Options

Death Comes to Pemberley, BBC1&HD, 8.15pm 26 Dec; 9pm 27 Dec; 9pm 28 Dec

Comments

• Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »
    It probably helped that I was totally infatuated with the 2007 tv series and Rupert Penry-Jones in uniform. :blush::blush:

It really is a lovely story, and that letter was so heartfelt and beautiful.

Ah now you have me thinking I must go and watch my version. I have the earlier Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root version which in my humble opinion is the best Austin adaption of them all - and I like them all. Lovely as Rupert's Wentworth is I just loved Ciaran's noble longing - brilliant. There was not a bad performance in it and everyone seemed perfectly cast.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Ah now you have me thinking I must go and watch my version. I have the earlier Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root version which in my humble opinion is the best Austin adaption of them all - and I like them all. Lovely as Rupert's Wentworth is I just loved Ciaran's noble longing - brilliant. There was not a bad performance in it and everyone seemed perfectly cast.

that's my favourite version too!! I loved Ciaran Hinds as Capt Wentworth and Amanda Root was a wonderful Anne Elliot...wasn't Simon Russell Beale in it as Charles Musgrove?
    A superb adaptation i'm so glad you mentioned it.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I made the mistake of watching the newer version first, so RPJ is Wentworth for me. I can feel his pain, anger, love radiating from him, which for me, in my dense swoon-filled brain, was easier to pick up on.

I seem to recall Hinds was more subtle. I don't deny how good the earlier version is, however. Amanda Root is sublime. You can see the suffering in her eyes behind her gentle face. Outstanding performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rednell wrote: »
    I think I made the mistake of watching the newer version first, so RPJ is Wentworth for me. I can feel his pain, anger, love radiating from him, for me in me dense swoon-filled brained to pick up on, whereas I recall Hinds was more subtle. I don't deny how good the earlier version is, however. Amanda Root is sublime. You can see the suffering in her eyes behind her gentle face. Outstanding performance.

She really is superb in it isn't she? The way you feel her inner life is wonderful and the way she conveys weariness with little flashes of what we know to be her "old self"......i love her moments of blossoming.....
    Quick word for Sophie Thompson as Mrs Musgrove totally brilliant!
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust me. It's not worth checking out. Elliot Cowan was in Luther and The Ambassadors recently. He played a hammy actor who performed a one man version of Frankenstein (and yes it was as bad as it sounds). :D

Haha! Blimey, is that even possible??! Lol! Cowan must one helluva of an actor to pull that one off convincingly.

I remember when ITV? announced they were going to broadcast Lost in Austen. The idea alone was simply baffling. Probably not as bad as a book I saw in Waterstones last year where an author imagined the characters of P&P as vampires. Yeah, I assumed it was written when vampire stories were all the rage. I think it's meant to be humourous or something.

ETA: Could've been zombies now I come to think of it. Either way, one word for it: weird!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Haha! Blimey, is that even possible??! Lol! Cowan must one helluva of an actor to pull that one off convincingly.

he was great...his appalling performance of Frankenstein is genius :D

ETA it might be on iPlayer as it was repeated the other night (last night?) oo IT IS ON iPLAYER
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I remember when ITV? announced they were going to broadcast Lost in Austen. The idea alone was simply baffling. Probably not as bad as a book I saw in Waterstones last year where an author imagined the characters of P&P as vampires. Yeah, I assumed it was written when vampire stories were all the rage. I think it's meant to be humourous or something.

He played all the parts at once. It was quite funny it was so hammy.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me. It's not worth checking out. Elliot Cowan was in Luther and The Ambassadors recently. He played a hammy actor who performed a one man version of Frankenstein (and yes it was as bad as it sounds). :D

Really? I think it's a good take on every girl's dream to meet Mr. Darcy. And EC is seriously yummy as the man himself.
  • Options
    chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Really? I think it's a good take on every girl's dream to meet Mr. Darcy. And EC is seriously yummy as the man himself.

Smoulder alert :D

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/elliot-cowan under benedictrim

and on YT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WOCU7eHzeI#t=1m16s
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually I quite enjoyed it. You have to take it for what it is - a bit of fun.

I have to admit that while I didn't much care about the actress who played Amanda in that, Elliot Cowan is my favourite Darcy, with Colin Firth a close second.

Plus theres a rather funny (and yummy) lake scene ;)

Totally makes it worth a viewing imo :D
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/elliot-cowan under benedictrim

Yep, that's him... wow! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/elliot-cowan under benedictrim ]

It's amazing how those pictures move like that. It's like Harry Potter.

Ooooh The Bletchley Circle is back on 6th January. I wonder if AMM is back in this series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    he was great...his appalling performance of Frankenstein is genius :D

ETA it might be on iPlayer as it was repeated the other night (last night?) oo IT IS ON iPLAYER
    He played all the parts at once. It was quite funny it was so hammy.

Oh, was it Ambassadors? I didn't know it was a comedy. Thought it was some documentary when I lazily and quickly flicked through the channels. I wasn't particularly interested in engaging my brain in something heavy-headed. It's one till 4th Jan; could do with a laugh. Thanks:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, was it Ambassadors? I didn't know it was a comedy. Thought it was some documentary when I lazily and quickly flicked through the channels. I wasn't particularly interested in engaging my brain in something heavy-headed. It's one till 4th Jan; could do with a laugh. Thanks:)

Well it was a "comedy" in the loosest sense of the word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was a "comedy" in the loosest sense of the word.

Oh, that kind of "comedy", eh? Thanks for the forewarning. Still, hammy actor performing Frankenstein!:D As if Frankenstein hasn't been hammed up enough over the decades, haha!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, that kind of "comedy", eh? Thanks for the forewarning. Still, hammy actor performing Frankenstein!:D As if Frankenstein hasn't been hammed up enough over the decades, haha!

:D Yes. Just check out Robert deNiro for the ultimate hamfest of all time. :o
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Elliot Cowan from Lost in Austen is still my all-time favourite Darcy. :kitty:

Mine's Matthew Macfadyen. Lovely gentle eyes. I'm enjoying Matthew Rhys though ;-)
    I've just been reading a load of reviews of the PD James book, and its interesting that one of the most frequent complaints about it is that Elizabeth's character had disappeared; and to some extent Darcy's too. You'd think that the tv adaptation would have been a good opportunity to rectify that.

Let's face it, it's a cr*ppily written book.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Well, longing to read some Jane Austen, I've been looking through her published letters. Just had to share this gem:-

"Mrs. Hall, of Sherborne, was brought to bed yesterday of a dead child, some weeks before she expected, owing to a fright. I suppose she happened unawares to look at her husband"

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, longing to read some Jane Austen, I've been looking through her published letters. Just had to share this gem:-

"Mrs. Hall, of Sherborne, was brought to bed yesterday of a dead child, some weeks before she expected, owing to a fright. I suppose she happened unawares to look at her husband"

nice find!:D:D:D
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched episode 2, after having not particularly enjoyed episode 1 and not being sure whether to give up. I love Jane Austen and know the books pretty well I'd say. But I just wasn't very interested in the whodunnit part of the plot, and much as I love Anna Maxwell Martin, I don't think she has the sparkle and wit of Elizabeth. Darcy is pretty dull, and Col. Fitzwillam seems entirely transformed. The real Col. Fitzwilliam is a pleasant, cheerful chap who is good company and well liked by Elizabeth. This one is grumpy and mysteriously up to stuff, and although I've forgotten her exact words, Lizzie just said mean things about him, which I just don't believe. I can't believe in a Lizzie who gets all tearful and doubts Darcy's love for her, or who criticises Col. Fitzwilliam. I suppose PD James needed to inject some sort of tension and conflict, because a happy ever after romance is a bit dull to watch, but it does seem a bit of a betrayal of well loved and well known characters.

Mind you, it's nowhere near as much of a travesty as Emma Tennant's TERRIBLE sequel to Emma, in which Emma decides that despite having married lovely Mr Knightley, she's actually as lesbian and wants to snog Harriet Smith. Grrr.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I've just watched episode 2, after having not particularly enjoyed episode 1 and not being sure whether to give up. I love Jane Austen and know the books pretty well I'd say. But I just wasn't very interested in the whodunnit part of the plot, and much as I love Anna Maxwell Martin, I don't think she has the sparkle and wit of Elizabeth. Darcy is pretty dull, and Col. Fitzwillam seems entirely transformed. The real Col. Fitzwilliam is a pleasant, cheerful chap who is good company and well liked by Elizabeth. This one is grumpy and mysteriously up to stuff, and although I've forgotten her exact words, Lizzie just said mean things about him, which I just don't believe. I can't believe in a Lizzie who gets all tearful and doubts Darcy's love for her, or who criticises Col. Fitzwilliam. I suppose PD James needed to inject some sort of tension and conflict, because a happy ever after romance is a bit dull to watch, but it does seem a bit of a betrayal of well loved and well known characters.

Mind you, it's nowhere near as much of a travesty as Emma Tennant's TERRIBLE sequel to Emma, in which Emma decides that despite having married lovely Mr Knightley, she's actually as lesbian and wants to snog Harriet Smith. Grrr.

Say what now? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say what now? :o

Quite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emma-Love-Tennant/dp/1857026632 < Lovely reviews!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »

One and a half stars on Amazon. :D It must be really bad because even the worst drivel gets more stars than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One and a half stars on Amazon. :D It must be really bad because even the worst drivel gets more stars than that.

And at least three of the reviews I read said they'd give it zero stars if they could!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Classic Austen!:D Thanks for sharing:)