Options

Only. fools v minder clash Xmas 86 ?

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Reading David. Jason's (brilliant) autobiography and among many other things he talks about the clash between the then top 2 showe on tv

The clash was only fools " to hull and back v minder " on the orient express
Fools won by getting 17 million (minders figures aren't mentioned
Tho as this was a time of just 4 choices I guess there wasn't much option
Elsewhere

I actually remember watching Minder and recording fools
At this time minder was my must watch. As much as I loved ofah

So for those that remember who did you chose out of these two heavyweights
Also fools hadn't hit the heights then whilst minder had been running 6 years

Edited to say the year May be wrong but think it was 86 ?

Comments

• Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine it was a video at our house. My mum and dad hated both, but possibly disliked David Jason slightly more.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Hull and Back is my favourite of the lot brilliant feature length episode, and I watched one of the later ones too today Strangers On The Shore, many give the 2000+ ones a bit of stick but I enjoyed them.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Reading David. Jason's (brilliant) autobiography and among many other things he talks about the clash between the then top 2 showe on tv

The clash was only fools " to hull and back v minder " on the orient express
    Fools won by getting 17 million (minders figures aren't mentioned
    Tho as this was a time of just 4 choices I guess there wasn't much option
    Elsewhere

I actually remember watching Minder and recording fools
    At this time minder was my must watch. As much as I loved ofah

So for those that remember who did you chose out of these two heavyweights
    Also fools hadn't hit the heights then whilst minder had been running 6 years

Edited to say the year May be wrong but think it was 86 ?

No, To Hull and Back was the Xmas 1985 special, the 86 special was A Royal Flush. I've only seen the odd episode of Minder so I'd have watched OFAH that night!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was a video at our house. My mum and dad hated both, but possibly disliked David Jason slightly more.

So he's not a totally universal national treasure then?
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was 1985. Here's a link to a very good website that features all the Christmas schedules for the five main channels in the history of TV.

http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/

IIRC my family went with OFAH. We might have recorded MOTOE. I can't remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So he's not a totally universal national treasure then?

Might be basied having just read his autobiography and having g grown up watching him but I can't believe anybody not liking him in fact I have never known anybody not liking him still now :o
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Hull and Back is my favourite of the lot brilliant feature length episode, and I watched one of the later ones too today Strangers On The Shore, many give the 2000+ ones a bit of stick but I enjoyed them.

agree about the last few only fools episodes. the last one was important for the story too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might be basied having just read his autobiography and having g grown up watching him but I can't believe anybody not liking him in fact I have never known anybody not liking him still now :o

Edited
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    agree about the last few only fools episodes. the last one was important for the story too

Was gonna be another one in 2011 according to Jason but passing of John Sullivan put paid to that
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,961
    Forum Member
    I would have have probably watched Minder mainly because the family would've wanted to keep Only Fools... on tape for a while. 'To Hull And Back' is probably my favourite episode though (only 'Jolly Boys Outing' would rival it for me).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I would have have probably watched Minder mainly because the family would've wanted to keep Only Fools... on tape for a while. 'To Hull And Back' is probably my favourite episode though (only 'Jolly Boys Outing' would rival it for me).

My favourite Xmas special was the opera one in which Rodney falls in love
    With a high class girl but understand it wasn't one of Jason's favourites
    Due to lots of technical hitches plus contractual. Rows over music
    Good co stars in Diane Langton and Jack headley
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I would say that Only Fools was equally as established as Minder in 1985, but then I preferred the earlier series of both anyway.

Strange how there hasn't been that many comedy dramas that have come very close to either series in the years since. Del Boy and Arthur Daley were such brilliant characters.

Maybe it's because there was only so much choice, and TV makers could put more eggs into one basket?

Still watch the old Minders on ITV4 - they recently showed the episode of the pop star who'd faked his death, with Mel Smith as his manager. Shame they didn't get him to do more, as he was as good an actor as comedian.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Del Boy and Arthur Daley were actually quite similar characters, with their catchphrases and penchant for selling dodgy goods :D
    A one-off crossover episode would have been very interesting indeed!

Not that it would have ever happened as they were on rival channels though.

To think there was such a choice back in 1985, compared with the rubbish we are subjected to at Christmas these days!

Minder was certainly at its peak by the mid-1980s. Only Fools' Christmas specials were just starting to establish as a regular fixture, but it was already winning the ratings battle.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite Xmas special was the opera one in which Rodney falls in love
    With a high class girl but understand it wasn't one of Jason's favourites
    Due to lots of technical hitches plus contractual. Rows over music
    Good co stars in Diane Langton and Jack headley

No I hate that one, David went OTT at the dinner scene in that ep. We lost sympathy for Del he was being downright nasty to Rodders.

To Hull and Back is a much better episode what with Roy Bullshit of the Yard Slater in it for the 2nd time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ooh, there are plenty who don't like him.

I like him, but he has shown some very poor judgement at times such as doing that terrible royal bodyguard thing. I thought he was excellent in OFAH and the early Frost episodes though.