A-class tho. I like them, sure, but their commercial quality isn't that big. We'll see what happens with this Motown-inspired thing she's keen to go for, something good could turn out from that.

Oh I know that, but I do love those songs and they are quite soulful, so it makes me incredibly excited for this album from Leona which she is describing as going to be soulful, especially because the songs should be a lot stronger.

She said last week in the interview that it will have a 'tiny' amount of Motown, which I am glad about, I don't really want a normal studio album with a heavy motown sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GreekFan wrote: »
    So guys do you think that Le's label is pleased with CWL performance in general?

I think they are happy, if not surprised, with One More Sleep success but I think they expected album to sell much better. Still, given it was a 3-week campaign and that she managed to sell more than the whole Glassheart era, I think they are satisfied.

I'm really looking forward to the next album campaign. The placement of the album on the market will be crucial. I hope the management takes notes and finds creative ways to place it. The accent would be on longevity of the next album era. I think Leona herself has to step in and not to allow it to end as fast as it did with Glassheart. Obviously, a lot of things will depend on the success of the lead single and the opening weeks sales of the album but even if they aren't perfect I think every album deserves a longer era than GH had.

Still, I'm not too sure the album will be released next year. It would be interesting to see the whole campaign not relying on the X factor performance but I guess that would be too risky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol
    Spirit #20, CWL #29 on Swiss itunes :D
  • Options
    BenFriendBenFriend Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    @Korranh Happy Birthday To You :)
  • Options
    Eliott1301Eliott1301 Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a brilliant era even though it was a bit short. (Think if this wasn't a Xmas album we would be on a second single soon with lots more promo :p) I am ready for the next album now. It's time to get our detective modes on as we will have to hunt for info no doubt as Leona goes I to hiding normally after her albums :(

But anyway, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year all :)
  • Options
    LibbylizLibbyliz Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas day. I had some top of the range head phones bought me, so i played all Leonas albums on them WoW what a sound. Today i have a thumping headache.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenFriend wrote: »
    @Korranh Happy Birthday To You :)
    Thank you :D
  • Options
    lewisfrylewisfry Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys. Leona has plummeted but what do you expect? It's coming to the end of Christmas with the main part of it over. One moe sleep has done amazingly well and so has the album. Now bring on album 5.

I was looking through old Leona songs earlier and her best stuff is definitely her r'n'b influenced tracks.
    You bring me down, forgiveness, etc.

I really think either could work as a single even now. Such great songs, and so different to everything else in the charts yet with an evident hook ( what trouble lacked) :)

All I can say is I hope this next album it's a lot more spirit like... With r'n'b songs being bought along with ballads with a general sound in mind. I hope a few of them at least we're not written with Leona in mind so that she can achieve a more commercial, appealing sound... Like beyonce's old stuff and Rihanna's

I hope Leona still writes a few songs but not the whole album. Like maybe one or two. Songs like yesterday are some of her best.. But than there's fingerprint which I really dislike...

And I really hope Ryan Tedder is willing to write a few tracks for her. AND PLEASE NO GIVING AWAY OF ANY SONG FOR ANY REASON.
  • Options
    Krusty111Krusty111 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital's playing OMS right now, a pleasant surprise when I turned the radio on! I thought they'd have removed all Xmas songs from the playlist now.
  • Options
    fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    lewisfry wrote: »
    Hey guys. Leona has plummeted but what do you expect? It's coming to the end of Christmas with the main part of it over. One moe sleep has done amazingly well and so has the album. Now bring on album 5.

I was looking through old Leona songs earlier and her best stuff is definitely her r'n'b influenced tracks.
    You bring me down, forgiveness, etc.

I really think either could work as a single even now. Such great songs, and so different to everything else in the charts yet with an evident hook ( what trouble lacked) :)

All I can say is I hope this next album it's a lot more spirit like... With r'n'b songs being bought along with ballads with a general sound in mind. I hope a few of them at least we're not written with Leona in mind so that she can achieve a more commercial, appealing sound... Like beyonce's old stuff and Rihanna's

I hope Leona still writes a few songs but not the whole album. Like maybe one or two. Songs like yesterday are some of her best.. But than there's fingerprint which I really dislike...

And I really hope Ryan Tedder is willing to write a few tracks for her. AND PLEASE NO GIVING AWAY OF ANY SONG FOR ANY REASON.

I said that a while ago. Those songs are really great and both are so different to what she's been doing. She needs songs like that :) I'd like her to perform them live at some point.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Watching High Society on channel 5 with the likes of Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly starring in it, and for some reason it's got me so excited for Holiday! next year. So excited at the thought of Leona starring & singing in a film like this.
  • Options
    Eliott1301Eliott1301 Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Krusty111 wrote: »
    Capital's playing OMS right now, a pleasant surprise when I turned the radio on! I thought they'd have removed all Xmas songs from the playlist now.

I don't get why they are lol! I can't play it anymore as it reminds me of Christmas Eve making me feel slightly depressed Xmas is nearly over making me not wanna play it ahaha
  • Options
    fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    This album features three original songs, a cover of a British Christmas rock classic, a cover of an American Christmas rock classic, and five Christmas standards that everybody has heard countless times before.

The three original songs are One more sleep (a Christmas love song), Your hallelujah (in memory of deceased members of her family) and Mr Right. My favourite among them is One more sleep, which seems the obvious choice for release as a single.

The five standards are Winter wonderland, White Christmas, O holy night, Ave Maria (the Schubert version) and Silent night. Leona performs them superbly and, like the other songs here, they have a contemporary production.

The American rock classic, Christmas (baby please come home) was originally recorded by Darlene love for Phil Spector's Christmas album, which a lot of people are familiar with. I've heard several versions of the song, but while the original is still the best, Leona does a fine job with this song.

The British rock classic is Roy Wood and Wizzard's I wish it could be Christmas everyday, which was a UK top 5 hit for them in 1973, since when it has been very much a part of British Christmases, although I don't think it has become popular in America. Apart from not using a children's chorus, another obvious difference in Leona's arrangement of the song is that she sings the first verse at a much slower tempo, with the rest of the song at the expected tempo. Still, it works very well.

This is a great Christmas album by somebody I've not paid attention to, but will in future.

What a great review from Amazon :)
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    At this rate, I'll be playing Christmas, With Love into the summer, lmao. Cannot stop playing it. ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Week #3 for Christmas, With Love on Swiss charts -> #91
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Leona performed "One More Sleep" as well on Fox&Friends :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVF6tNSjqzE

I've made a playlist of all available performances from this era https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmXapkUAxaI&list=PL6vOCu9qzZKnY7MuTlCxKB4_nizwxeFmz
  • Options
    Dean_AdamsDean_Adams Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMS just come on the radio :D
  • Options
    saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Korranh
    happy birthday to you
    happy birthday to you
    happy birthday dear Korranh
    Happy birthday To you

many happy returns ! :)
  • Options
    AdamBunny10AdamBunny10 Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run at #40 on German iTunes and OMS at #89. Wish she had promoted OMS before Xmas day in Germany though! Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saxman25o wrote: »
    Korranh
    happy birthday to you
    happy birthday to you
    happy birthday dear Korranh
    Happy birthday To you

many happy returns ! :)

AHAHAHAHAH thank you ever soo much!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Run at #40 on German iTunes and OMS at #89. Wish she had promoted OMS before Xmas day in Germany though! Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas :)

Me too... It could have garnered lots of sales...
This discussion has been closed.