Options

Anyone got fears/concerns about Capaldi?

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The specification sheets for Doctor 12 have long since been delivered to writers.

He's supposedly very different from Matt. End of Christmas was not written to be Capaldi's Doctor. :)
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mousy wrote: »
    Ok you may call me shallow but I have never seen nor heard of Capaldi before and my immediate response was that he was he was freaky and pretty damn scary/unfriendly looking.
    Of course I am not silly enough to judge a performance on 2 mins on screen but as far as appearances go, I was left feeing very uneasy.
    Have you not seen either 'The Fires of Pompeii' or 'Torchwood: Children of Earth"?
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the kiddies are going to be a problem - they will carry on seeing the Doctor as the hero and the baddies as the excitement. It's the tween girls who don't fancy Peter Capaldi who will switch off, and I doubt they're the ones who were buying sonic screwdriver toys!

I'm excited about the new doctor and, on a shallow level, think he's a lot more attractive and interesting than Matt Smith! But putting that aside, I'm most excited about there being no stupid romantic sub-plot with the assistants.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been viewing the posts and threads on DS over the past couple of days - I cannot believe some of the negativity that's being shown.

I have no fears or concerns regarding Capaldi: I have a certain level of sadness that Matt has left, and a large smidge of anticipation for Calpaldi's portrayal of the Doctor. Will he be great? I'd like to think he will be; time will tell - it always does... :)
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the kiddies are going to be a problem - they will carry on seeing the Doctor as the hero and the baddies as the excitement. It's the tween girls who don't fancy Peter Capaldi who will switch off, and I doubt they're the ones who were buying sonic screwdriver toys!

I'm excited about the new doctor and, on a shallow level, think he's a lot more attractive and interesting than Matt Smith! But putting that aside, I'm most excited about there being no stupid romantic sub-plot with the assistants.

Don't be so sure. There has been older companions in the past, with the potential for romance.
    But i doubt it too. I don't think his age is a problem with kids but if the companions are older too, the producers might fear that. So probably no older companions and yet everything is possible in sci-fi. You could have a multi millions years old character who looks twenty!
    And no, you don't need to be young to have romance but there has been so much talk about his age.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    Capaldi is Baker/McCoy all over again.

Already I have seen feedback from DW's important main fans and they have not taken to Capaldi at all.

I expect 2014 will be the last series, at least for a multi-year hiatus.

Oh, and MOFFAT out!

Who are these 'main fans' and where did you see feedback?

What arrant nonsense you have posted.
    You've simply asked a couple of your Moffat hating troll friends haven't you? Then posted your usual dopey mantra about the series only lasting one more year.
    No facts, no basis in any reality whatsoever. You are a very silly person.

And to take my post back on topic - Concerns about Capaldi? On the basis of a few seconds screen time - No, absolutely not. He's a tremendous actor in anything I've ever seen him in. And I'm going to wait and see what 2014 brings us before making any hasty judgements.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    He was barely in it! And I was quite looking forward to seeing the new outfit :)

For me, he didn't make much of an impact. There was the potentially interesting indication that Clara will take a while to adjust to his Doctor; it was a little bit Colin Bakerish- but he didn't really get the chance to make the character his own. In all the other regenerations I watched (8th Doctor onwards) it felt like the Doctor really had transformed into another character.

As for whether the kiddies will like it, I think they will as he appears to be playing the character like a sort of grizzly bear- a bit cantankerous but actually quite cuddly. I am also assuming that Capaldi's Doctor won't be sexing it up so there won't be any of that 'stuff that goes over the children's heads'.
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I think the opposite to a safe actor. He's a lot older than the others(in fact 2nd oldest doctor ever). The chemestry of the dr and companion will have to change as will all the running around thats been done for the past few years. I'd hardly say thats a safe choice.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greymarl wrote: »
    I didn't have any concerns or fears about Capaldi until I saw the last few minutes of the Christmas episode and now I do have a couple of niggling doubts.

But, I'm hoping that what we saw then was just the now-obligatory 'mad Doctor who's lost his marbles a bit' acting that seems to always come after modern regenerations, and that when we see Capaldi properly in the role he will be a bit less hyper. The biggest comfort is in knowing what an accomplished, talented chap he is - I think the show's in safe hands with him.

Its almost like the script said - 'Mad Doctor who's lost his marbles a bit' - I must say he played that very well! So yes, hopefully he plays "Not so mad doctor, he's found his marbles' very well too :)

p.s. sort of unrelated, but I saw this for the first time yesterday: Matt Smiths first day on Doctor Who-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqynDW3drWY
  • Options
    emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I'm a Tennant and Smith fan girl, but I think Capaldi is going to be brilliant. A lot darker and serious doctor I think.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be good to see Peter Capaldi Doctor looking a little more smarter, maybe a nice suit from Saville Row, Clara could help choose.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma_marie wrote:
    A lot darker and serious doctor I think.
    He definitely should read books just to clarify what Clara says. She is a teacher and maybe she can teach The Doctor a few things.:D
  • Options
    mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you not seen either 'The Fires of Pompeii' or 'Torchwood: Children of Earth"?

Ah, actually I have seen fires of pompeii!!! Thanks:D

(never seen Torchwood though). Didnt really like Capaldi as the Pompeii Dad now I know who he is, that makes it worse!!!!!! Quite worried now.:cry:
    All will be fine, I'm sure *repeats mantra*

By the way, I am not a young fan girl, been watching Who since the Pertwee days (Im 48). I disappeared somwehere at the end of the McCoy/Baker reign and came back with New Who, as many did.

As for old and young, I always got a hint of romance with Pertwee and Jo, didnt you all?
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to Capaldi a lot.

I am a massive fan of most of his recent work, especially, of course, The Thick of It. Now I know we're not going to see a sweary, offensive Doctor, but it's a nice change to see the show take on an actor with a more serious look.

I've loved watching Matt Smith these past few years as I did Tennant before him, but the story lines were sometimes silly and I personally felt the show took a more childish orientation. I didn't even follow it properly for a while, just kind of watching for the sake of it.

I am looking forward to hopefully seeing the show take a more mature and grounded direction. If the show loses some child fans (which I doubt it will anyway) then so be it, but the show is also for adults, it's not a CBBC series after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Like many others, I was fairly neutral on the idea of Peter Capaldi taking over the role. But I was not at all impressed with his brief appearance the other night. Maybe it was the contrast of the younger vibrant Matt with the greyed and older Peter that made it disorientating. But I also think Moffat made a mistake in hinting at romantic potential between Matt and Clara because I just can't see that working with Peter's version of the doctor at all.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi's debut was seriously flat compared to Matt Smith's but that doesn't mean he can be judged on those few seconds alone.

You can't tell what he's going to be like from such a short scene. It's ridiculous to make a judgement until after his first full episode at least.

I am well used to watching older Doctors from Classic Who. About time we had one in the new series.

I am absolutely willing him to be the most popular Doctor ever and prove to those against an older Doctor that it can work and I hope he makes all the doubters eat their words in the same way Matt Smith did.

Go Capaldi, Go!
  • Options
    emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member

Lol, if the doctor turned up on my doorstep, I'd probably fancy him if he was Bill hartnell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think by showing Matt as an older Doctor, it has slightly paved the way for Peter and goes back to The Doctor as seen in the earlier Doctors.
    Eventually, will it mean The Doctor becomes gradually younger again over time? :confused:
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    Capaldi is Baker/McCoy all over again.

Already I have seen feedback from DW's important main fans and they have not taken to Capaldi at all.

I expect 2014 will be the last series, at least for a multi-year hiatus.

Oh, and MOFFAT out!

This is so hilarious it has to be a wind-up ...

Who exactly are DW's 'main fans' and what do they do/say that qualifies them as 'important'?

Why is Capaldi 'Baker/McCoy all over again'?

DW certainly faces a challenge when he starts: it'll most likely be up against a Simon Cowell-refuelled X Factor, and Moffat needs reining in so he can return to form, or he should hand over to Toby Whithouse (the only man qualified for the job) ... but Capaldi himself is technically brilliant - so I hardly think he can be held entirely responsible for the show's fate.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One series only! Sorry Peter. It's just not meant to be a long term gig. He's not going to come close to Matt Smith (when at his best).

And I think Time Lord Moffat has screwed up the dynamic between the Doctor and Clara. It worked perfectly with Matt and Jenna-Louise Coleman cos they were similar sort of age. Now it's like some older guy with some young woman. It's going to feel so different and not in good way. Oh well.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    mousy wrote: »
    Ah, actually I have seen fires of pompeii!!! Thanks:D

(never seen Torchwood though). Didnt really like Capaldi as the Pompeii Dad now I know who he is, that makes it worse!!!!!! Quite worried now.:cry:
    All will be fine, I'm sure *repeats mantra*

By the way, I am not a young fan girl, been watching Who since the Pertwee days (Im 48). I disappeared somwehere at the end of the McCoy/Baker reign and came back with New Who, as many did.

As for old and young, I always got a hint of romance with Pertwee and Jo, didnt you all?

I seem to recall at the time, when Jon Pertwee was asked in an interview if the Doctor slept with his assistants, he replied (with a twinkle in his eye, I am sure !) 'Of course - wouldn't you?' It rather begs the question about Jamie, though ...:o
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    One series only! Sorry Peter. It's just not meant to be a long term gig. He's not going to come close to Matt Smith (when at his best).

And I think Time Lord Moffat has screwed up the dynamic between the Doctor and Clara. It worked perfectly with Matt and Jenna-Louise Coleman cos they were similar sort of age. Now it's like some older guy with some young woman. It's going to feel so different and not in good way. Oh well.

:confused:

So what about the Second Doctor and Victoria or Zoe? The Third Doctor and Jo? The Fourth Doctor and Sarah or Leela? The Fifth Doctor and Tegan? I could continue ... but it's all there.

The only thing that's different is in your head. And if you feel that way, fine. But this is a precedent that's been set many times before. No cause for concern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Capaldi will do just fine providing the scripts are up to scratch and match his version of the Doctor. the first seconds of him did have me thinking oh dear Moffat is still mindsetted on the DT and MS Doctors. But knowing Capaldi has been a stalwart fan of the show his input (if allowed) will help shape what his Doctor becomes and the new direction will be water tight and flow well. But with Moffat still at the helm I'm not so sure and this will scupper Capaldi's chance of truely shining.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will admit I found Capaldis first moments strangely underwhelming. After the excitement and the tease of those fierce eyes I expected more than another 'Oh look! We are crashing! And oh look! I am going to make an oddly humorous remark about my physiology...again!'. It felt like a lazy retread. Don't think its cause for alarm but i was expecting something very different. Whatever it was it wasn't what we got.

But it was only a few seconds. I don't think its cause for alarm. Capaldi will hopefully put his stamp on the show and be fantastic. And if he isn't? Well much as I am a massive fan of Moffat (no s*** Sherlock they all cry!) if he doesn't do Capaldi justice and just does a lazy version of Eleven but slightly older well then his time as showrunner really is well and truly up. Not that I think this will happen. Just looking on the dark side and thinking of the worst.

But fact is this is something of an open goal. You have another world class actor and a chance to refresh everything. So lets hope they do it.
  • Options
    mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope that Capaldi keeps what I liked so much from David Tennant and Matt Smith. That sense of infectious excitement of the adventure with a twinkle in the eye. Who wouldnt want to go with them?