Options

Would You Rather Live in Australian Extreme Heat -

Comments

• Options
    SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our climate is the best, you don't get too hot or too cold, just right. We don't get the problems that Canada & Australia face.

Just be glad you live here!
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot sun for me.

It will keep me looking good and healthy.:cool:
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    Having to de-ice your own pathways and so on is a drawback? Are the pavements adequately gritted to be safe?

It personally doesn't bother me, I find doing it quite therapeutic...I could be in a minority there though.

We were in downtown today and everything was fine, no problems at all walking. When we came back there were a few icy patches, but you get that living in suburbia! If you come here on holiday and just go to all the tourist bits you are fine. You really need a good pair of winter boots with a very good grip.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and NZ is a lovely place in many ways. I just wonder which is more uncomfortable to live in, extremely hot or extremely cold places.

Given a direct choice, I'd probably opt for extremely cold.

Much of Canada is very warm in the Summer months anyway.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I probably prefer cold to heat but, all things considered, I'd rather live in a desert than in the arctic.

I mean, being hot is uncomfortable but it's not actually troublesome in the same way that snow and ice and sub-zero temperatures are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It personally doesn't bother me, I find doing it quite therapeutic...I could be in a minority there though.

We were in downtown today and everything was fine, no problems at all walking. When we came back there were a few icy patches, but you get that living in suburbia! If you come here on holiday and just go to all the tourist bits you are fine. You really need a good pair of winter boots with a very good grip.

I'd love to visit Canada some time, old Quebec city and so on.

Hmmmm ....

- snowy scenery is prettier than dusty desert landscapes to my eyes

- in colder parts of Canada, you would not necessarily need a fridge or freezer to keep food fresh, keeping down costs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Given a direct choice, I'd probably opt for extremely cold.

Much of Canada is very warm in the Summer months anyway.

Yes, I believe you can have a terrible time with summer heat in some parts of Canada too - some of them which are so cold in the winter also.

I haven't really heard of "bush" fires there, though, (well any equivalent I suppose). I am just terrified of fire. I'd a million times rather freeze to death, than burn to death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I probably prefer cold to heat but, all things considered, I'd rather live in a desert than in the arctic.

I mean, being hot is uncomfortable but it's not actually troublesome in the same way that snow and ice and sub-zero temperatures are.

apart from when you get those terrifying bush fires in Australia?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll take Australia, minus the spiders.

It was between 35 and 40 the whole time I stayed with my parents in southern Oregon in September. I loved opening the door of the air conditioned house to be blasted by a rush of hot air.

I don't think I could cope with a winter in Montreal- though their underground city is a stroke of genius.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are good points in bold. I think fierce heat does make it harder to sleep in a way that extreme cold doesn't, and is generally much more tiring for me personally.

I'm dreading next summer already, after how hot it got this year (I'm in the south east and we had a fair few days 30c and above :cry:).
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have experienced both, and I'd choose Canada all day long.

I spent a month in Australia and it was over 40c. It was just unbearable. Even the locals were struggling. It was a bit of a wasted trip really as I spent most of the time holed up in the hotel with the AC blasting away. When I did venture outside, it was like walking about with an oven strapped to your head. That's not my idea of fun.

Canada on the other hand was much more bearable for me. :) Piles of snow and freezing temps - but I loved it.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canada all the way. I lived in hot countries a lot growing up, and I'd never opt to live in one again; even this last summer was too much for me. Best holiday I ever had was the Norway holiday I took cruising down the coast and crossing the Arctic circle.

I think that the difference is that you can be prepared to get warm, that countries where it's regularly snowing and freezing deal with it better, have adequate systems in place. I know one FM said there was no electricity in areas of Canada due to their weather, but then there are people here in the UK who have now had no electricity for nearly a week due to weather, and some not for the first time this year.

There are extremes of weather and disadvantages to both extremes. I would just choose to suffer the disadvantages of the colder extreme rather than the hotter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I think that the difference is that you can be prepared to get warm, that countries where it's regularly snowing and freezing deal with it better, have adequate systems in place. I know one FM said there was no electricity in areas of Canada due to their weather, but then there are people here in the UK who have now had no electricity for nearly a week due to weather, and some not for the first time this year.

Was it -17 outside temperature? That for me is a massive difference and the reason that ours lasted only 26 hours is that our power lines were underground.

People are still suffering over a week later:
    https://www.facebook.com/TorontoHydro
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it -17 outside temperature? That for me is a massive difference and the reason that ours lasted only 26 hours is that our power lines were underground.

No of course it wasn't -17, so you have a point, although I imagine it felt like it with water up to their waist in some instances, and no homes to remain in. However, it's not a 'my power outage is bigger than your power outage' thread so I'll stop :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It really is absolutely terrible and I feel for those affected, and hope you are not, but to clarify, isn't this ice storm an exceptional, not a usual, winter occurrence?

How do people cope? I remember in 30 Days Of Night, (the movie), when the electricity for the Alaskan town all went down in winter, some people had their own emergency generators to keep warm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if people love the cold weather and hate hot weather then they will be escaping the summer months if they are in certain months.

The temperature never gets up to Australia temps but last summer there were days of around 37C, add in the humidity and add 10C to that. That is for Toronto but I have felt the worst heat in Montreal which probably surprises people. Was there in the summer on holiday and there was one day that was unbearable to be out in. One day, we were walking around trying to stay in the shade as much as possible and constantly drinking water. If we weren't on holiday we would have just stayed inside and gone out in the evening, it was that bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm dreading next summer already, after how hot it got this year (I'm in the south east and we had a fair few days 30c and above :cry:).

I don't think we got that high here, in semi-rural Lancashire. We were a few degrees below the south east. Let's hope it's not as hot in 2014. Must have been unbearable in the south east, you have my sympathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is absolutely terrible and I feel for those affected, and hope you are not, but to clarify, isn't this ice storm an exceptional, not a usual, winter occurrence?

How do people cope? I remember in 30 Days Of Night, (the movie), when the electricity for the Alaskan town all went down in winter, some people had their own emergency generators to keep warm?

It is, but already some people are predicting another one for the middle of January which simply will suck. It is far in advance and lets hope things change. TBH, ice storms seems to happen more in the US.

Our power came back on around 3 on Monday morning. We were ready to go to a hotel on Monday morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if people love the cold weather and hate hot weather then they will be escaping the summer months if they are in certain months.

The temperature never gets up to Australia temps but last summer there were days of around 37C, add in the humidity and add 10C to that. That is for Toronto but I have felt the worst heat in Montreal which probably surprises people. Was there in the summer on holiday and there was one day that was unbearable to be out in. One day, we were walking around trying to stay in the shade as much as possible and constantly drinking water. If we weren't on holiday we would have just stayed inside and gone out in the evening, it was that bad.

I gather that in Australia these days in the 40s and high 30s go on without cooler times for weeks though - there the summer is longer and more consistently overheated for people. I think I could cope with a very severe shorter summer, but not months of heat.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia, I've been to Perth and it was hot but it was bearable.

The cold is depressing, I don't even like it when it is cold in England, Canada would be terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, but already some people are predicting another one for the middle of January which simply will suck. It is far in advance and lets hope things change. TBH, ice storms seems to happen more in the US.

Our power came back on around 3 on Monday morning. We were ready to go to a hotel on Monday morning.

It must have been horrendous. I would hate that; love the snow, but hate feeling freezing and below freezing temperatures.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just choosing between the heat and the cold, of Australia or Canada, which would you prefer to have to live with if theoretically you had to choose between moving to one place or the other?

Here is a picture of a native cactus - http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00003GydLMFrnxA/s/750/750/Prickly-Pear-Cactus-FLO-1407.jpg - and that cactus, along with a number of other cactus species is happily living in the wild...in Canada. Yes, it's from the temperate Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada and that's where I'd go (it's also know for its fruit and vine growing). Similarly, there are areas of Australia that have quite moderate temperatures, e.g. the mountains and southern areas of Victoria and Tasmania.

I spent some time in Victoria, BC and it has a really nice climate plus if you want real cold then get in your car and head north. We came close to emigrating out there after I finished in the Army, in some ways I regret not doing so.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I didn't really notice the heat in New South Wales as they have a lot of water about the place.

It was 41 degrees when I went to Taronga Zoo. It didn't seem any different.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having to de-ice your own pathways and so on is a drawback? Are the pavements adequately gritted to be safe?

I've never come across pavements that have been gritted. Many's the time I've walked on the road rather than the pavemens, which are extremely treacherous.

I lived in Sydney for some years and adored it. Give me heat any day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I've never come across pavements that have been gritted. Many's the time I've walked on the road rather than the pavemens, which are extremely treacherous.

is that in Canada Postit?