Options

why do people eat white bread.

Comments

• Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will_bun wrote: »
    They like it because they know no better and have not tasted or been offered anything but white bread, council estates have a lot to answer for.

What an awful snob you are.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I never touch that steam cooked, soggy white pap that is passed off by the supermarkets as bread. My daily guilty pleasure is the French, wood oven baked, sourdough Poilane Country Loaf.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    I wasn't knocking cheap bread but a 50p white sliced loaf doesn't taste as nice as a white poppy seed loaf from the bakers. Soz, but it doesn't. (god I so want a large poppy seeded loaf right now.. bugger! I'll be dreaming of that now!) :(

ohhh... a chunk of crusty white poppy seeded bloomer just with salted butter on it.

mmmmm....

And for your info all the food in my house is Tesco everyday value brand(expect the cat food) and I can't afford to put my central heating on this year. Doesn't make the bread taste any nicer though!

That depends if you like poppy seed loaves I would suggest, as a diabetic I have to eat whole wheat not white and I am really not keen on seeds on my bread. So taste and healthwise the 50p loaf is fine for me.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather eat fresh white bread as opposed to the heavily processed, sliced "brown" stuff you buy in a supermarket.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We have a local baker who uses the best ingredients and also bakes in a traditional way , it is the best white bread I have ever tasted, there is nothing wrong with white bread if baked properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We have a local baker who uses the best ingredients and also bakes in a traditional way , it is the best white bread I have ever tasted, there is nothing wrong with white bread if baked properly.

There is if you are diabetic and since being diagnosed and keeping it under control by diet alone I have realised just how bad some of these foods are generally white bread being one of the horrors ! But if taste is all that matters then go for it, food for me has become much more than taste alone.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    There is if you are diabetic and since being diagnosed and keeping it under control by diet alone I have realised just how bad some of these foods are generally white bread being one of the horrors ! But if taste is all that matters then go for it, food for me has become much more than taste alone.

To each their own, molliepops. As another diabetic, I only eat bread occasionally, as to my mind it's all bad. So when I indulge I make sure it's something I enjoy and for me there's nothing better than white San Francisco sourdough. Fortunately I only see it occasionally here, but when I go home to visit my family all bets are off! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    To each their own, molliepops. As another diabetic, I only eat bread occasionally, as to my mind it's all bad. So when I indulge I make sure it's something I enjoy and for me there's nothing better than white San Francisco sourdough. Fortunately I only see it occasionally here, but when I go home to visit my family all bets are off! :D

I have managed to get down to two slices a day, but cut out all other carbs so no potatoes or rice or pasta. Just can't seem to stop that bread with my breakfast. Would if I could without feeling too hard done by LOL
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer wholemeal bread, usually Hovis loaves. Although, I wouldn't mind giving rye or that Burgen soya bread a go. Can anyone give me an idea as to what they taste like?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rye bread is denser / firmer in texture and has a slightly malty taste, very slight. Lovely.

The Burgen is much like wholemeal breads.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A beef burger in wholemeal is just wrong, lovely other wise though.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I prefer wholemeal bread, usually Hovis loaves. Although, I wouldn't mind giving rye or that Burgen soya bread a go. Can anyone give me an idea as to what they taste like?

Get youself some stoneground flour, yeast, salt and a knob of butter and you have the ingrediants for real wholemeal bread. What Hovis is selling is soggy brown pap promoted as healthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    will_bun wrote: »
    QUOTE.
    PLUS ITS BAD FOR YOU.
    I know that there are many people in the UK and around the world enjoy eating white bread. But what I am here to tell you today may really shock and surprise you. White bread is not good for your health. Not only is it not good for your health, it’s a real danger to your health!

White bread is so dangerous that the Swiss government has taken a very important measure to get its population to stop eating this food.
    Switzerland has placed a tax on the purchase of white bread. The tax
    money is given to bakers to reduce the price of whole wheat bread to
    encourage people to switch to something other than white bread. God bless the Swiss because they are doing something really great!
    http://avaha1978.hubpages.com/hub/The-health-risks-of-eating-white-bread

Well despite eating white bread (homemade with *gasp* white flour and shop bought) for 37 years, I've yet to see the effects of the 'poisoning which is mentioned in that link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy wholemeal bread for around 50p a loaf, what's the big deal.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vixcamp wrote: »
    Well despite eating white bread (homemade with *gasp* white flour and shop bought) for 37 years, I've yet to see the effects of the 'poisoning which is mentioned in that link.

Exactly!

Also I wish people would just use Goggle to check things when they put claims like "white bread tis poison cos it's bleached!!" on a thread.

The EU actually does not allow the use of bleaching agents in flour anymore (since 1995) so is moot for anyone living in the EU.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/breadflourguide.pdf

Note that as part of these legislative changes, the use of the flour bleaching agents, e.g. chlorine and chlorine dioxide is no longer allowed. Therefore claims for the use of unbleached flour are meaningless and should be avoided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour#Bleached_flour

All bleaching and maturing agents (with the possible exception of ascorbic acid) have been banned in the EU.

Plus Switzerland are not part of the EU.

Nothing wrong with EU white flour! nom nom nom :D
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Modern white bread has all kinds of things injected into it - including a form of fat and a lot of salt - to make it last longer and bake quicker. The fresh white bread your local baker would make 50 years ago was healthier, as is freshly baked French bread.

Cheap chickens have things pumped into them to make them grow faster etc.

There's actually little wrong with most food we eat today - in its purist form, instead of the supermarket 'quick-fix' variety.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Modern white bread has all kinds of things injected into it - including a form of fat and a lot of salt - to make it last longer and bake quicker. The fresh white bread your local baker would make 50 years ago was healthier, as is freshly baked French bread.

Cheap chickens have things pumped into them to make them grow faster etc.

There's actually little wrong with most food we eat today - in its purist form, instead of the supermarket 'quick-fix' variety.

Although, the good old British convenience sliced loaf has been a big import for France.

Lidl's are doing freshly baked bread in-store now. However, it is made in Germany and shipped to Britain frozen, then baked in-store as required day by day. Apparently, it's been a big success for them. Quite a large initial investment as they had additional freezer space put in to store the stock.

I buy part-baked baguettes from Lidl, which only take 10 minutes to do in the oven - really good value and very convenient while being freshly baked.

I'm not sure fresh bread is healthier for me, as I always eat more of it! :-) Sliced bread is easier to leave in the cupboard!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrissons' melon and pumpkin seed bread is one of my favourites (only the one in the full-sized pack, not the half-size one, which is different). I also enjoy many of the so-called artisan breads, although I don't enjoy paying for them.

When it comes to toast though, it just has to be thick-sliced white - not fussed as long as it isn't a real budget-priced concoction.

Rye bread has to be one of the most disgusting things ever to be inflicted on the tastebuds. It is absolutely rank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rye bread has to be one of the most disgusting things ever to be inflicted on the tastebuds. It is absolutely rank

:D

I can see how it's a bit marmite, but I love it. Especially with pastrami and mustard.

Where's a New York deli when you need one?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White bread exists because bacon sandwiches made with any kind of bread is just wrong.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A chip butty has to be served on white bread, white buttered bread with salt, vinegar and ketchup on the chips.

One of the biggest disappointments I had happened in a cafe in Ludlow. I had an awful hangover so ordered a 'chip butty'. The 'thing' that arrived almost ruined my life. The bread was malted brown bread which would have been lovely but not for a chip butty! It had chips in it but also rocket, Parmesan shavings and balsamic vinegar. I wanted to cry.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    :D

I can see how it's a bit marmite, but I love it. Especially with pastrami and mustard.

Where's a New York deli when you need one?!
    Is that any variety of Rye?

Have you tried the dark brown rye bread from ASDA?

I doubt it bares any resemblance to decent rye bread served in a US deli
    I would hope not anyway :(
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I dont like bread full stop so white seems the least horrible

I use sandwich thins, bread is just like a chewy disgusting texture

how people eat ready made sandwiches from shops I dont know - the bread is always 'wet'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is that any variety of Rye?

Have you tried the dark brown rye bread from ASDA?

I doubt it bares any resemblance to decent rye bread served in a US deli
    I would hope not anyway :(

Any variety will do, but pumpernickel is the best, imo. I'll have a look in ASDA the next time I'm there!

A while back my husband brought home some (not dark) rye with caraway seeds he found at Waitrose. I used it for burgers topped with mustard, swiss cheese and sauerkraut. Delicious.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a bread maker, it is a revelation, fresh home baked bread whenever you want it. And you know exactly what's gone into it.